• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD- Should I play at 60 or 75hz? V-sync On

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Internal

Coming from CRt's I've always thought the more the refresh rate the better.
But is this true with LCD's?

I usually use V-sync so does that play into this?

THX

If you enable V-Sync at 60hz, you limit the frame rate of the game to 60fps to stop the graphics card generating images faster than the LCD can accept them and hence stops tearing.

60fps is MORE than enough for any game, no matter what anyone says. It's all in their heads.

:)

Vsync works in evil ways , if a game doesnt support triple buffering then you're performance can be drastically reduced when running with Vsync ..for example if you run at 60hz refresh and your PC isnt able to keep the game at a solid 60fps then the frame rate will get cut in HALF (30fps) ,im sure there's articles out there to explain it better than me but basically the higher the refresh rate the better off you are. Not many games support triple buffering due to the added input lag that occurs.

I have a habit of running 100hz refresh on my CRT.

Heres one article via google search: http://tech.vault9.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=22524

Gaming on an LCD with a 60hz refresh rate with V-Sync is fine, I can play for hours before my eyes get tired, mainly because its late at night XD.

legionaire45 said:
Gaming on an LCD with a 60hz refresh rate with V-Sync is fine, I can play for hours before my eyes get tired, mainly because its late at night XD.

Er.. that didnt make much sense considering LCD's dont refresh the same way as a CRT.. 60hz on a CRT would be painful on my eyes after extended periods yes.. but on an LCD refresh rate doesnt matter when it comes to eye strain.

IMHO, which may be wrong, LCD's don't have refresh rates, only response times. THe backlight on the LCD is ALWAYS on. It's not refreshing. If you take a camcorder and look at an LCD screen, you would not see the screen scrolling like you would on a CRT.

So I would say that on LCDs, the more RESPONSE TIME the better. I turn on Vsync to prevent tearing also.

Your 1900XTX should be able to handle the LCD at 75Hz and Vsync just fine. Especially since your monitor can only do 1280x1024.

Maviryk said:
IMHO, which may be wrong, LCD's don't have refresh rates, only response times. THe backlight on the LCD is ALWAYS on. It's not refreshing. If you take a camcorder and look at an LCD screen, you would not see the screen scrolling like you would on a CRT.

So I would say that on LCDs, the more RESPONSE TIME the better. I turn on Vsync to prevent tearing also.

Your 1900XTX should be able to handle the LCD at 75Hz and Vsync just fine. Especially since your monitor can only do 1280x1024.

Yea thats true but the rules of vsync still apply to LCDs when it comes to refresh rates ..so if you're running 60hz refresh then games wont run any faster than 60FPS. , 75hz refresh would allow 75FPS max etc.

Back