• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

racing wheel..worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My roommate has one for his PS2, and he absolutely loves it. I don't know how much he spent on it, but he said it makes games like GT4 (which he plays constantly) a lot more enjoyable. Still though, 70 bucks is a lot of money.

I have that exact wheel and I love it. The feel of the actual wheel is a grippy rubber and it feels awesome. The pedals have a different pressure feel to them (the brake pedal is a good bit harder to press down on than the gas) and this makes the pedals feel almost like a real car, not quite, but close enough. Another feature I like is this: I use my wheel on carpet and I was afraid the pedals would slide around when pressing down on them but it comes with these "teeth" that dig into the carpet and keep the pedals in place.

I almost never use the sequential gearbox on the side as it just seems out of place but the paddle shifters are very nice! They are a great addition in realistic games like GTR (and GTR 2 that you are planning on getting) and add a lot of depth to a race.

Overall for the price, I would definetely recommend this wheel.

I got mine on eBay like a year something ago for dirt cheap, like $55 shipped and it was brand new never even been touched. It is a lot of fun using it, you just have to find racing games to use it with. I haven't actually used it in a while...

It depends on the game, for some they work great with for others they're worthless. I've got a MadCatz one that works with all last gen systems (xbox, ps2, Dreamcast, GameCube). It was really cool at first but the novelty wore off fairly quick.

Yea, I've tried using mine on the ps2 and It just doesn't work very good. However, I really only use it for the PC anyways with sims like GTR and GTL. With those two, and some other sim style racing games (like richard burns rally), it shines.

Is there a racing wheel setup that has a clutch? and a game to go with? That would make it interesting.

ziggo0 said:
Is there a racing wheel setup that has a clutch? and a game to go with? That would make it interesting.

There are a couple but for what they cost you could buy a Wii, 360 or a Conroe CPU.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-963416-0403-G25-Racing-Wheel/dp/B000GP8448

Especially the Ferrari one that uses the real wheel pedals and shifter from the Enzo $10,000, YIKES!!!!
Can't find link for it, have it in one of my STUFF magazines.

I would say yes for sure. I had one for my PS2 back in the day and it made some games that I thought to be pretty stupid extremly fun. The shifting with a good wheel just makes the games seem so much better.

I got the momo racing wheel. The driving experience is good; however, the controller isn't as durable as my microsoft sidewinder ff wheel. My microsoft sidewinder FF wheel lasted 7 years. before that I had a thrustmaster T2 wheel that lasted 6 years. The momo racing wheel offers a good driving experience but feels less durable and I don't think it will last 7 years. Also, you can get a clutch easy if you just get some extra peddles. I have peddles from old wheels that I have setup as a clutch.

you should get a Driving force pro if you are cheap. it can be adjusted from anywhere between 180 degrees to 900.

the G25 is much much better. 2 motors instead of 1. it is made out of leather and steel instead of plastics. it has clutch pedal and 6speed/sequential shifter. 900 degrees and paddles as well.

I have a dfp i am happy with... but i am deffinatly buying the G25 when it comes out :D. the G25 is awsome.!!

G25>DFP>Momo
www.liveforspeed.net

twEEkerAreUs said:
I got mine on eBay like a year something ago for dirt cheap, like $55 shipped and it was brand new never even been touched. It is a lot of fun using it, you just have to find racing games to use it with. I haven't actually used it in a while...

you gave me an idea :) . i ordered one on ebay just now for $48 shipped.

elitebear4 said:
you gave me an idea :) . i ordered one on ebay just now for $48 shipped.

Heh yeah, I really need to buy some racing games here. GT Legends demo was AMAZING when I tried it out a while ago but I think it has Starforce blahhhhh. Need For Speed sucks using steering wheels, at least competitively online but the cop chasing mode using it rocks.

twEEkerAreUs said:
Heh yeah, I really need to buy some racing games here. GT Legends demo was AMAZING when I tried it out a while ago but I think it has Starforce blahhhhh.
GT Legends was more fun than GTR imo. Its an awesome game.

hey just to give you guys an update, i got my momo wheel today and im loving every minute of it! gtr2 is simply amazing with it.

Back