• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Zone Alarm Pro worth Buying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

I have zone alarm basic firewall and i love it it tells me who's looking at my computer or bad behavior from hackers. I thought of buying Zone alarm pro because of the triple defense firewall and its not too expensive too. Give me you idea. All opinions are excepted

If you're going to actually SPEND MONEY on a firewall, please please make it a hardware firewall.

Use something like tiny personal firewall (or if you must, zone alarm free) to see what programs try to send outbound traffic, but for a firewall-firewall that you depend on, don't use software. They're intrinsically insecure on windows machines.

No, not even Zone ALarm personal is worth it. It is run by a company out of Israel and ZA has been known to send custom .dll's back to their servers in Israel....it's very suspicious.

I myself use Filseclab firewall now.

Filseclab firewal does it tell when intruders enter your computer or any websites?

WeezleXX89 said:
Filseclab firewal does it tell when intruders enter your computer or any websites?

Nah it's a more advanced firewall, but that's more or less why I like it. But it is free, and like I said, more advanced so it's easy to customize and see EXACTLY what is going in and out of your computer, from what IP, and port, etc. You can set rules for all programs, all kinds of options for those rules, etc. It's a very slim program too, unlike many firewalls.

InThrees said:
If you're going to actually SPEND MONEY on a firewall, please please make it a hardware firewall.

Use something like tiny personal firewall (or if you must, zone alarm free) to see what programs try to send outbound traffic, but for a firewall-firewall that you depend on, don't use software. They're intrinsically insecure on windows machines.

:thup:

a hardware firewall will be a lot more secure and a good one can tell you a lot more than a soft fw (but it does require a certain level of know-how)
they're cheap too these days, you can get a pretty good one from netgear in form of router/fw

D

I've had ZoneAlarm Pro firewall versions 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 and as soon as my 6.0 subscription was up I ditched it. It will slow your computer down in many ways, interfere with net surfing, and takes some serious memory usgae to run. I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

If you want further reviews of firewalls go to the Wilders Security Forums and scroll down to their Other Firewalls forum. Very, very informative.

WeezleXX89 said:
so your saying GET RID OF ZONE ALARM? Ill try that advanced one
Thanks guys. lol

The main proviso most have pointed out is that you should not depend on ANY software firewall, as a hardware firewall is vastly superior, readily available and may even cost less than what you would have paid for ZA Pro.

when you install Filseclab fire wall. Profession edition. when you first connected to the internet, do you get alot of thing popping up like allow or chioce? so far its cool. I know nothing about do you think you could tell me hints or how to run it. lol

Back