• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why an Athlon XP?....my TB 1333 @ 1575 is still fast..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

App

Can somebody convince me why I should buy an XP 1900+ while my TB 1333 is still 'high' at 1575? So far the XP has not convince me that I will make a major 'Warp' jump. What do you think?

Personally, i would keep the 1333 @ 1575, but then again, with the same oc %, you could hit near 1900MHz with the 1900+. But i would wait before the 2100+ or 2200+ comes out before upgrading as you already have a great chip :)

I was faced with this dilemma a couple weeks ago when ordering my 8KHA+.

I already had an 8K7A+ with a 1.4GHz Tbird strapped to it overclocked to 1.66GHz on a 166MHz bus and it plenty fast. I couldn't imagine much more.

So when ordering a processor to go with that 8KHA+ I weighed the amount of cash a new 1.4GHz would be ($120 guaranteed stepping OEM) to an XP1900 ($258 OEM) and it was no contest.

I like to keep up with the latest just as much as the next person, but there has to be an unbelievable performance difference to make me spend more than double for it.

App said:
Can somebody convince me why I should buy an XP 1900+ while my TB 1333 is still 'high' at 1575? So far the XP has not convince me that I will make a major 'Warp' jump. What do you think?

If you are just looking to upgrade your chip then I see absolutely no reason. If you're putting together another system and looking at your options I'd say go with the XP1600+. It's only $8 more than the t-bird at the same mhz but it should perform a little better.

The additional memory bandwitdh is worth it with the XP, but by MHZ alone stick with what ya got, my little AVIA makes me happy.

well my reason for upgrading to an xp is noise ...

my swifty + delta combo and the 4 sunon 50cfm case fans are the main reason i can run my 1.2 MP at 1.53. however, the damn computer sounds like a freaking jet engine .. i can't even talk on the phone and be next to the comp ... and don't even think about sleeping with the computer on.

i'm ditching the sunon's for some quiet ys tech fans at a way lower cfm. the swifty + delta combo will be replaced by a millenium glaciator.

with the aforementioned cooling, there is no way the MP will be stable at anything over 1.4 and since i've had it all the way to 1.53 i'd feel kinda cheap for running my system at less than what its capable of if u know what i mean. i ordered a xp1800 and hopefully i'll see 1700mhz AND a much much quieter computer.

i tolerated the delta and sunon's for a couple of months but alas, i want to keep my sanity.

Back