• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight Simulator X is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont think the cats over head should be that much more then nvidia control panel...
many tests showed the difference, ATI drivers got more overhead for the CPU
it seems FS X is just poorly coded more so
QFT! It sux, same code as FS2000/FS2002/FS2004, same problems, just new graphics. But how to explain why a simple 7600GT outperforms HD2900XT? More CPU overhead, what else? ATI drivers ever been good? In our dreams maybe, we can wish but the truth is still out there and sometimes making itself obvious.

at least yall arent flying the latest (and yes i just got flightgear 1.0) alternative with a mouse.
even the open source stuff is a pig!

this sloppy software stuff is about to reach its peak.

hardware is dead (for now) so we need to light a fire under these useless coders.....

many tests showed the difference, ATI drivers got more overhead for the CPU

QFT! It sux, same code as FS2000/FS2002/FS2004, same problems, just new graphics. But how to explain why a simple 7600GT outperforms HD2900XT? More CPU overhead, what else? ATI drivers ever been good? In our dreams maybe, we can wish but the truth is still out there and sometimes making itself obvious.

i doubt it is cat's overhead alone, otherwise we would see it happning in all other games aswell... which wouldnt explain why ATI beats nvida in other tests if their over head for drives is SO much more, i doubt it is even a factor that would make a diff.

I hate to drag up a dead thread, but ACES is dead and so is any chance FSX will perform to promise...MSFS is now a dead issue...

No it isn't... I just bought it! :)

And MS said that they will continue to support and create Flight Simulator titles (since it's their longest-running series next to Word... I think there was a version on Windows 3.1)

Anyway... glad you brought back this thread. I was looking for it. I just started out and I have all kinds of questions.

This game is really fun. My brother thinks it's boring that I plot in a course and use the autopilot for an hour, but I like taking off and landing in another part of the country. Oh and the graphics sure look good as well.

a 2006 thread lol but yup glad it was dug up :)

Yeah thats really sad that FSX might be the last FS... anyways if it is, its a very good title to be the last. I really hope other companies will start and continue to create flight sims, i mean the technology is there to make a kick as5 title and even the die hard fans, i don't really know what's stopping game developers.

i'm glad its back as im having problems and was wondering what to do about them.

i have the rig in my sig and when im taxiing or taking off my fps are 3-6fps which sucks, but when i'm in the air i'm hitting 60fps constant which is what its set to aim for.

the problem is that i get the same results if i have it set to ultra settings or v.low settings and its driving me mad. i'm not playing it anymore and i really want to. :(

has anyone got any pointers to what to set to what?

MSX is not dead, hack FS 2004 some people still play.

the game runs great actually on i7 alot of reports have said.

The game is VERY cpu dependant and has had bad multi-cpu/core support from the start, the service packs they have had were supposed to fix that, but it hasnt at all

my uncle went from a e4300 @ 2.9Ghz and an 8800GTS 320mb to a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz and the same vid card and his FPS went up a good amount, but were still limited in alot of parts.

i'm glad its back as im having problems and was wondering what to do about them.

i have the rig in my sig and when im taxiing or taking off my fps are 3-6fps which sucks, but when i'm in the air i'm hitting 60fps constant which is what its set to aim for.

the problem is that i get the same results if i have it set to ultra settings or v.low settings and its driving me mad. i'm not playing it anymore and i really want to. :(

has anyone got any pointers to what to set to what?

is your FSX still unpatched? Patch it to the latest version or even better get the acceleration pack. The latest version provide support for multi cpus so your fps should noticeably increase (i noticed anyway). I max everything and my fps is still the same as when i have it in medium, my gpu is only utilized like 50% max. So yeah definitely cpu dependent.

Glad this thread is still somewhat alive lol. I have been getting into this game lately. One thing I noticed was a HUGE drop in framerates from simply going from 1280x1024 to 1600x1050 resolution. With my 9800GT I was getting 30+ fps with everything cranked to 70% + in the advanced settings, then I went to the higher res with my gtx260, no changes in CPU config or graphics config, and my fps is down to 10-20 no matter what scene I am in. I will have to significantly turn down some settings to get things back "playable". I have installed SP1, is there a better or more recent patch that will help performance?

Glad this thread is still somewhat alive lol. I have been getting into this game lately. One thing I noticed was a HUGE drop in framerates from simply going from 1280x1024 to 1600x1050 resolution. With my 9800GT I was getting 30+ fps with everything cranked to 70% + in the advanced settings, then I went to the higher res with my gtx260, no changes in CPU config or graphics config, and my fps is down to 10-20 no matter what scene I am in. I will have to significantly turn down some settings to get things back "playable". I have installed SP1, is there a better or more recent patch that will help performance?

Service pack 2. They won't automatically update you to it. You have to search microsoft.com and find it.

FSX for me is alot of fun i agree u need a alot of power to be able to get decent FPS at a good RES, as soon as i went to SP2 on Vista i noticed a huge change to the graphics.

tried this game today and i must say, Microsoft can do alot better, with all video,planes,textures,landscape settings maxed out it still didnt look all that great. also kept getting flickers on the screen, video card not overclocked at the moment. Also everytime i tried to fly the plane that lands on water when i would load up a map the plane would be on the runway! Whaaaa.... it dont have wheels it cant take off from the runway, and after searching for the correct location to take off from i uninstalled the game. wasnt worth my Hard drive space, i can use the space for PRon, atleast ill get something out of PRon!LOL J/K!

FLOAT PLANES HAVE WHEELS. THEY'RE IN THE FLOATS. How are you gonna tell it to start on water without specifying a location? :screwy:

Last edited:
No it isn't... I just bought it! :)

And MS said that they will continue to support and create Flight Simulator titles (since it's their longest-running series next to Word... I think there was a version on Windows 3.1)

Anyway... glad you brought back this thread. I was looking for it. I just started out and I have all kinds of questions.

There were versions in DOS dude. How old are you?

Back