• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to run OS X on an XP machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

Does anyone know how to run OS X on a Windows XP machine. I did a google search and found a few sites telling me to use a emulation program called PearPC but these articles were written in 05. Are there any more up to date methods of doing this.

Thanks

Very funny.

Doing so requires you to engineer around the fact that OS X requires a Trusted Platform Module (which you don't have), and (right or wrong), circumvention of such a protection is illegal under the DMCA.

An interesting project would be an implementation of Apple's API for 32- and 64-bit x86 Linux, which, while it would take longer, would be much appreciated.

I dont know much about this but I was under the impression that OSX wouldnt run on a windows machine because they used different CPU architecture. However now that Apple are now using Intel CPU's doesn't this make the task easier.

Although I could be wrong

i never stated it was legal...i just said its been done, i have run it on one of my machines before, and it was nice, but it felt so .... wrong... no, dirty is the word im lookin for

MODS is it ok to point people in the right direction, just in order to educate themselves?

smokie mcpott said:
i never stated it was legal...i just said its been done, i have run it on one of my machines before, and it was nice, but it felt so .... wrong... no, dirty is the word im lookin for

MODS is it ok to point people in the right direction, just in order to educate themselves?
While you'll get an official response fairly soon, the answer will almost certainly be no.

Don't ask questions about stuff that is illegal in the forums. Just hit your favorite search engine. There is tons of info out there on this subject and others like it.

I was under the impression that apple was going to be making there next version usable on windows machines. Is that not so?

Note: legally usable

Asr940 said:
I was under the impression that apple was going to be making there next version usable on windows machines. Is that not so?

THAT would be sweet, i would totally jump on the OSXwagon then

Captain Newbie said:
You do realize that 25% of the reason why OS X is so stable is that Apple maintains control of the platform, right?
I agree with that completely...well about it being the reason...not so much about the blanket statement that it is stable. Apples freeze and crash as much as Windows in my experience. But try to go to download.com et al and grab a free tool that will asist a novice to fix the issue.

Asr940 said:

I don't think so at this point. Although I think it would benefit end users to have two x86 OSes to choose from, that were fairly compatible. Apple would see a huge boost in sales I'd think, and MS would be scrambling to make something with quality to keep it's customers.

snafumaster said:
I agree with that completely...well about it being the reason...not so much about the blanket statement that it is stable. Apples freeze and crash as much as Windows in my experience. But try to go to download.com et al and grab a free tool that will asist a novice to fix the issue.
The other 50% has to do with the fact that Apple is a smaller ship and so can turn tighter...and the remaining 25% has to do with the fact that OS X is based upon a *nix, which actually enforces proper permissions, separation of processes, etc.

Apple is a HARDWARE company. They make their profits from HARDWARE.

You will never see an OSX running on generic (Dell)PCs. If they made that possible, two things would happen: their hardware sales go to almost zero, bankrupting them. And if that's not enough, MS would crush them utterly just to make sure there is no competitor to Windows/Office

crofty83 said:
I dont know much about this but I was under the impression that OSX wouldnt run on a windows machine because they used different CPU architecture. However now that Apple are now using Intel CPU's doesn't this make the task easier.

Although I could be wrong

They do now use x86 and it is done all the time. It isn't impossible, its quite simple really, but its a matter of legallity and cannot be discussed here

Cheator said:
They do now use x86 and it is done all the time. It isn't impossible, its quite simple really, but its a matter of legallity and cannot be discussed here
Seconded. I have a pdf with lots of info and have seen many screen-caps that show it. I'd rather not discuss that more here. You can IM me if you are interested in more facts on that.

Back