• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checklist when replacing CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctrl_alt_del_

OH OH!!!

OK, replaced the CPU - aplied AS5, put waterblock back, reset CMOS, plugged cables back in and... nothing! Well nothing comes up on my monitor - tried DVI and VGA cables, nothing shows up. The PC seems to come up fine, no beeps, no error codes - checks for the CDROM, HD light comes up but no signal to the monitor... any ideas? Monitor is a DELL 2407 if that makes any difference.

As always, any help is appreciated!!!

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello there!
I just got a x2 3800 from the egg today - it will replace my Venice 3000+.

What I was wondering is, what steps do I need to take to ensure that the swap goes smooth? I know I should clear the CMOS before putting the new CPU in but is there anything else I should be doing?

Here are the parts:

Abir AN8 SLI - updated to the latest bios today.
eVGA 6600GT
WD 250gb 16mb and 80gb 8mb
OCZ 520w PSU
2gb Geil PC3200 (4x512)

CPU is watercooled.

Thanks for any info!!!

Last edited:
No not really. Make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed on there I guess, but it sounds like you've got in under control. I made exactly the same upgrade choices...good stuff, enjoy.

You may need to do something to your Windows for it to recognize the second core... I think all you have to do is insert the cd when it asks.

EvilT said:
you dont have to do this, ive noticed no difference with or without this patch

I don't have a dual core, but I know it fixes a problem with running Far Cry too fast. There may be other minor fixes, I don't know.

I am guessing as long as it will not screw up anything, I might give it a try...

thanks for all the replies, can't wait to get home and start playing!

The AMD Dual Core Optimizer lets windows balance processes between cores more efficiently. Use it, otherwise youll constantly have one core at 80% with the other at 10%, etc.

Is it possible for a CPU to come completelly DOA from the factory? I cannot seem to get anything going with this new CPU... maybe it's my crappy Abit board...

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
The AMD Dual Core Optimizer lets windows balance processes between cores more efficiently. Use it, otherwise youll constantly have one core at 80% with the other at 10%, etc.

I never installed it upon reformat and both cores folding at 50% each, give or take the odd percentage for other processes.

Not sure what caused the issue in the first place but I got everything out of the case, followed the sticky instructions and it all seems to be working now - x2 3800 @ 2300mhz with stock cooler... I guess it is time to update the signature!!

Thanks for the replies!!

Last edited:
Back