• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dark video on new XP Pro install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

I recently juggled operating systems between my laptop and desktop to take more advantage of HT on my desktop.

Clean install of XP on 2.4c on AI7 w/ 1gb ram and an agp 6800nu with extra pipelines and shaders unlocked via rivatuner.

The machine works just fine, but for the life of me I can't figure out why video playback (avi, mpeg, etc) is so dark. I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled several different versions of kazaa lite codec pack trying to narrow this down, but no luck - no matter what I do, video is dark.

I used the nvidia color correction settings to come as close as I can to 'fixing' it, but i've done a lot of OS installs and this is the first time this has ever happened. Professionally, one of my QC steps is "test the codec system by playing videos before delivering the machine" and I've never run into this before. =/

Any ideas?

Btw, I despise nvidia's "new" control applet thing, that I got with the latest driver download. That interface can just diaf. Everything you're used to having in the old control applet, only now 10 times harder to find! Great.

Kinda reminds me of windows xp, actually.

i have the same problem... i think or thought it was midea player 11 but i think it was the drivers i was useing...

The k lite codec pack i mentioned is a collection of widely-used codecs that also comes with media player classic, a video/mp3/etc player that looks like wmp 6 series. Simple, powerful, solid.

I've literally built hundreds of custom machines for people, and used this codec pack and player... Now when I put XP Pro on my own machine, bleh.

I think it has something to do with nvidia's dual-view etc crap. I have the svideo out hooked up to a tuner box, but this has never caused problems before. I'm stumped.

Did you ever get this fixed, because I just got the same problem on a fresh XP Pro install....I don't know why it's doing this or how to correct it, but it's kinda important because I watch a lot of videos on my computer.

If your using a Nvidia card, the 91.47 drivers are what cause the darkness. Codec was incorrect, luckly the 93.71s work fine :D

I have this issue with the 91.45 drivers.

Simply go into the Classic Nvidia Panel, go to Video Overlay settings, and turn the GAMMA up, and check the brightness/contrast as well, but gamma seems to be the main issue. :bday:

It's easier to update to the 93.whatever drivers einstein mentioned. I did it today, and poof! no more dark video.

Spoudazo said:
I have this issue with the 91.45 drivers.

Simply go into the Classic Nvidia Panel, go to Video Overlay settings, and turn the GAMMA up, and check the brightness/contrast as well, but gamma seems to be the main issue. :bday:

That was my issue. My Gamma was at like -8.. Put it back up to 8 and it looks just fine :beer:

Yeah, sometimes we fall in love with certain drivers, therefore we deal with their shortcomings :p

Back