• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you stand on the permission ethical dillemma?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Where would you stand on asking for permission in the hypothetical situation?

• 10 - strongly for asking permission first

Votes: 33 60.0%

Votes: 3 5.5%

Votes: 4 7.3%

Votes: 2 3.6%

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 5 - neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1- I would whip out the flashdrive and friggin go for it!

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
If you don't have permission and the machines are not yours then it is illegal for you to install FAH on those machines, also the company can prosecute and you would stand the chance of serving real time in prison.:bang head

Dude seriously if you don't have permission it's not worth it, go find friendlier computer owners.

well I asked my boss today and he said no problem . He was actually surprised that such a thing existed . I showed him Stanford's page and he was reading for quite a while . I also said semi jokingly that if I couldnt run it I would charge him for tech support , and this was by far the cheaper of teh 2 options .

silent bob said:
well I asked my boss today and he said no problem . He was actually surprised that such a thing existed . I showed him Stanford's page and he was reading for quite a while . I also said semi jokingly that if I couldnt run it I would charge him for tech support , and this was by far the cheaper of teh 2 options .

So how many giggahertz is that? :drool: :beer:

To me, it depends on who/what/where/circumstances. If its going to affect someone or something in a big way, ask. If not, then i say go ahead and borg it. Whenever im logged onto my computer at my school, i run the graphical client. Sure, itll only fold for a few hours a week, but its better than nothing. Iv also been given the task of finding security flaws in the network, in which i will prove there are flaws in the network by using FAH :) Imagine, a 500 PC farm? 500 2.8ghz P4's, 1300ghz. :drool: So, in my case, iv been given permission to install it. :) Now i just gotta work at it. LOL

On a side note, i could have done this last year. I found that the admin password on all the computers was "super", coulda borged every one of our PC's at school LOL only thing stopping me now is i need admin access to create a service.

P.S. They found this out when i accidentally ran "net stop server" from command prompt and no one could logon :p

Last edited:
hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
So how many giggahertz is that? :drool: :beer:
the computers at work would consist of 5 1.8 Dells , and one 3.06 HT .
3.06 HT is 24/7 both as services
1 9/7 service - dell
1 24/7 console - dell
2 24/7 service - dell
1 20/7 console - dell

so the dells are @9ghz

this goes with my HP 1.5 - service
my 754 @ 2.8 - console
my 2.4 @ 3ghz - service
and soon my 939 @ 2.8ghz - console
if my Jeep ever sells I will be getting an E6600 setup

Why does the last post keep getting reposted????
Time travelling post :eek:

Inserts curiosity timestamp: 23:05 BST

I really want to borg my whole school, with about 3 or 4 computer labs of 20 computers each, and that's only at the upper campus.

They're all 3.0C P4s with HT, which would pack quite a punch if I talked to the school's IT people. I'm already pretty tight with them right now as I'm doing community service, but I wonder if they'd get a folding team going (they've tried SETI before but it's way out of date, so it doesn't really work).

I voted a 7. All 7 computers at work were borged with permission. But any computer I build for friends or family gets f@h installed right of the bat. I even have most of them folding under their own user name.

Back