• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever feel like your Intel can handle anything thrown at it with ease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This wonderful thread deserves a bump. ;)

Lets get all these new Q6600's and E6850's folding for T32! Use it as a stability test for your OC's, and help save lives at the same time!

I normally don't wanna do this, but I just thought I'd say I'm in the medical field... and the "folding", the extra processes that go... i dunno. Even if we know how a protein folds... say, amyloid for Alzheimer's, that doesn't give me anything effective on how i can treat it. I think it's very altruistic, and I applaud everyone who is participating, however I question the people on top who's utilizing these "folding" processes, as these computational processes are just facilitating people's names being published in medical journals without really taking into account the hours, electricity, that people like the generous people on this board are actually donating in.

I'm just saying, I am part of the medical community, I just think people should think twice of their cause... and not let medical people use fancy jargon to sway and capitalize on your generosity...

I for one, am NOT folding. Even though it is my civil duty to do no harm, to protect, to heal and to stand for all that is justice. I have this hunch that the people up top... aren't using it for what people think they're using it for.

treatmentx said:
I normally don't wanna do this, but I just thought I'd say I'm in the medical field... and the "folding", the extra processes that go... i dunno. Even if we know how a protein folds... say, amyloid for Alzheimer's, that doesn't give me anything effective on how i can treat it. I think it's very altruistic, and I applaud everyone who is participating, however I question the people on top who's utilizing these "folding" processes, as these computational processes are just facilitating people's names being published in medical journals without really taking into account the hours, electricity, that people like the generous people on this board are actually donating in.

I'm just saying, I am part of the medical community, I just think people should think twice of their cause... and not let medical people use fancy jargon to sway and capitalize on your generosity...

I for one, am NOT folding. Even though it is my civil duty to do no harm, to protect, to heal and to stand for all that is justice. I have this hunch that the people up top... aren't using it for what people think they're using it for.
Yes, well, we have NO way to prove this. We can only trust them in using the data they receive as they are telling us they will.

Until anything further shows us that they aren't...I will keep folding proudly. I do hope you do the same, or atleast help us find out what they do use it for :D

treatmentx said:

I feel, personally, that Stanford is qualified to use the data in their research. While yes, I'm not going to come home to my PC and notice that I just cured cancer, every bit of data I can send to them is one potentially useful bit. And better to say 'well, we received x amount of data via the folding@home project, and we have been unable to find what we are looking for yet' than 'we don't have the resources to examine this'.

Simply having the resources and the power of the FAH project available makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

treatmentx said:

They post their results:

http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html
http://folding.stanford.edu/papers.html

Antivir lights up when trying to install using the one click install, telling me that the batch file is the trojan horse "Dldr.Fah.A". Not sure what that's about. This is with Vista Business 32-bit. Installed anyway, and I'm running a scan to see if Antivir is still mad.

That's very odd - one click is decidedly not a virus. ;)

BTW, if you're running a C2D, the best PPD will be with SMP, either WinSMP or Linux SMP.

EDIT: Visit Stanford's website for the clients. If you encounter any problems or have questions, feel free to come over to the Folding forum.

We have 5 sun's, one amd xp, 3 HT p4's a dell p3, , my c2d @ 3.5 ghz and my c2d lappy, oh and the dual p3 dell server.

all are now folding :)

Go team 32 :)

traldan said:
That's very odd - one click is decidedly not a virus. ;)

BTW, if you're running a C2D, the best PPD will be with SMP, either WinSMP or Linux SMP.

EDIT: Visit Stanford's website for the clients. If you encounter any problems or have questions, feel free to come over to the Folding forum.
Thanks. :) I'm in 90th place on team 32...I've been at this for a while. But I appreciate it.

CJ145 said:
Thats not exactly "little" :) Thanks for the help ryanmartini and all others who have joined the cause.

True, I didn't mean to imply that. More as a general statement, that EVERY participant is welcome and encouraged, no matter if they have a nice large farm, a few rigs lying around, or even just their own personal PC.

uh-huh.

rig in my sig i converted about 5 batches of 200 8 megapixel RAW files into highest quality jpegs at 1 per 2 seconds yesterday and today usin cs3 Bridge.

HOLY RIPPIN IT SPIDEY! :santa2:

Just as my quad core rig gets here, I get the power bill... $950 two months ago, $930 last month. This is without AC too... Big house with lots of electricity draw (7+ computers, 2 TV's >50", 3 other TV's, 3 fridges, 1 big freezer, etc.) we just can't afford to fold in the summer...

My folding is sadly on hold until winter, then I'll start using my folding rigs to heat my room instead of the actual heater :p

David_N said:
Just as my quad core rig gets here, I get the power bill... $950 two months ago, $930 last month. This is without AC too... Big house with lots of electricity draw (7+ computers, 2 TV's >50", 3 other TV's, 3 fridges, 1 big freezer, etc.) we just can't afford to fold in the summer...

My folding is sadly on hold until winter, then I'll start using my folding rigs to heat my room instead of the actual heater :p

I'm going to have to agree with you, my electricity bill has gone up a few hundred since I've left my ps3 on folding 24/7 I would think it would consume less power than a full desktop though.

Well I just joined. But I have bad news and good news..

bad news is, it's not an intel :( (my main rig is out for now)
good news is that it's not an amd either :D

Doing folding on a G5 dual 1.8Ghz it's IBM, lol

One Bull said:
Well I just joined. But I have bad news and good news..

bad news is, it's not an intel :( (my main rig is out for now)
good news is that it's not an amd either :D

Doing folding on a G5 dual 1.8Ghz it's IBM, lol

Wonderful, :welcome: to the team! Glad to have you in the fold.

Be sure to stop by our team forum and introduce yourself. :)

Back