• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever feel like your Intel can handle anything thrown at it with ease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Well, lets see it crunch this. That's right. The OCforums Folding Team (team32) needs your help! You can use your spare CPU cycles to aid research, and more importantly, OCFORUMS!

What is Folding?

Read this:
Folding@Home: Fold it like you stole it, save a life in the process! From the O/Community section. Here is a summary of it:

NASsoccer said:
TEAM "32" needs you

Millions of people die of Parkinson's, Alzheimers, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and and even many cancers that result from protein misfolding and there is something you can do about that: FOLD
WWW.OVERCLOCKERS.COM has their very own folding team (TEAM "32") and we need your help. Here you can fold to save lives and also fold for great competition between teams as they are probably the best way to get the news out about folding. We are currently 3rd in the world and we are only gonna climb!

What is Folding@Home

FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This is an extremely complicated process that requires awesome amounts of computing power that was virtually unattainable prior to the start of this project. This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to stanford university. Once the work is done and returned your computer will automatically get fresh data to calculate. The work is then piece back together at Stanford university. There are results and more information posted on the Folding@Home website at [url]http://folding.stanford.edu/[/url]

We are TEAM "32" and if you would like help setting up the client you only need to ask and there will be several people ready to help. For more info on the project please check out this -=page=-

Folding @ Home only uses your extra, currently wasted CPU cycles! So... why not save lives with them and help out TEAM "32"

When your CPU sits idle when you aren't doing anything, or isn't getting 100 percent used, all that extra power you acheived through hard earned money or overclocking isn't even being used! You can idle on the Windows XP desktop just as well on a Pentium 3 as you can with a Core2Extreme.

Folding @ Home (FAH), doesn't slow your system down at all. It has a very low priority on the processes list, in fact, probably the lowest. Meaning, that if your system is idling and not using up any CPU at all, Folding will use 100 percent. If you open up Firefox and it breifly needs 25 percent of the CPU, Folding will drop to 75 percent, then let firefox get the other 25 percent, or whatever it needs. Even running benchmarks with FAH running, it will give you a slightly lower score, but just mainly because FAH is taking up a little memory. It hardly slows the CPU at all.

So does, anyone want to see their fancy CPU put to good use by possibly saving some lives in the future, and helping out the OCforums team?

Also, I will be perfectly honest with you all, under load your CPU will run warmer, so keep an eye on temperatures. I don't know of any modern processor (or even any old ones) that can't handle anything more than 55-60 °C. The only thing it might affect is your overclock, FAH will show you truely if your overclock is stable or not. But it shouldn't be used solely as a stability tester because unstable results can set back the project instead of help it. Just keep a closer eye on your temps and you will be fine. But then again, if your system can handle SuperPi, 3dmark, or your favorite new game, chances are you will plug along in FAH like a champ just fine! :D

Also running at constant load means your CPU will run at the same temperature all the time. Which shouldn't make a difference, but if it does, it is even better on the CPU. Ever seen your core temps jump 10 degrees °C then fall 10 within a time period of a few seconds? Well, that is what happens when your CPU goes from 0 to 100 back to 0 load when you open a new application. As for security, FAH is secure! Also, it just runs as a background service, you don't have to do anything at all. Most people also think that this is going to be downloading huge files, the CPU zips through it in 10 seconds and it re-uploads. NOPE! FAH will crunch for days before sending in and getting a new work unit. Heck, I fold on my dialup computers no problem at all. :cool:

OCForums, or Team32 is and has been number 3 in the WORLD for sevral years now. We have come close to the top 2 in the past, but currently, the top 2 are wiping us out, each almost producing double our production. And another team, Maximum PC is starting to gain on us. Let's show them what OUR CPU's really can do! :D :burn:

flyer1.jpg

Here is the ultimate installer guide: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247

But here are the ones that most of you will probably use:

Single CPU Single Core

Dual CPU OR Dual core OR Hyper Threading

Quad CPU OR 2 Dual core CPU's, or 1 dual core CPU with Hyper Threading

Just edit the client.cfg file if you want the stats to register under your name, or if not, just click on the install and you are set!

you sir, now have my sig folding for you. :D

is there any way to "see" what it is doing?

thanks guys.

so i have downloaded emIII and have it running. i followed the instructions found here to a tee. i do not see anything in the window though. its like no work has started, but my cpu is running at 100%.

when you say browse to the folder where F@H is, i've done that, i'm pointing to the F@H folder, and then to the OC-FAH502-Dual-ADV.exe file. am i doing something wrong here?

*edit* oh wait, i got it now, i didn't realize when i started that file, it created its own new directory, "FAH".

k awesome, now everything is tracking properly.

one more question, how do i go about seeing the team info, and changing my info, like my name and such?

well you were suppose to do that before you executed the installer, but we can do that now. Go to Run and type services.msc

stop any services named FAH. If you are doing the dual instance then there should be FAH1 and FAH2

Then go to the FAH folder, located in program folders. If you have two instances, you should have FAH1 folder and FAH2, if one there is just one FAH folder. Then right click on the file named client and open it in notepad.

You'll see a line that says username= and team=

enter your desired username after the equal sign and make the team line say 32, it should already though

IE mine says username=dicecca112

then you can track your stats here http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=178354

just put your chosen user name and the search box on the left after you've turned in a WU. It will create your tracking info.

Damn Amd I'm doing all the work for you

dicecca112 said:
well you were suppose to do that before you executed the installer, but we can do that now. Go to Run and type services.msc

stop any services named FAH. If you are doing the dual instance then there should be FAH1 and FAH2

Then go to the FAH folder, located in program folders. If you have two instances, you should have FAH1 folder and FAH2, if one there is just one FAH folder. Then right click on the file named client and open it in notepad.

You'll see a line that says username= and team=

enter your desired username after the equal sign and make the team line say 32, it should already though

IE mine says username=dicecca112

then you can track your stats here http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=178354

just put your chosen user name and the search box on the left after you've turned in a WU. It will create your tracking info.

Damn Amd I'm doing all the work for you

hey thanks dicecca112, much appreciated. ;)

Hey, i have F@H installed and its running, but i was wondering, how would i delete it off of my computer if i wanted to remove it? i dont see anything in the add-remove programs list >_>

*edit* nvm.. i gues i could just delete the FAH folder I_I

Nothing at all? It should be "FAH" or "Folding@home" in the list (I have the console client and it's listed as Folding@home).

"There's something very important I forgot to tell you. Don't delete the folder." It could cause problems should you decide to reinstall later.

*races out of Intel section*

Back