• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32 Problem?? NO CONNECTION DETECTED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlntAgent

ok..built another system...i have:

500watt psu
a8n32 with 2 gigs
7800gtx

When i boot i get this message on my monitor

"No connection Detected"

anyone know if its a mobo\vid card\Monitor prob?

First- Did you connect the extra powercord to your vid card?

Second- Is your DVI/analog cable between PC and Monitor in good shape?

Thirth- Check for a setting in the Bios saying something about PCI-E1 to PCI to PCI-E2 and adjust it as desired.

Excalibur1982 said:
First- Did you connect the extra powercord to your vid card?

Second- Is your DVI/analog cable between PC and Monitor in good shape?

Thirth- Check for a setting in the Bios saying something about PCI-E1 to PCI to PCI-E2 and adjust it as desired.

1) yes

2)Brand New DVI connector that came with a brand new 7800gtx

3) cant see the bios since my monitor gets no signal

Damm.... Are all the fans running and is your HD('s) spinning up?
What kind of memory (exect brand and specs) are you running?
Did you try a CMOS reset?

Excalibur1982 said:
Damm.... Are all the fans running and is your HD('s) spinning up?
What kind of memory (exect brand and specs) are you running?
Did you try a CMOS reset?

HD/Vid card fans/ Case Fans all spin up. Corsair Memory which i tested in my gaming system...all hardware works in my computer....Did a CMOS reset...still nothing..called asus..they think its a bad CMOS chip...would that cause the prob?

Thats possible, but I don't see how one can mess up a BIOS chip.... Wrong flash maybe?
Did you buy that mainboard new or second hand?
By the way, this is an other system as in your sig, right?
I saw an article somewhere about flashing an faulty BIOS chip..... when I find it i'll let you know...

Well, RMA it when you tried everything or use this procedure with your own board:

Hotflashing
Hotflashing means programming our BIOS in a different computer than it belongs (we'll call this other computer and BIOS the host). This includes removing the current BIOS of the host computer -- after booting -- and putting on the problematic one and flashing it.

To clear some doubts, I must express that this technique is very simple and has only a very small risk of damage. The worst thing you can do is to install the BIOS the wrong way (left to right or right to left), causing the legs of the EPROM to receive the wrong voltages. This CAN burn the BIOS and motherboard and leave them useless. Let me tell you that I accidentally made this biggest mistake, and after seeing that the computer froze and nothing was responding, I quickly shut down the machine some 30 seconds or so later. The BIOS was very hot and there was even a nasty burning smell. When I booted with the good BIOS a few minutes later, I saw that the computer was functioning properly and the BIOS that should have been burned was writable.

If you pay attention to two things I'll explain, nothing will be lost.

You have a BIOS A that belongs to motherboard A, which malfunctions one way or another and will not boot the computer. You also have a computer B with BIOS B, which works correctly and will be your host computer for writing the BIOS.

Remember that the host motherboard should resemble the destination motherboard. It is more likely to rewrite a 440BX board BIOS in another 440BX board. Of course, you don't have to use exactly the same motherboard model from the same vendor. A similar model is fine.

There is a limitation with the BIOS chip compatibility, however. Some BIOS chips are 128K and some are 256K. You can write a 128K BIOS with a 256K BIOS host, but not vice versa. Think back to taking the backup of your BIOS; if it is bigger than your update BIOS file, the operation will likely fail.

There are two important tips that will make your day:

You'll have to remove the host's BIOS chip while the computer is running. This is not easy without a special tool for this operation. You may have to use force. Fortunately, a better way exists. Just turn off the computer and then try to remove the chip.

Be careful not to remove one side first, as this may damage the legs. Unless the legs come off completely, even this won't be a fatal problem. You can straighten the legs after you take it off, but better not to need to do this at all.

After removing the chip, straighten the legs if need be and replace it. This time, let it stay connected -- apply no force to drive it home as it was before. This should be enough for booting the computer. After that, it'll be easy to remove the chip again.

Pay close attention to the direction of the BIOS chip. There will be a little engraved half circle at one end and a similar counterpart on the motherboard. Be sure that these are facing in the same direction. Do not take your direction from the label on the BIOS. Labels may be wrong, but these circles won't be.
Placing the chip in the wrong direction can be a huge mistake, but if you can shut the computer off within 15-20 seconds, most probably nothing will burn.

Now that you understand these vital points, we can start the operation.

First be sure that the computer is off. Remove the cable to be sure. Then take off your host BIOS (as explained in the first tip) and replace it. Don't push; just be sure that all legs are connected.

After that, replace the power cable and boot the computer from the diskette. It may be better if you disconnect the hard drive and CD-ROMs firsthand.

Now you should have your computer on, your host BIOS in, and the UniFlash program executing. Make a backup of your host BIOS in case anything goes wrong. After that, slowly remove the host BIOS and replace it with the destination BIOS. Again, do not push hard. Just let it connect. Be gentle.

Now write your backup BIOS with the third option (Figure 4) or, if you believe that the problem was not caused by the BIOS image, the updated version. After seeing the success bar all green, shut down the computer, replace the host BIOS, and reboot the computer to see that the host computer is fine. Do not try the new BIOS on the host machine. It will most likely not boot.

This operation is not only easy but also more tolerable than most other computer peripheral operations. As for my example, when I tried to hotflash the Gigabyte GA-6BXE BIOS on my ABIT BM-6 motherboard, the operation was unsuccessful because the chip was damaged in the former update on its own board. I took off a Tomato LX board's BIOS (which looked the same) and tried hotflashing it. On my first try, because I was excited, I misplaced the BIOS and the computer hanged. I reseated the chip correctly, rebooted the machine, wrote the BIOS, and then put the Tomato LX BIOS (which now had the Gigabyte GA-6BXE BIOS update) into the Gigabyte machine and everything went fine.

I assume you've checked your monitor on another computer?

Have you checked the floppy and IDE cables for orientation? A backward floppy cable will cause that for sure ...

Last edited:
you might want to reseat the motherboard in the motherboard tray. I had this prob recently. Took all the parts out one at a time to check and they all worked. Got frustrated and took it to somebody and thats what they did. YOu could power on but no monitor activity. fans would spin hard drives would click but nothing. Maybe try that. Save yourself the 40 buks they charged me.

monitor works on another computer..All cables plugged in correctly..and i reseated the mobo 3 times..still same error

ya..sent out today...before i sent it...i took off the heatpipe...the southbridge chip had a burn mark the size of the chip..so that was the prob..the board was Dead right out of the box...asus is gonna take care of it..love their customer support

Back