• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Talks 45nm Production

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4334
DailyTech said:
Intel CEO Paul Otellini was not shy to talk about the upcoming 45nm process nodes the company has planned for the second half of 2007. At the center of this new process evolution is the Fab D1D in Hillsboro, Oregon. Intel's D1D Fab in Oregon is already producing test wafers, and will be the first CPU facility at Intel to ship 45nm silicon. The D1D facility is a lean 220,000 square feet and Intel's first 45nm Fab.
:attn:

That's interesting. Im guessing 45 nm is the smallest size we'll see for a while, as any smaller and the techniques of current lithography (making chips) are going to have trouble. It will be interesting to see when we'll see something smaller.

Molester said:

I've read all those articles. Intel is so far ahead of AMD right now it HURTS. AMD is scrambling for something to sell. Sucks because I used AMD chips the past ten years or so. Going all the way back to one of my first 1ghz chips. But now they're next "big step" is to release 65nm versions of the chips they already have. THEN they'll have new 65nm dual cores around the same time Intel comes out with 45nm chips. It's f***n' crazy.

You have to give it to Intel R&D though... they certainly weren't resting on their laurels. I'd say if they can work out their corporate problems they've got the market in the bag until 2010.

well, i'll say this, it's good to see Inetel doing good again, 'resting on their laurels' was what they did from Athlon to AM2 Athlon64....

AMD will still gain on the server-side though, and K8L looks promising.

As for 45nm being the smallest for a while, I've read about 32 and 22nm processes being worked on....

Molester said:
well, i'll say this, it's good to see Inetel doing good again, 'resting on their laurels' was what they did from Athlon to AM2 Athlon64....

Well YEAH. That explains the past ten years for me. But I agree, conversely I see AMD hanging onto the server market until at least 2010 as well, then it'll be time to swing your partner again. But with Intel inventing NEW FORMS OF LASER... and an out from left field success with the Core 2 Duo, I think they're only going to continue to stretch the desktop lead they're about to gain, and it will be a long time before they lose it again. People don't switch from one company to another after ten years for no reason.

It's the opposite in the corporate world. Once the IT departments finally get something going that WORKS they'll put a deathgrip on it. They were still using Windows 95 at the U.S. Postal Service almost well into the Windows XP era. Now that most corporations have switched to AMD server processors, you're looking at another ten years before they switch back. And that includes corporations buying brand new servers today. They aren't going to be so quick to buy into the latest and greatest thing. It'll be another ten years before they even realize that Sony has made a come back, then they'll switch over and by then AMD will be back on the rise :)

rainless said:
It'll be another ten years before they even realize that Sony has made a come back, then they'll switch over and by then AMD will be back on the rise :)

sony has made a comeback? news to me. :beer:

and what do they have to do with Intel and AMD?

2010 is a long ways away, I wouldn't go making any kind of predictions past 18 months. I have to say I like Intel's approach to alternating architecture updates and manufacturing updates. Why this wasn't done sooner is beyond me.

rainless said:
It'll be another ten years before they even realize that Sony has made a come back, then they'll switch over and by then AMD will be back on the rise :)

Somebody has PS3 on the brain. ;)

I wonder if it will get to a point where Intel is so far ahead they cut back research for a while, then we'll have a stale market again for while, with very small advances at each release. :shrug:

damarble said:
I wonder if it will get to a point where Intel is so far ahead they cut back research for a while, then we'll have a stale market again for while, with very small advances at each release.

---------------------------

Pentium 4 era?

In all seriousness though, the core 2 duo era has just started and to talk like AMD is finished and doesnt have something up thier sleeves is foolish. They finally stepped out from intels shadow with the release of the athlon 64, i highly doubt they'll fall back into intels shadow.... not without a decent fight.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
sony has made a comeback? news to me. :beer:

and what do they have to do with Intel and AMD?

I need not remind you about latenight rainless :)

MadMan007 said:
2010 is a long ways away, I wouldn't go making any kind of predictions past 18 months. I have to say I like Intel's approach to alternating architecture updates and manufacturing updates. Why this wasn't done sooner is beyond me.

Well you see that's because you're not as wreckless and dangerous as I am. This will make you a liability when china takes over in 2008, expects EVERYBODY to be wreckless and dangerous, and persecutes you for not conforming.

When these come out Mid-October. What price , if any, doy ou think the Core 2 Duo's will drop to?

vanessab said:
When these come out Mid-October. What price , if any, doy ou think the Core 2 Duo's will drop to?

I can already get an E6300 for 162 euros here in France. So I would imagine they'll eventually settle at 150 bucks. An E6600 is going for 277 right now so I can imagine it going down to 260. And an E6400 will probably be 210.

Since performance and temps are pretty much under control with C2D and current die size, I suspect there are 45nm mega-multi core chips in our future. A Core2 Quatro at 45nm would probably run as cool as current C2D. The 45nm technology also leaves room on the chip for advanced features... maybe even a way for all software to benefit greatly from multi cores.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Imagine how well 45nm will clock :D. I remember the jump from 90nm to 65nm CedarMills, :drool:. I'm ready.

130nm Northwood -> 90nm Prescott jump anyone?

Who says a die shrink always works...? The good news is that Intel are doing this well in advance so should have plenty time to iron out lumps before releasing the product.

I hope.

David said:
130nm Northwood -> 90nm Prescott jump anyone?

Who says a die shrink always works...? The good news is that Intel are doing this well in advance so should have plenty time to iron out lumps before releasing the product.

I hope.

This isn't just a die shrink. They're combining the 45nm production with a brand new laser technology. We're talking about a completely different species of chip. This isn't a 130nm chip in a 90nm body.

...that's what AMD is up to :)

baa.. lazer is going to be for networking first.

The 45nm will likely be on die mem controller and CSI, with what they learned from C2D.

Should be intresting.

Back