• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x1900xt showing checkerboard in games, distorted colors on desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

ingame_greensquares.jpg

This is an example of the image. MY friend is having this issue and has yet to solve it.

specs:
Sapphire Radeon x1900xt
Asus A8R-MVP motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.2GHz cpu
Antec 500Watt SmartPower 2.0 psu
2G ram
250gig harddrive

Somebody suggested a new PSU (even though that one is fine, I used the same build before upgrading and even did crossfired x1900's with it to some extent). So, she tried this PSU: thermaltake toughpower 700W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V. Same issue of course, I do not think it is a power issue whatsoever.

Anyway, the problem happens when drivers are on the computer. Windows Media Center edition, Catalyst 6.9. Used driver cleaner, installed everything needed and clean, but the problem still happens. When she disabled hardware acceleration, the discoloration goes away and it looks normal. When she disables the card in device manager, the problem goes away there also. DirectX was recently updated (today) with the latest versions of everything. The problem is still there.

She put the card in her husbands computer and it worked fine.

PSU if it's fine in another rig most likely. Rather than Driver Cleaner use ATI's Uninstall Utility located here.

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\UninstallAll

So it really is a PSU issue? What PSU would you recommend she uses then if the 500w Antec isnt good enough and neither is the quad rail $165 PSU? It's confusing for somebody to have a problem like this with such weird symptoms.

She used her husbands x1800 all in wonder, and it worked fine without problems, it only happens when using the x1900xt (which works fine in his computer, but not hers).

Edit: When he put the x1900xt in his computer, he was unable to install the drivers for it. He was getting an ATICM.dll type error when he tried, all he knows is that it looked normal without the drivers installed. But, when the drivers are not installed on her computer, it works fine. Does this help? (it works fine on her computer with no drivers installed too)

She can also play CS with great FPS and it doesn't lag or anything, it's just discolored. Does not reboot.

hmm well id do what posrx7 said and try backing down the clocks, if anything it sounds like the card is damaged or isn't seated correctly

She decided to send the card in with the RMA today back to newegg for a replacement. I will let you know what happens when she gets the new one back.

From the looks of that image, sounds like a RAM chip went bad.I know the card is RMA'd already, but was it like that out of the box? Did it ever work fine? I assume it was recently purchased.

Ordinarily, I would assume that static must have zapped one of the RAM chips, but since the RAM is covered by heatsinks, that would reduce that possibility (but not eliminate) the chance of that happening. Only reason I'm mentioning that is, if it WAS zapped by static, then the exact same thing can happen to the new card if proper precautions are not taken. (meaning: no running around on carpet with an exposed card--if you MUST work on carpet, ground yourself and remain as stationary as possible).

Hopefully it was simply DOA and the new one will be fine.

I get an image like that when my memory clocks are too high. If you aren't overclocking the card then it seems you have a memory problem like Falkentyne said. You might need to RMA.

Back