• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4c vs unknown socket 754 amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

I'm currently running a 2.4c on an abit ai7 (i865) and I have an asus p4c800e coming via the classies (i875). Current clock is 12x251 1:1 with the memory (12x200 stock) @ ~3 ghz, but I could run it at 12x280 with the memory 5:4 - the memory is my limiter right now, 3-4-4-8 rated corsair ddr466.

It turns out I have an asus K8V-X SE socket 754 motherboard (asus link) that takes AGP and DDR, which happens to be what I have in my rig. (unlocked 6800nu and the aforementioned corsair ddr466).

How much of an improvement would something like a sempron be? Which cores are most overclockable? I see palermo core semprons starting at $40 at newegg, but I know very little about the 64 bit amd processors.

Basically i'm thinking for my purposes, there's a break even point in comparing an unknown socket 754 processor with my current setup (3ghz p4, 1k fsb)... I just have no idea what it is. Anyone have a quick answer?

my quick answer is, i don't know which would end up better.

but if the cpu is only $40, why not buy it just to try? i would pay $40 to have a 754 to play with.

My guess is the $40 sempron wouldn't even come close to the overall level of performance offered by an HT-enabled p4c running at 3ghz+, because of the small l2 cache on the sempron.

That said, I was able to trade some ram for a 3200+ sempron in the classies, so I have one coming.

I think eventually i'll probably try to trade my way into a real athlon 64 for the board, I'm leery of the sempron line b/c of the cache.

The cache on the sempron makes for a negligible performance decrease.

At 3Ghz, your p4 is not exactly something that would be hard for a sempron to beat. At its stock 2 Ghz for the 3200+, it should be about even.

Of course if you can get your p4 to 12x280 it would be a different story, because I don't think you are going to get much overclock out of the K8V-X SE. If I remember correctly, the early VIA boards had no pci lock.

Last edited:
Quailane said:
The cache on the sempron makes for a negligible performance decrease.

At 3Ghz, your p4 is not exactly something that would be hard for a sempron to beat. At its stock 2 Ghz for the 3200+, it should be about even.

Of course if you can get your p4 to 12x280 it would be a different story, because I don't think you are going to get much overclock out of the K8V-X SE. If I remember correctly, the early VIA boards had no pci lock.

No, it's got one. I tested the chip out today (franken-caseless while watching tv episodes) and found that I could reliably overclock the sempron by 25% or so. I... THINK. The clockgen architecture of a64 (and sempron) cpus is vastly different than what I'm used to, so I'm not real sure what's going on.

I can't attest that it was stable but I was able to install ubuntu on an old harddrive I had lying around, and it passed memtest runs (with the memory using a divider, it's 256mb of pc2700 hehe).

So anyway, at this point my gut is telling me that with dual channel an overclocked sempron running 250 fsb 1:1 with the ram would beat a p4 clocked at 3.0ghz, 250 fsb 1:1 with the ram, but I'm not sure. =/

I think it probably doesn't matter though, either the sempron would win, or the results would be so competitive as to not matter... so unless I get feedback here telling me not to, I'll probably go with the sempron in my main rig.

One problem i'm having, however - no matter what I set the memory timings to in bios, they're always 2.5-7-7-15 in memtest. WTH? This happened at stock speeds 1:1, and overclocked running a divider.

I could change the timings in memtest to 2-3-3-6 and enable 1t and it worked fine, but upon reboot it reverted back to 2.5-slow-slow-slow. =/

Back