Building a low budget computer.

I'm putting together a computer for a family friend which will be used for nothing but web surfing email and occasionally burning audio cd's. I would like to find a decent s775 motherboard with DDR2, onboard video and sound. I'm probably going to pair it with a 531 or something and a gig of ram. He was recently involved in a motorcycle accident and has been out of work for months so his budget is limited to approximately $400.~$600. He already has a decent crt, printer, keyboard and mouse so this budget is just for the cpu, motherboard, ram, psu, case and fans etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    i7 920 Classified X58 760
    3X eVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Gentle Typhoon 1850s
    12GB 6x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    500GB 840 EVO SSD
    120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD - 1TB External HDD
    Silverstone OP1000 PSU
    3X X-Star DP2710 LED 2560x1440
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Heatware 126-0-0

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile

Intel G3258@4.2ghz | Asrock Z97M OC Formula | Galaxy GTX660 GC | PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 FDE 250GB | SilverStone ST45SF
    i3 370M | Jetway NF98 | 2x2gig DDR3-1066 | pico 120WI | Asus GT630 2GB (GK208) |
    intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Commensing Shock Therapy!"
    I'm jonnyGURU of jonnyGURU.com and we don't overload PSU's - JonnyGURU

HeatWare

It looks like this motherboard is a good buy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135023
    Has anyone had any experience with this board? The nly thing I don't like about it is the VIA chipset.

This is my second choice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131041
    3X eVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Gentle Typhoon 1850s
    500GB 840 EVO SSD
    Silverstone OP1000 PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Heatware 126-0-0

Thanks for the links man, that looks like a nice setup. How are thos sparkle psu's?
    3X eVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Gentle Typhoon 1850s
    500GB 840 EVO SSD
    Silverstone OP1000 PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Heatware 126-0-0

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by dylskee
    Thanks for the links man, that looks like a nice setup. How are thos sparkle psu's?
    that sparkle one if you notice the model name fsp550 is really a forton unit. i have one and its solid. i paid 110 for it back in jan so this is a steal IMO.

also i would stick with intel chipsets unless money was really tight, i mean if you only had like 300 or so for the build is the only way i would consider the via chipsets.

Intel G3258@4.2ghz | Asrock Z97M OC Formula | Galaxy GTX660 GC | PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 FDE 250GB | SilverStone ST45SF
    i3 370M | Jetway NF98 | 2x2gig DDR3-1066 | pico 120WI | Asus GT630 2GB (GK208) |
    intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"

HeatWare

10 Year Badge
    I know you said you wanted an Intel system, but I thought I would chime in with a system I recently configured for a friend that I feel is really nice for the price you pay. Also Evilsizer, you left out HD/DVD drives.

AMD A64 X2 3800+ AM2 65W version (low power ftw!)
    Biostar Geforce 6100 AM2 mATX board (integrated graphics much better than GMA 950)
    1GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 667
    80gb Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 Sata3.0Gb/s
    Samsung 18X DVD+-R
    Cooler Master Centurion with 430W PSU

Total price shipped (newegg doesn't really care about distance):
    $492

"Strong with the fold this boy is, fold you must"-NASSoccer
    its a shame you cant ban people for being ignorant fanboys....
    My Heatware
    [Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4][PHII 940BE][Thermalright Ultra90][2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC][Palit HD4850][Enhance 5150GH][Windows 7,Ubuntu 12.04]

Contributing Member hUMANbEATbOX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilsizer
    that sparkle one if you notice the model name fsp550 is really a forton unit. i have one and its solid. i paid 110 for it back in jan so this is a steal IMO.
    what i so don't get is why doesn't it have a power switch on the back? how much money can that possibly be shaving off the price? $1?

and FunnyP, i think he left them out on purpose, because of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by dylskee
    this budget is just for the cpu, motherboard, ram, psu, case and fans etc.
    granted, he didn't mention already having a HD/DVD, but maybe dylskee has some extra stuff kicking around.
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

10 Year Badge
    Yea I saw that too, I included them as part of the etc. since it didn't seem implied to me that he did have them .

My Heatware
    [Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4][PHII 940BE][Thermalright Ultra90][2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC][Palit HD4850][Enhance 5150GH][Windows 7,Ubuntu 12.04]

i've been sitting here trying to figure out what the etc could entail, besides some thermal grease (HD/DVD seemed too major to me to call it "etc")....

and then it came to me...what about an OS?
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by hUMANbEATbOX
    i've been sitting here trying to figure out what the etc could entail, besides some thermal grease (HD/DVD seemed too major to me to call it "etc")....

and then it came to me...what about an OS?
    os is free go LINUX! lol

intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"

HeatWare

i would do that as a last resort...linux is such a pain (please no flames from linux lovers, its IMO).

but hey, free is always nice!
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    i would do that as a last resort...linux is such a pain (please no flames from linux lovers, its IMO).

but hey, free is always nice!
    well i played with one called winux or something for basic webbing and email why not, real easy to use. im not a linux person but im thinking about linux for a folding rig i want to setup.

intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"

HeatWare

10 Year Badge
    Actually I would say Linux would be perfect for such an application. Once set up by a moderately knowledgeable person, Linux can browse the web, check email, and burn CDs/plays MP3s just as well as Windows.

And honestly the only part of this that is mildly difficult is getting the Firefox Flash/Java plugins working along with Mplayer and the Quicktime/RealMedia/WMV codecs. Email will work out of the box, MP3 players abound, and CD burning is easy with K3B or GnomeBaker.

Once initial setup is done, it will run as is without any maintenance required for years.

My Heatware

i'm sure Linux would be perfectly fine, if set up by a moderately knowledgable person, like you said. this is key.

i've played with Linux a bit, i'm sure if i wanted to, i could set up a sweet Linux box for myself, but it would probably take me a couple of weeks of tinkering to get everything working properly. that's time that is usually not available when building for someone else. with windows, at least you can install it, validate it, get the updates in there, av software, the basics, then leave it up to the customer to install what they want. with Linux, you've basically got to get everything they'll ever need/want installed from the get go, unless you want to be making housecalls all the time, whenever new software is wanted. and what happens when the client sees some software they want to try, or need, and finds out they cannot use it, or have to use an open source alternative that maybe they aren't so keen on?

its a nice idea, but you can't really "set it and forget it".
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

i'm sure Linux would be perfectly fine, if set up by a moderately knowledgable person, like you said. this is key.

i've played with Linux a bit, i'm sure if i wanted to, i could set up a sweet Linux box for myself, but it would probably take me a couple of weeks of tinkering to get everything working properly. that's time that is usually not available when building for someone else. with windows, at least you can install it, validate it, get the updates in there, av software, the basics, then leave it up to the customer to install what they want. with Linux, you've basically got to get everything they'll ever need/want installed from the get go, unless you want to be making housecalls all the time, whenever new software is wanted. and what happens when the client sees some software they want to try, or need, and finds out they cannot use it, or have to use an open source alternative that maybe they aren't so keen on?

its a nice idea, but you can't really "set it and forget it".
    I don't know. I'd be using Ubuntu now if it weren't for the gaming issue. You need to be a little more careful when picking hardware, but I think Linux would work great for people who just want to do web browsing, and office type tasks.

granted, he didn't mention already having a HD/DVD, but maybe dylskee has some extra stuff kicking around.
    I thought i did have some hdd's and a dvd burner but they are all in the scrap pile. So yeah, i'm going to need a hdd and dvd burner and as far as the OS he has a copy of XP Home. I don't want to install linux because i know nothing about it and i'm sure i'm going to be support once he has this thing and i'm going to be the one fixing it. Thanks for all the replies guys.
    3X eVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Gentle Typhoon 1850s
    500GB 840 EVO SSD
    Silverstone OP1000 PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Heatware 126-0-0

Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    May I suggest:

http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/u...2&bin_id=world

U N I T F E A T U R E S

Bus Type: PCI and ISA Bus
    Case Style: Desktop Case
    CPU Speed: 1.8GHz
    CPU Type: Pentium 4
    Drive 1 Size: 20.0 GB HD
    Free 3.5 Floppy Bays: No Free 3.5 Floppy Bays
    Free 5.25 Floppy Bays: No Free 5.25 Floppy Bays
    Hard Drive - Type: EIDE HD
    Hard Drive Quantity: One Hard Drive
    Included 3.5 Floppy Drives: 1x 3.5 Floppy Drive
    Keyboard Type: PS/2 Keyboard Port
    Media Drive 1: CD-ROM
    Memory: 1 GB
    Modem: None
    Mouse Type: PS/2 Mouse Port
    Network Adapter Type: Fast Ethernet (100Base-X) Network Adapter
    Operating System: NO OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED
    Parallel Ports: 1 Parallel Port
    Serial Ports: 2 Serial Ports
    Sound Card Included: Sound Card Included
    USB Ports Included: USB Ports Included
    Video RAM: 16 MB VRAM (Card)
    MAIN: Biostar H61MGC / i3 - 2120 Sandy / Team Elite 8GB DDR3 1333 / 300GB V-Raptor / OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 / Case: Modded CM 690 / Logitech Z-640 5.1 w/ Onboard Audio / Westy 22in Widescreen / Emprex 22" Widescreen for static viewing

HTPC/SERVER/ETC: Biostar H77MU3 / Core i3-3220T / CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 / PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W 80 PLUS Bronze
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD ( OS ) + WD 20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache ( Video, Music, Pictures ) + 500GB Hitachi ( TV recordings ) / Custom Rosewill CHALLENGER
    (2) AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner / HP Media Remote / Antennacraft Colorstar C490

Everything you need to know about Power Supplies and buying a new one ___ Heatware ___Retired Case: Modded Full Tower

How about this http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=DDCWCA1&s=dhs
    It's hard to beat a Dell for non-enthusiest applications. You get a decently built machine and a 1 year warranty.

10 Year Badge
    Another decent Dell deal:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Enter E-Value code AFFT-dim92min to find the newly released Dimension 9200Core 2 Duo Desktop Computer for $679. Choose the "No Monitor" option and Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ CPU to drop it to $529 with free shipping.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04
    Home System
    Asus Z87 Sabertooth i7 4770K 2x8GB Gskill Trident X DDR3 2400
    EVGA SLI 980 GTX Samsung 840 EVO 500GB WD Black 2TB Corsair H110 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 Corsair Carbide 500R Samsung UN55HU7250 4K Curved

Work System
    Asus P6X58D Premium i7 920 D0 3x4GB HyperX T1 Black DDR3 1600
    Diamond 7970 Crucial MX100 256GB SSD WD 1TB Black Corsair H50 Antec 850w TurePower Quattro Coolermaster HAF 912 Asus VS278Q-P

ASCII Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile
    interesting "buyers guides":

intel: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=106479
    amd: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=101396
    anandtech most recent midrange guide: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2839
    anandtech most recent budget guide: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2791

and since other people touched on it, i would say linux is definitely worth looking in to. If it wasn't for my gaming habit, i would not use windows ever (on my personal computer). I would suggest Debian (www.debian.org) or Kubuntu (www.kubuntu.org) (i like KDE as opposed to Gnome). Also worth noting are PC-BSD (www.pcbsd.org) and Desktop BSD (desktopbsd.net). I won't go in to details on any of these now, but if you want more info, i'd be glad to discuss any and all alternatives to Windows with you.
    ______________________________/\/\__________________/\/\_____
    _______/\/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\______/\/\/\/\/\__
    ____/\/\/\/\____/\/\__/\/\__/\/\________/\/\______/\/\_______
    _________/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\/\______/\/\________
    __/\/\/\/\____/\/\________/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\/\____/\/\/\_______
    _____________/\/\___________
    once you clock you can't go stock
    [RHCSA, RHCE] || articles || folding stats || overclockers last.fm group