• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any idea what this is or what could be causing it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I just discovered something very strange about my computer (first one in sig).

If I go to NewEgg's website and have a list of items from some search, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0722265&Subcategory=&description=&srchInDesc= , if I move my mouse over the picture of any item a creaking/scratching noise comes from my case. This is the only place I've found that will do it (from a quick look), and it only happens in FireFox. In IE, it doesn't do it when moving over the picture, but it does make the same noise when I'm scrolling the page. Update: I just discovered that on a site like ZipZoomFly, if I'm browsing a section like processors and go to a section that has quite a few (like Athlon 64) it will make the noise for just a second when the page loads. But, if I go back and click on it again, it won't make the noise when the page displays again. Another update: When in the text box for creating this post, f I click on the vertical scroll bar (for the text box only, not the browser's page) and move it up and down rapidly, the noise is made.

I opened up my case and listened around when I was making the noise (going over the picture again and again will make the noise almost continuous), and it would seem as though it's coming from my power supply (Forton Blue Storm). I could be wrong, but it's definitely coming from that area, so possibly the motherboard (although I have no idea how such a mechanical noise could be produced).

Anyways, what could this possibly be? This really confuses me, and if it is coming from my PSU it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with it. It's not LOUD, but it's not quiet either... I noticed it above my 6 case fans and CPU/GPU/PSU fans.

Also, if I move my mouse across the picture very quickly, the frequency of the noise is very high, whereas if I move it across very slowly, it's much lower.

:confused:

Ok I really do think something's wrong with my power supply. When I run ATI Tool, if I'm scanning for artifacts or just have the 3d view open, a buzzing noise comes from the PSU, and is more pronounced if I move the window around the screen at the same time. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the PSU, but if it's not, I would say it'd have to be from some part of the motherboard physically near the PSU.

Also, I've noticed that when I'm in BIOS for a while the system randomly freezes... I haven't had any instability while in Windows, however.

Do you have another psu to test? I cant really see why doing that in newegg would make the psu buzz, but if that's where it sounds like it''s coming from...

Are you sure its not the hard drive?

hmmm, scratching noise sounds a lot like my hard drive, when its accessed it makes a rattling/scratching sound, but seeing as you say its coming from PSU area mayb it is PSU as mr roboto said try running the rig with another PSU

Unfortunately I don't have access to another PSU, but I can tell you it's not the HD... although my new one (Seagate 320GB) is rather loud and I'm thinking about sending it back for a replacement, the noise is coming from the opposite corner of the case.

If I had to guess right now I'd say this PSU is going bad and something inside of it is messed up.

Another example of when it occurs is when I drag the scrollbar on a thread like this one up and down rather than using the scroll wheel on my mouse. When I use the scroll wheel, no noise is produced, but when I drag it, I get the buzzing/scratching noise.

Actually, when I use the scroll wheel it's just a lot quieter and shorter, it's only for a fraction of a second that the noise is produced.

It appears as if a 3D application like 3Dmark or anything like that will also constantly produce the buzzing noise. I can't be sure if it's from the PSU even with only the CPU and GPU fans running, but it's definitely in that general area/the motherboard rather than the hard drive.

Ok, it is definitely, 100%, the power supply. I just took it out of the case and held it away and up to my ear. It's clearly coming from the PSU. A buzzing noise from the PSU all of a sudden... not a good sign. I bought this off of eBay maybe 7 months ago, I wonder if there's any possibility of an RMA with Fortron.

Yeah exactly, each time power usage goes up there's a noise. I.e. scrolling = CPU utilization.

Yeah man lets see if you can get that RMA... considerin the PSU model it must be defective cuz these things rock... or was it used when you got it?

I'm looking into it... I bought it used off eBay 7 months ago as I said, I'm not sure if it'll work out. It was in great condition when I received it though, hardly seemed like it had been used. I've already contacted the seller since if I can RMA it I'll probably need stuff like invoice # and date of purchase and all.

Back