• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wierd problem with s754 setup and mem timings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

Tried asking in the amd-asus mobo section, but no responses... so here goes:

Sempron 3300+, Asus K8V-X SE mobo. While testing this combo caseless I noticed something: No matter what I set the memory to in bios, upon next boot the timings would always be 2.5-7-7-15 (or something like that, it was a few days ago. maybe it was 2.5-6-6-15.)

I could run memtest and used the advanced controls to manually change timings on the fly, for example to 2-3-3-6, and I'd see the reported bandwidth jump accordingly, however, like I said - no matter what I set the mem timings to in bios, upon saving and rebooting they're 2.5-7-7-15.

I'd really like some help with this because I'd really like to swap this chip/mobo into my main rig today or tomorrow, replacing my 2.4c. (and hand-me-down gifting the 2.4c to my bsd server.)

Bump for please help me. :(

plz plzplz

Seriously though, this is killing me. I just don't understand at all. I think I'm missing something fundamental about the entire platform (socket 754 / athlon64-based architectures.)

Check your CMOS pins...you might have it set up to clear CMOS constantly :banghead

If not then PM a Senior Member 'cause I'm no good with memory timing or OC'ing...yet :santa:

The bios will save everything *else* related to the session - I.E., overclocks, voltages, don't display fullscreen logo, don't enable serial ports / parallel ports etc.

And the bios *looks* like it's saving the memory timings - if I set it to 2-3-3-6, save and reboot, enter memtest and see 2.5-7-7-15, reboot, and enter bios, it merrily displays 2-3-3-6. =/

I suppose I can manually set the timings every time I reboot, but wow what a pain in the rear. =/

Sounds to me like MEMTest is just reading it wrong...I think BIOS would be right...

Run Everest after you try changing mem timings and see if Everest says they are back to default.

Shadowhawk109 said:
Sounds to me like MEMTest is just reading it wrong...I think BIOS would be right...

Run Everest after you try changing mem timings and see if Everest says they are back to default.

Except memtest reports on current memory bandwidth, and this value changes as I change the timings via advanced options. (which is proper, it should and does increase if i'm tightening the timings.)

*whistles air as your comment flys over my head"

If I get this straight, you change your timings in Memtest, they stay changed in BIOS, but go back to defaults in memtest?

Shadowhawk109 said:
*whistles air as your comment flys over my head"

If I get this straight, you change your timings in Memtest, they stay changed in BIOS, but go back to defaults in memtest?

No, let me try to explain this better.

No matter what I set the timings to in BIOS, no matter what I on-the-fly set the timings to in Memtest, if I reboot the displayed timings revert back to 2.5/6/6/15 in Memtest.

I know 2.5/6/6/15 is accurate because I'm only getting 800 someodd mb/s bandwidth in Memtest initially. If I change the timings on-the-fly to say, 2/3/3/6 then the bandwidth will jump up to 1100+, if I enable 1t then it jumps up to 1300+.

And if I reboot it's back to 2.5/6/6/15.

Bios looks like it is saving my settings - if I reboot and go into bios, it says 2/3/3/6, but it doesn't actually USE these settings... and the settings that it does use are just ridiculously awful for even the lamest most crusty ddr ever sold. What ddr came with timings of 2.5/6/6/15? It's a ddr board, not ddr2, so I'm just befuddled here.

No, because it's only this board. =p

I can put it in a p4c800 s478 board, works fine. MSI KT3 Ultra2 socket a board, works fine. I have an Asus A7V880 board here that I bet would work fine too.

It's this K8T800 chipset, or some fundamental misunderstanding of mine regarding athlon 64 memory architecture. =/

Back