• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops shipping with Vista upgrade capability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Hi, I have a familly member who is looking at getting a new laptop sometime soon, but was hoping to wait for Vista. Unfortunatly his good old Dell Inspiron 8000 finally conked out.

I heard a rumor that some companies were going to start shipping laptops right now with Windows XP or Media Center, but also give users a free upgrade to Vista when it does come out.

Is this true? Does anyone have any information on it? If so that would be awsome. Thanks a bunch! :cool:

"Free upgrade"? I don't know about that, but the "vista compatible" or "vista ready" stickers have been out for a while. Seen them on the latest HP notebooks we buy for our business customers for the last few months.

Let me know if you find that deal :p.

Actually some OEMs sell PCs with Software Assurance licenses. Basically you buy a machine with Windows XP and if Vista comes out within a time period (typically 1 year) then you get the upgrade.

Back