• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matrix RAID suggestions for gaming box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I'm building a new gaming computer, and would like some suggestions on a HDD setup. Looking for the best bang for the buck. It'll be Matrix RAID setup.

I will most likely be using this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

Really just looking for suggestions and ideas. I think I want to just stick with 2 HDDs, but haven't made my mind up yet.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for either 2x200GB or 2x250GB. How much of a difference does a 16MB cache make compared to an 8MB cache? Also, noise is a big factor too, then reliability.

Last edited:
Sizewise, forget 200GB, choose either 320GB or 250GB, but then if you prefer 2 X 320GB, consider 3 X 250GB as well.

For me, my 2 X 250GB practically noiseless considered their noise was totally masked off by Intel CPU HSF stock fan at 1000RPM even on synthetic benchmark when finding average seek time. But again, spotted few perp owners were complaining about it.

About the heat, my DVD burner when finished burning was a lot warmer.

Reliability, they're too new to draw any conclusion now, but it is covered by 5 years warranty.

Cache size, I'm interested about that too since I'm using 8MB version. :)

bing said:
Sizewise, forget 200GB, choose either 320GB or 250GB

Agreed.

bing said:
For me, my 2 X 250GB practically noiseless considered their noise was totally masked off by Intel CPU HSF stock fan at 1000RPM even on synthetic benchmark when finding average seek time. But again, spotted few perp owners were complaining about it.

About the heat, my DVD burner when finished burning was a lot warmer.

From what I hear about Seagate Perpendiculars, they get pretty hot. But the truth is any 7200rpm 250GB drive will get hot if it isn't properly cooled. Make sure you get some good airflow past the drives, and heat won't be an issue. No worries, a loud fan/s isn't necessary (although a good pressure rated fan running at 5v or 7v is better than one with a low pressure rating running at 12v).

bing said:
Reliability, they're too new to draw any conclusion now, but it is covered by 5 years warranty.

Agreed! Probably very reliable. I have two seagates that have been nothing but reliable to me (older ones, not perps). But I also have 4x250gb WD Caviars which have also been nothing but reliable to me ;)

You can go for 250 or 320gb Western Digital Caviar RE's (WD2500YS or WD32000YS Raid Edition) which feature 16MB cache and 5 year warranty. They're being touted as highly reliable, and so far I don't doubt it. My friend has two of those in 320gb form, and they've been great so far. You can also go for the the Caviar SE16's (WD2500KS, WD3200KS) which also have 16MB cache but only a 3 year warranty (i think). I have two WD2500KS drives and they run quiet and have been great so far.

bing said:
Cache size, I'm interested about that too since I'm using 8MB version. :)

16MB is definately worth it. Will also become 32MB effective with RAID-0 (not sure if it will do that with matrix tho) :) Things will just feel more smooth and snappier with smaller hard drive operations.

Overall the Seagate Perpendiculars come recommended (but I've never tried them), and WDC SE16s and REs come highly recommended from me. You might also like the Hitachi's, but I don't know much about them. Personally, for my soon to be RAID-0 setup, I will be using 2x320GB WDC RE's.

I believe you've seen "too many" seagate perp drives on Intel matrix raid right ? he..he.. :D

Why not make some variations using WD as Maxor recommendation and share the result especially when they're in tight matrix raid 0. :)

Other important thing if you decided to use Seagate 7200.10 drives, "if possible" find the one with firmware higher than 3.AAC, and noted there are 3.AAE across internet forums and my observation is the latest 3.AAD or 3.AAE are better in CPU utlisation compared to version 3.AAC, some are even less than 50%. I could be wrong, but nothing to lose though.

@maxor,

Great , please share the ICHxR result on those WDs once they're up & running, I'm very interested on their write performance ! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

There will be decent air flow for the drives, so cooling should certainly be sufficient. I'm hearing a lot of good about the Seagate perps, and am probably leaning towards those at 2x250GB. I'll have to find some that have the 16MB cache (which I'm presuming they do exist).

Bing: The RE's will be runnin Raid-0 on NF4. I do have an A-bit IC7-G with an ICH5 southbridge. Want me to test with that? Note: Will be quite a while before I get these drives >=[

Buck: How do you want to slice up your matrix?

@Maxor,

Sure, hope it wont trouble you too much, anyway it will be interesting to watch how that old ICH5 perform in matrix, just curios if there is any big difference compared to latest ICH8/7R generation, thanks a lot. :)

I feel flattered thanks again, my suggestion is just start a new thread when you got those results ! :)

For Intel ICH use 128K, not for NF4, 16K ?

gonna have to say 250gb Seagate perpindiculars.... got 2 of them on a matrix setup on my current rig (see siggy for specs) i have a 50gb raid 0 partition for the OS and apps that pumps out 160mb/s average sequential and 9.3 ms responce times :drool: :beer: then the rest is raid 1 for storage.

needless to say it todally owns up my friends 8mb raptor array and it would be right there with a "normal" "full disk" raid 0 array on some new raptor 150s pluss i have WAY more space and it was ALOT less than some raptors.

and they DONT run hot AT ALL... i have a very low speed 120mm fan blowing on them and they never get over 90*F

and yes use a 128kb stripe for the matrix raid controlers.... my ICH5R on my Abit IC7-G likes 16kb stripe for some reason.

and btw matrix raid is NOT on the ICH5R controler..... dont know about the ICH6R but anything above the 6R i know has matrix raid.

rrrr another edit.... 250gb Seagate Pirpendicualr drives ONLY come in a 16mb chache varrient....

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
and they DONT run hot AT ALL... i have a very low speed 120mm fan blowing on them and they never get over 90*F

The difference in temps between very low speed 120mm and high flow 120mm is actually quite small ;) My reasoning is that since HDDs are encased in a giant piece of metal, they act as their own giant heatsinks, and little airflow is needed to activate 90% of their heat transfer potential.

nd4spdbh2 said:
and yes use a 128kb stripe for the matrix raid controlers.... my ICH5R on my Abit IC7-G likes 16kb stripe for some reason.

Looks like I'll be experimenting with different stripe sizes.

nd4spdbh2 said:
and btw matrix raid is NOT on the ICH5R controler..... dont know about the ICH6R but anything above the 6R i know has matrix raid.

I will be unable to use matrix raid with the IC7-G ICH5?

bing said:
For Intel ICH use 128K, not for NF4, 16K ?

16K for NF4? I will say this: my friend with the two 74GB 16mb Raptors in Raid-0 on NF4 experimented with 64K and 128K stripe. 128K lead to slightly lower CPU usage compared with 64K. Wouldn't 16K greatly increase CPU usage?

Sorry, I wasn't aware you're talking about ICH5, really, I don't have any experience on that old ICH generation when it comes to Intel Raid.

Bout strip size for NF4, again I was just guessing since I never experienced in that either, just reading from lots of threads that 16K was the best.

Max0r said:
The difference in temps between very low speed 120mm and high flow 120mm is actually quite small ;) My reasoning is that since HDDs are encased in a giant piece of metal, they act as their own giant heatsinks, and little airflow is needed to activate 90% of their heat transfer potential.

Looks like I'll be experimenting with different stripe sizes.

I will be unable to use matrix raid with the IC7-G ICH5?

16K for NF4? I will say this: my friend with the two 74GB 16mb Raptors in Raid-0 on NF4 experimented with 64K and 128K stripe. 128K lead to slightly lower CPU usage compared with 64K. Wouldn't 16K greatly increase CPU usage?

the ICH5R controler does not support matrix raid as far as i kno... my abit ic7g doesnt have it or else i would be running a 20gb raid 0 partitoin on my current 2 x 80gb seagate raid array on that computer. IT all depends on the stripe size.... and yes the lower in stripe you go the more cpu usage.... on my matrix raid 0 50gb partition... with a 128k strip i only use about 3% cpu... with that same size partitoin and 16kb stripe it jumps to about 15% cpu usage. and yes the case does act as hard drive cooling.... i noticed when i unhooked my hitachi deskstar from the case and fully rubber mounted it... even with the same airflow over the drive, the drive still ran slightly hotter. but no more than 3-5*C

Back