• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

Well, I have 19 days on my EVGA step up program. Currently, I have a 7900GT KO, and i've been reading alot of good things about the 7900 GTO. Aparrantly, it's a 7900 GTX with it's memory underclocked.

If i understand the step up program correctly, I wil pay the difference between my original invoice price of the GT, and the price of the GTO on the evga site. My invoive on the GT was 278 (it had a 50 dollar rebate at the time), and the GTO lists for 299 on the evga site, so it would only cost me a little over 20 bucks + shipping.

But before I place or order, I just want to make sure, the 7900 GTO IS better than my gt right? By about how much? Also, should I be able to oc the memory to GTX speeds without much problem?

Thanks, as allways.

Do it, for sure. Then pick up a second one and you'll have a stinkin' GIGABYTE of video RAM! If I hadn't just bought a second 7800GT, I'd have bought one of those in a second.

OK, cool, thanks for the quick reply, that's 1 yes. It seems like a no brainer to me, but just wanted to check with the experts first :)

Also, if anyone has any personal benchamarks with it, or links to benchmarks/reviews, that would be great.

XxNightfirexX said:
I thought they weren't allowing step-ups to the GTO for some reason (limited edition?), and you could only use it as a card to step up from?

:cry:

That would suck. Currently, I cannot pick it form the list of step up cards, but I thought it might have just been because it's new and they havn't added it yet :(

I sure do hope your wrong.

XxNightfirexX said:
I thought they weren't allowing step-ups to the GTO for some reason (limited edition?), and you could only use it as a card to step up from?

I think he is right

But as for a benchmark, i went from a 3dmark05 score of 8053 with my 7800gt to 10624 with my 7900gto, and i haven't gotten around to really trying to max my GTO yet.

It OC's great out of hte box though =D

Defenatly worth it, I would do it asap :D

Ram clocks really dont affect performance enough to bother real time gaming experience.

Im going for GTO's when I upgrade :) Take pics!!!! :attn:

:(

evga e-mail said:
Answered By Arthur V (10/17/2006 3:13:15 AM): We have not made the 7900gto available for step up per our terms and conditions which is as follows: # What products will EVGA make available to the Step-Up Program? * EVGA will only release EGS (EVGA Genuine Spec) versions of its products to the step-up program. * Products that have been pre-configured with higher clock speeds will be released based on yield rates and in limited quantities and on a first come first ship bases. * Products known to have limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up Program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA production.)

This kind of stinks. I was excited to get the gto. It would cost me 200+ to upgrade to the GTX, which I don't think is worth it. Do you think I would have any problems selling my 7900GT for say, 200 in the classies? This way i can take that 200 and the upgrade to the gto would be about 50 if i get it from newegg,

mr. roboto said:
:(

This kind of stinks. I was excited to get the gto. It would cost me 200+ to upgrade to the GTX, which I don't think is worth it. Do you think I would have any problems selling my 7900GT for say, 200 in the classies? This way i can take that 200 and the upgrade to the gto would be about 50 if i get it from newegg,

That will sell in the classifieds for around 210$. If I had the dough, id buy it from ya, but Im broke :cry:

they dont offer it for step up because they know its just a GTX with lesser ram and equal performance, sorry for the let down

well, if I could sell it for 210, then it would only cost me 40 to uprade to the GTO. I'll have to think about this.

yah im in the same boat.. i picked up a 7900gt ko on ebay for a surprisingly cheap 170 like a good month ago or longer.. slapped a nv5 silencer on it and volt modded for oc.. and bearly had my system running wiht it for a week since i had to wait for all the parts for my upgrade, then this gto comes out...

If anything you shouldnt have problems selling it on ebay for 200. I jus sold my bfg 6800gt agp for $150 which is more then what i was expecting (i also threw in hitman blood money since i already completed it and said it was a great game to try out the card) hehe. hope that helps.

i scored a high 9xxx in 3dmark05 tho, so i dont think it would be justifable if you got to go through some strings to swap to a 7900gto. I think Ill have to upgrade to a E6300 c2d before i look into another video card.

THe race for benchmarks can be stupid at times since its all about upgrading things that dont really make much difference in our games/ everyday tasks and jus bragging rights.

also the G80 is around the corner jus wait it out. =D

or better yet, in a few weeks try to pick up another used 7900gt and run sli, should still have tons of hmmmph to push anything around

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm bored though lol. I hit slightly over 10k in 05 with my gt overclcocked. I'm passing on the g80 i think, it uses way too much power for my liking, and don't want to be an ealy adopter for dx10. I'll wait for the second line of dx10 cards.

I might be putting my 7900GT up for sale for 200 or so in the classies. I mean, it still retails for 280, so it's a good deal for anyone who cant afford the gto. Plus, i feel alot safer selling on the forums than ebay or something.

Back