• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming monitor recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I am in the process of building a pretty nice gaming rig. I am still undecided on which monitor to get.

I remember several years ago, if you wanted to game, CRTs were definately the way to go. LCD technology just wasn't very mature then. Is it any different today?

Looking for a 19" monitor. Probably a CRT because space, weight, or power consumption isn't a big deal. Plus, image quality is superior on a flat screen CRT, right?

I've seen a few Viewsonic monitors that looked pretty sweet, but any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

What are you main specs I need to pay attention to when looking at LCDs?

Will there be any ghosting with 5ms response time (for example, in the case of the Dell E207WFP).

And what about LCDs being only 16bit and CRTs being 32bit?

youngbuck said:
What are you main specs I need to pay attention to when looking at LCDs?

Will there be any ghosting with 5ms response time (for example, in the case of the Dell E207WFP).

No, you will not be able to see any ghosting with a 5ms response time. I think generally if you can go 12ms (Grey to grey) or less, you'll be ok....I'd try to go 8ms or less.

Any of those dells to which I linked will be ghost free.

Other things to consider (If you are perhaps down to 2 panels and cannot decide) are Contrast Ratio(usually the higher the better), Viewing angles (higher the better, if one states an angle less than 90 and another is closer to 180, then you would have to double the less than 90 to get an equal number), type and/or number of inputs. (try to get one with DVI, which will give you a digital connection between your LCD and vid card and thus give you a sharper picture.

If you do decide to go the CRT route don't bother getting a new one. You should be able to find used 21" trinitron or diamondtrom tube monitors for <$200, do some forum searches.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards getting an LCD. That IBM P275 looks pretty sweet though. If I were to get a CRT, I'd go with something like that.

What about wide screen LCDs. I thought I read about there be disadvantages to those. Like, they have there native resolutions, but if a game doesn't have the option for that resolution then things get messed up (interpolation?)?

Most mainstream games are able to run on widescreen. THe only ones that usually have problems are old, indie games. Most of those work fine, too. For LCD i would recommend the benq 20.1, the dell 2007wpf or the dell E207wpf(basically cheaper 2007wpf). Those are all solid, great quality monitors.

Thanks for the suggestions crazymonkey, I like the specific model recommendations. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. Anyone have any other specific models I should look at?

I have been doing a lot of research lately on LCD monitors, and I would recommend the dell 2007wpf or the dell E207wpf as well.

i think typical would mean average response as opposed to just listed response is taken at any colortemp they please.

so at a white temp it could 5ms but then dark gray could b e20-30...

i'm anxiously awaiting tom's review and measurements on this monitor since i just ordered one from dell myself and hope the response isn't as un-uniform (word?) as some other monitor measured on his site.

I would recommend a ViewSonic VX2235wm. I got one today, and I am impressed with how good the image quality and video/gaming performance is. It is a huge step up from my old Samsung 930B.

youngbuck said:
On Dell's website, the 2007WFP is listed as having 16ms 'typical' response time.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688

Then the E207WFP is listed as having 5ms response time.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

So, what is 'typical' response time, compared to just plain response time.
Also, what does the E stand for in E207WFP?

The one that matters in terms of ghosting is the Grey to Grey refresh time (GtG)

Which I believe on the 2007wfp panels is 6ms

I WOULD NOT buy an expensive LCD right now, I'd wait for the SEDs to come out. I'm using my an amazing $135 CRT monitor (21") and the image quality is so far above my $300 LCD I used to have and my $170 LCD I still have. :)

I dont know if it is just me but i still prefer the looks of a good quality CRT over any LCD, i did finally buy my first LCD and it looks good and all but if i have my choice (if the kids or husband are not on it) i will sit down at the computer with the 20" CRT anyday hehe.

Not to mention that my CRT cost less then half what my LCD did :)

Back