• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Does the Fastest Computer in the World Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For those of you that dont want to enter your email:

Article said:
SupercomputerThere is no way you could have guessed this, and I was shocked to find this out. This supercomputer -- RIKEN's MDGrape-3 -- is 300 percent faster than the currently accepted world leader IBM Blue/Gene L.

It is so specialized that it cannot be tested with the typical ranking software so this computer is not officially ranked among the fastest computers in the world.

However, it is the first computer to break the petaflop barrier, meaning 1 quadrillion calculations per second. Almost sounds like a Saturday Night Live parody, but it's true.

If you haven't guessed it by now, this computer is not used to design nuclear weapons, predict the weather, do complex quantum physics calculations, astrophysics or launch satellites into space. It is used to design drugs to sell to you! Specifically, it conducts molecular dynamics simulations for pharmaceutical research.

Isn't that nice?

Now, drug companies can come up with even more ways to manipulate and deceive you with magic Band-Aids that, in no way, shape or form, treat the cause of the illness but, in every way, work to greatly increase their bottom-line profits.

oooh, ok...it was a popup that asks for it?

my Firefox w/ adblock never even allowed it to show up... :)

FF + Adblock FTW

(I never knew this forum had ads either, until their was a thread about it :))

Personally I could have done with the basic info sans the drug company hate rant. Not that I disagree it's just not what I come here for ;)

You know, some drugs actually do treat the cause of an illness... If you're going to rant about something, you should at least get your facts straight.

I much prefer the howstuff works explanation. More facts, less random loss of touch with reality.

Yeah looks like someone doesn't actually know anything about the pharamceutical industry....

David said:
Yeah looks like someone doesn't actually know anything about the pharamceutical industry....
In their defense, it's much easier to form an opinion with little to no information, than it is with a lot of information. There's less thinking involved.

Back