• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp - A program for accurate Intel temperature monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Coolest said:
My name is Arthur Liberman, so if you read the About box that would ring a bell ;)

This is a new version, check it out

Hey art! So what's the scoop on those Bangkock after parties? :beer:

dominick32 said:
Thanks for the update. Any chance you can modify code to allow Live vcore monitoring and updates along with the temperature? CoreTemp seems to simply pull the bios vcore and keep it as a static number.

Thanks for the great software.

Dom

VID != VCore. VID is voltage ID, its what the motherboard uses to set proper CPU voltage. This value is variable in laptops and in PCs running with EIST enabled.
Unfortunatly there's no way to read actual VCore from the CPU, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
its showing my temps just fine as well, i'm talking about the Tjunction....does yours change? and yes my bios is up to date. ;)

Tjunction is a static value (similar to TCaseMax) only it relates to the maximum temperature "allowed" for the junction between the CPU die and the PCB.
This value can be either 100C or 85C in Core/Core2 CPUs

rainless said:
Hey art! So what's the scoop on those Bangkock after parties? :beer:

:confused:

The Coolest said:
VID != VCore. VID is voltage ID, its what the motherboard uses to set proper CPU voltage. This value is variable in laptops and in PCs running with EIST enabled.
Unfortunatly there's no way to read actual VCore from the CPU, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I appreciate your feedback and I do know that VID is voltage ID and a static number. That is what I was pointing out. I am very curious if it would be possible for you to implement live voltage monitoring? Example: Is there any way to access the motherboard vcore monitor/sensor such as PC Probe does?

And I also see that you responded with:

So I guess not... Anyway, great software. :beer:

The Coolest said:
Tjunction is a static value (similar to TCaseMax) only it relates to the maximum temperature "allowed" for the junction between the CPU die and the PCB.
This value can be either 100C or 85C in Core/Core2 CPUs

awesome, thanks. :)

soooooo, you are THE guy who wrote this little nice program huh?? TKS man!!! :thup:

btw, any idea as to why it reads differently than TAT (usually higher than TAT)?? :rolleyes:

programs

I don't understand these programs. What am I supposed to believe? I am also wondering if my temps are alright.

Full:

Idle:

LandShark said:
soooooo, you are THE guy who wrote this little nice program huh?? TKS man!!! :thup:

btw, any idea as to why it reads differently than TAT (usually higher than TAT)?? :rolleyes:
Thanks. And to be completely honest, I have no idea.

n5bail:
I would believe Core Temp\TAT reading quite a lot more than software that reads a sensor that is located on the motherboard.

The Coolest said:
Thanks. And to be completely honest, I have no idea.

n5bail:
I would believe Core Temp\TAT reading quite a lot more than software that reads a sensor that is located on the motherboard.

I have been trying to find this out as well... Since they both are suppose to be reading from the built in chip sensor.

My guess is in the programming its not a simple call like "CPU.GETTEMP" but more like a sensor reading that has to be ran through an equation to determine the temp. I am betting that TAT uses a slightly different equation than Core Temp?

Maybe its a rounding issue? Floor vs Ceiling? Its gotta be in the coding if they are BOTH reading the same sensors???

coretemp reads the temperature of the core (tjunction) and your speedfan is reading the temp of tcase. You can also see that intels thermal analysis tool is close to coretemp, they are both pretty acurate.

Version 0.94 - 16th November, 2006
- Fix: Temperature log file not created in EXE folder.
- Fix: Temperature log file left "Processor" field blank.

- Add: An actual icon for the EXE/System tray.
- Add: An option to display temperature in Fahrenheit.
- Add: An option to start Core Temp minimized.

- Change: Only list physical processors in CPU selection.
- Change: Improve Intel CPU detection.

- Remove: GCPUID button.

Older versions

I know that many of you have expected to see a system tray icon that would display CPU temps.
I'm just way too busy to get any work done lately, I started some course so its work then come home and do homework.
Next release should have an OSD display if I can get it working quickly enough.
Hope you like the update, Intel users will get better CPU recognition and Revision detection.

Once again great work and has anyone ever said your the cooliest :D

thank's for the update....

Version 0.95 - 17th March, 2007

- Fix: Revision F Turion/Turion X2 detected wrong.
- Fix: Core Temp fully loads one core on a dual core AMD CPU.
- Fix: Core Temp crashes on Dual Core Opteron 200 series systems.
- Fix: Core Temp misdetected certain Dual Core Opteron CPUs.
- Fix: Must set Core Temp to run as Administrator in Vista.
- Fix: Can't see Core Temp GUI if Core Temp was last closed minimized.
- Fix: C2D L2 rev. report very low temperatures. (Tjmax to 100C)
- Fix: Core Temp reported wrong temps after a while. (Driver conflict)
- Fix: Core Temp reported Max VID on Intel CPUs. (Now shows current)

- Add: Show temperature in System tray.
- Add: Manual refresh option by pressing F5 or "File" Menu.
- Add: Show "Delta to Tjunction" temperature for Core 2 CPUs.
- Add: Support for latest Intel and AMD CPUs.
- Add: Minimize/Restore option in system tray icon right click.
- Add: Save last window position.
- Add: Prevent 2 instances of Core Temp from launching.

- Change: Rewritten Intel CPU recognition code.
- Change: Core 2 Duo codename change to Conroe-2M from Allendale.
- Change: Pop up bubble-window with temperatures removed.
- Change: Not Beta status anymore.

omg using this version of coretemp shows my E4300 15 deg hotter than the previous version... its now idling at 40-44 deg... is it still safe?

Retrolock said:
omg using this version of coretemp shows my E4300 15 deg hotter than the previous version... its now idling at 40-44 deg... is it still safe?
the other version was off for Allendales by 10c-15c so yes that is the right temp with the new version.

thanks for the quickreply evilsizer. :D

whats your temps by the way? is mine still safe? dang its summer now in our place...

Back