• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x4 intro by AMD + pics [ 56K Warning! ]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

AS POSTED BY informal AT XS.ORG

http://66.249.93.104/translate_c?hl...aforme-di-amd_index.html&prev=/language_tools

titolo.jpg

Part of google translation
In concomitanza with the World Cyber Games 2006, the Olympic Games of the videogiochi that they are being carried out in these days in the scene of the automotive circuit of Monza, AMD has carried out the first official demonstration in Italy of the own platform 4x4, famous also with the name of Quadfather. Draft of an endowed system of two processori AMD Athlon 64 FX dual Core, in degree therefore to on hand put of the customer a maximum of the 4 Cores of processore at the same time.

Not only: Quadfather will be able to come dawned, beginning from the half of 2007, with the new processori Quad Core who AMD previews to introduce in that period. This platform, therefore, will become before for systems desktop equipped of support to the 8 accessible Cores of processore from the operating system. In order which reason, according to AMD, a system desktop for the advanced domestic customer will demand at the same time therefore elevated number of the Cores of processore available? The answer takes the name of Megatasking.
scheda_madre.jpg
These the technical characteristics of a reference board for systems AMD Quadfather:

* 4 Slot Pci Express x16 (shapes to you with marks them electrical workers x16, x8, x16, x8)
* 12 3 channels SATA Gb/s
* 1 connector UltraDMA 133/100
* support to technology NVIDIA MediaShield
* Support RAID: RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD

sistema_4_s.jpg
sistema_2_s.jpg
sistema_5_s.jpg

About the "RAM issue" :
This last image evidences two particular elements: the first one is the cooling impeller mails on the dissipator of heat of the mosfet of the feeding circuitry: it remembers very close give those supplied in equipment with several cards Asus mothers, and this can leave to mean which it can be the partner to which it has been entrusted the construction of this card. In the second place we find Corsair memories of the Dominator series: draft of solutions DDR2 of the type Unbuffered and not ETC Registered, characteristic that confirmation as AMD has constructed the platform 4x4 thinking to memory DDR2 Unbuffered therefore to privilege the latenze of access. We remember as the platforms Opteron Socket 1207 pin demand necessarily use it of memories ETC Registered of type DDR2.
Also,forum member of THG,said that :
As far as the specs; from the horses mouth (Brent Barry of AMD),

4x4 will ship with 2 DDR2 slots per chip and WILL NOT USE REGISTERED RAM. The first ASUS mobo only has two video slots but they said they wil be adding 2 when the new nVidia and ATi chipsets come out.
The expected launch is next month. I forgot to ask if there would be DIY sales but I would say that it own't be long since most real enthusiast power users (home) want to put there own PC together.
He also hinted that future versions may support more than 4 GB RA

This was from http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Intel-AMD-wow-Digital-Life-ftopict204643.html

So there you go,no registered RAM.
Good info.

big_4x41.png

big_4x42.png

big_4x43_bundles.png

big_4x4mobo.png

big_alienware.png

big_mega1.png

hothardware

You should go to AMD's website and read the tons of PDFs that they have on future technologies, quadcore and 4x4 cores.

http://virtualexperience.amd.com/
Go to AMD's tech section.

The new Opteron platform is crazy... mmm... 4 quadcore processors. each with enough HT bandwidth to transfer 24gbits x 3

Shell said:
You should go to AMD's website and read the tons of PDFs that they have on future technologies, quadcore and 4x4 cores.

http://virtualexperience.amd.com/
Go to AMD's tech section.

It's pretty funny, after the HP speaker the MC comes on again and says "I don't know about you but I want to visit the HP booth after this presentation" whereupon the canned audience breaks out into laughter :D lol like everyone knew he was only kidding or something rofl

WOW. i have to say, I am starting to rethink what i think about the 4x4 multi socket AMD design, Intel better watch there asses. I can already tell this is gonna kick them in the ***. The only thing i dont agree with on those press sheets is the "Multi Sockets are the future" No, this is soooo wrong. they better not stick to this as there cream of the crop design, they better keep making top of the line chips and features for single socket boards as well....

AC3421 said:
...The only thing i dont agree with on those press sheets is the "Multi Sockets are the future" No, this is soooo wrong. they better not stick to this as there cream of the crop design, they better keep making top of the line chips and features for single socket boards as well....
umm, this is geared as their offering for the enthusiast market, to which they consider a new market they can capitolize on, because they know it not only appeals to enthusiasts but low-end workstations/servers as well, to which you can thank everyone who bought s939 Opterons ;)

Looks like a great system to run my manned Mars mission. It will even heat my space capsule.:bday:
Look, I am as anti Intel as anyone on this forum, but somehow this doesn't look like the answer to the latest Intel cores. To me, this looks like a Frankenstein monster. I don't think you can pick parts from the graveyard, stick them together and viola, it's alive! Rather than trying to pack more stuff into the box, they need to think out of the box. Besides, who here can afford or would buy a system of this magnitude?

AC3421 said:
WOW. i have to say, I am starting to rethink what i think about the 4x4 multi socket AMD design, Intel better watch there asses. I can already tell this is gonna kick them in the ***. The only thing i dont agree with on those press sheets is the "Multi Sockets are the future" No, this is soooo wrong. they better not stick to this as there cream of the crop design, they better keep making top of the line chips and features for single socket boards as well....
That's right its an *** kicker. But can we refrain ourselves and let's just be more civilized than some of Intel Fan's who resort to those phrases against AMD. thanks.

R7, nice seeing you again. Sorry for missing your reply to me a few days ago, I read it last night. :)

ochungry said:
That's right its an *** kicker. But can we refrain ourselves and let's just be more civilized than some of Intel Fan's who resort to those phrases against AMD. thanks.

R7, nice seeing you again. Sorry for missing your reply to me a few days ago, I read it last night. :)

I never said anything negative towards Intel. I basically said I think this product will take AMD back to the top and beat out Intels Conroe.

8 cores :rolleyes: woopty *****

the fact still remains...IF and WHEN this comes out it will be nice.... and the fact that we really havnt even begun a total swap to dual threaded programs to even take advantage of dual cores... whats the point in 8 cores.... none.... i mean we have all seen the benchmakrs between the conroe and kentsfield.... literally there is no difference in most real world apps even though the kentsfield has twice the cores.....

i guess if it was purely for a server or whatnot ya...

who will buy? are you serious? can we again bring some perspective to this

if games utilize multiple cores(and they will), which is better, 2 cores, or 4? or, this time next year, which will be better, 4 cores, or 8?

Opteron 2218....$799 FOR ONE, $1598 for two(4 cores)
Intel QX6700.....$999 (4 cores)
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20061018A7038.html
FX72....less than $1000 [being 3 SKU's, FX70(2.6), FX72(2.8), and FX74(3.0), only the FX74 will sell for over $1000]
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35049

and it's not like you gotta have the best ram, 4 gigs is 4 gigs, not that you have to even get that much

and one can assume amd quads will be cheaper than this, since it's cheaper to make a 1 quad-core than it is to make 2 dual-cores

now, the only real question is, which will perform better at release, Intel quad-core, or AMD 4x4?

then it becomes which will perform better 1 year from now, Intel quad-core, or AMD dual quad-core?

I can see the use in this, and to be honest Molester your wanting to do 4-6 tasks that would normaly be for a single computer is it., but making an agument for games is pretty futal right now.
Yes, they will be untilizing more cores, but less cores is going to be faster..

So yes AMD's less cores in more sockets is going to be faster then a single chip with more cores, BUT SMP overhead even if connect with a HT bridge is going to add work to the system.

Honestly, if you really thought this was a long term viable enthusist product, don't you think the competition would be in on this?

Would these offer HT3 support as well? I am seriously looking into this. Despite the nice performance gains obtained by the "rig in my sig", I miss my AMD setup :(

I find it interesting that we are moving back towards the co-processor days (not exactly, but a similar paradigm).

we'll have to wait on more specs to see if it's HT3.0 ready

greenmaji, i don't understand what you mean by 2 cores is faster, considering the first 3 cpu's out will be 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0(with 2x1mb L2, for that extra 1-5%).... and carrying the FX moniker usually means unlocked multipliers, though, i'm not 100% sure of that, but even a 13 multiplier makes for good oc'ing. Also, that HT link that you say 'adds extra work' is part of what's helped Opterons gain market share in the server market, so I don't think it slows it down much. As for the 'competition', which you can only mean Intel, one would hope they'd step up and bring some competition, but maybe Kentsfield will be enough.

I think it'll be exciting enough to see how 4x4 does against the enslaught of Kentsfield. You might have to throw performance per watt out the window, but pure performance will be what I'm watching for.

Back