• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x4 intro by AMD + pics [ 56K Warning! ]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Super Nade said:
Would these offer HT3 support as well? I am seriously looking into this. Despite the nice performance gains obtained by the "rig in my sig", I miss my AMD setup :(

I find it interesting that we are moving back towards the co-processor days (not exactly, but a similar paradigm).
Maybe someday they make a 2 sockets motherboard, one socket for Intel cpu and the other for AMD, and call it "Amtel" motherboard. Then you wont miss either :bday:

nd4spdbh2 said:
8 cores :rolleyes: woopty *****

the fact still remains...IF and WHEN this comes out it will be nice.... and the fact that we really havnt even begun a total swap to dual threaded programs to even take advantage of dual cores... whats the point in 8 cores.... none.... i mean we have all seen the benchmakrs between the conroe and kentsfield.... literally there is no difference in most real world apps even though the kentsfield has twice the cores.....

i guess if it was purely for a server or whatnot ya...
It's all about staying on top. Look at it this way- If I had that machine you'd dare to say your E6600 kicks AMD's *** in front of me. Have a :beer:

ochungry said:
Maybe someday they make a 2 sockets motherboard, one socket for Intel cpu and the other for AMD, and call it "Amtel" motherboard. Then you wont miss either :bday:
Actually at this point, I don't really care for my Intel setup and I'll be selling it as soon as AMD put something competitive out. :)

Nothing against Intel, it is just a personal preference. The fact that AMD are allowing third party development to be compatabile with their architecture combined with the HT initiative, which is logically appealing sways my preference towards them.

I would envisage a 4x4 kind of board with third partry specialized slot processors. Now that would be very interesting. With the acquisition of ATI, there is already talk of integrating CPU's with GPU's and the slot model would fare rather nicely as an add on. I'm just speculating here, but then I have not heard anything from the Intel side.

On another note, I think it is not correct to compare the Quadfather to a 4 core Kentsfield. Completely different paradigms. To draw any comparisions would be wrong.

Last edited:
the big hope is that when K8L comes, they integrate the HTX slot on the new mobo's, that way, you don't have to sacrifice you second socket, in fact, if they put an HTX slot on single socket mobo's, you'll be able to take advantage of co-processers too

in fact, I envision a time with no sockets on the mobo, just HTX slots...

I was refering to less cores under the IHS generaly overclocking better because of heat issues. So I'm assuming that the 2 cored AMD's are going to have more overclocking headroom then quad cored Intel and vise versa.

There are rumors that Woodcrest (or its suscessor) are going to drop back to DDR2, but overclocking motherboards and lack of ECC would really have to take some strong comp. from 4X4.

I am also aware that the SMP overhead isn't as bad with the HT design but I was just making the coment that its still there.

Anyone have a picture of one of these HTX slots? That sounds intresting.

greenmaji said:
Anyone have a picture of one of these HTX slots? That sounds intresting.
http://www.hypertransport.org/

lots of info there ;)
s4985.gif

those HyperTransport V1.0 connectors(text very bottom left, follow the yellow leaders)

better pic
2158o1.jpg

again, slots inbetween sockets

Last edited:
well, socket F is LGA, and I have a sinking feeling AM3 will be too, which throws out the whole AM3 cpu's working on AM2, but worth it if you ask me

intel users can tell you how much they love not worrying about pins bending/breaking/snapping..., not to mention a more solid connection, and for us phase users, easier to grease

If you take a look at the AM2 HSF's manual, you will see that there is a mention of Socket-F compatability. So, the mounting bracket will not change, that much is for sure at this point. I'm curious regarding the electrical advantages an LGA offers over the traditional pin-out config. Any info on that?

well, i don't know the technical spec difference, i'm thinking common sense

instead of having to move 'grippers' into postion on pins, you just have individual springs press on pads

either way, there is still some chance of destruction, which is why i await htx, so you can replace your socket without replacing your whole mobo

The problem with LGA is that the motherboard is more likely to be damaged now. Since motherboards are normally cheaper than the processor most people won't mind . Those with really good motherboards and a cheap processor ( for whatever reason ) may not see it as a good thing . Secondly in my opinion , the it is easier to damage a LGA motherboard than it is to damage the pins on a processor especially if you are experienced at setting up systems .

Back