• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra X-Finity 500W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaciFIST69

I've been running the system in my sig for about six months now, 1 month with the x1900xtx. Zero stability issues when gaming, dual prime, anything. But I recently found this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=466293 and now I'm worried. Is it likely that it would die/combust or damage my stuff after being stable for so long?

I also checked the voltages with software: 3.3 and 5V are fine. But 12V is 11.25 and drops to 11.15 at heavy load. Don't have access to a multimeter right now but I can check it next week. Should I get a new psu?

I've had one for about 2 yrs now and it's been fine. I've heard a lot of bad things about them but I guess I was one of the lucky few.
As far as the voltage levels go, MBM5 reports are very low on my MB, which worried me, so I checked them with a multimeter and they are exactly where they should be. Check yours and you'll probably see that they are fine as well.

I ran an almost identical rig for a while and had no trouble. My voltages were all spot on and I was very happy. I am going to be using it in my new Allendale rig with my x1900xtx three HDs, two pumps and 5 fans. I'll probably upgrade it before the new year.

I have this too for my recently built "cheap" pc.
It is running perfectly fine.
The voltage rails are what they should be.
5V rail is only a tiny bit lower than 5V at 4.97V.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky few too.

Btw, however, my Ultra 400W V-series (which is also $0AR) was DOA.

PC spec:
A64 3000+ @ 1.1Ghz 1.125Vcore (or 2.75Ghz 1.55Vcore)
Crucial Baller Tracer 2GB DDR 2-2-2-5 1T
ASUS A8N-E
connect3D X700Pro
Hitachi SATA 80GB

Basically.. your taking a risk.. BUT.. You take a slight risk with any PSU.. Just other brands have lower risks and higher too. (powermax XD )

SeasonalEclipse said:
Basically.. your taking a risk.. BUT.. You take a slight risk with any PSU.. Just other brands have lower risks and higher too. (powermax XD )

Unfortunately, a lot of this smack talk comes from other heresay ignorance or experiences with much older models.

Ultra got a bad rap from the Ultra X-Connect 500W.

The X-Finity 500W you have came out a good two years after the X-Connect was introduced, and despite both units being "500W" power supplies, they're completely different. They're not even manufactured in the same factory.

You're fine.

i ordered one of these earlier in the week from Zipzoomfly. I came here wednesday via Fedex. I opened the box and one end of the psu was totally crushed. So now I got wait unitl ZipZoomFly files a claim with Fedex. ZipZoomFly tells me 2 to 4 weeks for Fedex to settle a claim for $63.00 psu. Now I got a customer out that long without a psu.

ww2717 said:
i ordered one of these earlier in the week from Zipzoomfly. I came here wednesday via Fedex. I opened the box and one end of the psu was totally crushed. So now I got wait unitl ZipZoomFly files a claim with Fedex. ZipZoomFly tells me 2 to 4 weeks for Fedex to settle a claim for $63.00 psu. Now I got a customer out that long without a psu.

Holy crap!

Was there any packing material in the box!??!

This sounds like when people ship me RMA's back in retail boxes with labels slapped on them. :(

http://www.jonnyguru.com/mishaps/

i got mine when the rebate special was going on, soo far soo good!!

thanks for the link jonnyGURU,, omg im laughing!! people are soo stupid with the cpu installs etc.. lol

I found this in someones signature. Its quite funny and does mimick my opinion somewhat:

$300 for your CPU
$500 for your GFX card
$100 for your memory
$200 for your motherboard
$9.99 for your PSU

Having an Ultra product take out your computer PRICELESS.

dominick32 said:
Its quite funny and does mimick my opinion somewhat....

Well, you know what they say... Opinions are like a55holes. Everybody is capable of being one. :D

jonnyGURU said:
Well, you know what they say... Opinions are like a55holes. Everybody is capable of being one. :D
It was funny none the less and it was based on your reviews Johnny!!! :santa: And I was in no way trying to be insulting bro. Just cracking a joke. You are my PSU idol!!! Along with Oklahoma Wolf, you guys rock.

dominick32 said:
It was funny none the less and it was based on your reviews Johnny!!! :santa:

I'm sorry, but I don't recall ever doing a review where any Ultra product "took out" a computer or even failed on the bench.

jonnyGURU said:
I'm sorry, but I don't recall ever doing a review where any Ultra product "took out" a computer or even failed on the bench.

I must have made a mistake thinking that. But I did read a lot of people that had problems with the Ultra PSU that I quoted (Ultra X-Connect 500W) and it was funny when I saw the signature on "infinite" and "greenmaji"'. I got a kick out of it. The truth is, I have no experience at all on the latest units from the Ultra line, therefore I cannot hold any sort of opinion or stance on the product.

I do read your reviews Jonny and the reason for my purchase of the Silverstone ST56ZF is because Oklahoma Wolf and yourself. Thanks to you I am completely satisfied with the unit. As far as that quote go's, I was cracking a joke..... No harm or pun intended, I apologize if I offended you. :beer:

PS- Just for the record, Jonny has one of the best PSU testing methodologies on the net.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everybody. Glad to hear it's working fine for some other people and if jonnyGURU thinks I'm OK, I feel a lot better. I'll still check it with a multimeter when I get a chance.

PS: funniest quote from that thread:

darkcow: how loud is this psu?
skou said:
At it's worst, just about as loud as a house burning.

At it's best, dead silent, since it would still be in the box, and never hooked up.

(Are you seeing a theme here?)

steve

PPS: I just saw an Ultra V-series 500W at Fry's for $40, free shipping with $40 MIR. How can Ultra afford that crap?

PaciFIST69 said:
PPS: I just saw an Ultra V-series 500W at Fry's for $40, free shipping with $40 MIR. How can Ultra afford that crap?

They can't. They're counting on low redemptions and impulse purchases from other vendors to keep things a float. That's why you never see channel-wide rebates. Unfortunately, the vendors all watch each other and when one vendor sees a FAR at their competitor, next order cycle they're going to ask for one. That's why you see these FAR bounce back and forth between Fry's and Radio Shack. They're playing "rebate wars."

I don't like it because it takes sales away from smaller guys like Performance-PC's and 2CoolTek that can't do the volume needed to secure the rebate. :(

Back