• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'll consider myself lucky...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

A little while ago I finished installing my new Corsair HX520W power supply, and then after I booted up I realized I needed another file off my old hard drive so I proceeded to hook the old drive up again. I got it, then shut down and disconnected my old hard drive. Then, for some reason, I pushed the power button on and nothing happened, so I pulled the power cable from my new hard drive out, and it turned on again. I tried it with the power to my new hard drive connected again, and as it started up, I could see a bright yellow/orange light coming from my case (I wasn't looking directly at it, but I had the side open), and then the smell of burning coming from it. Needless to say, I immediately shut it back down again, hoping that nothing was seriously damaged. I had a feeling it could be the power cable adapter that I used to convert from molex to SATA, so I took it off and installed the PSU's SATA cable, and powered everything up again and it turns out that I was fortunate and nothing died :) BTW, I was using the adapter instead of the cable from the PSU because I had a spare molex in the area so figured I'd put an adapter on it and connect it to my hard drive instead of running another cable from the PSU box for just the hard drive.

My room still smells like smoke / burnt electronics, but everything's up and running just like before so I'm feeling pretty lucky lol.

Back