• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub-US$500 AMD notebooks from Dell to hit the market in November

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061024PR211.html
Celia Lin, Taipei; Emily Chuang, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 24 October 2006]

Dell is set to begin shipping notebooks that feature AMD CPUs from the last week of October, according to Taiwan-based notebook makers. By the beginning of November, the first batch of 500,000 AMD notebook from Dell will officially hit the market, added the makers.

Dell will target the low-end of the notebook market with its AMD models, with prices ranging from US$449-499 for a 15.4-inch model coming first, though a 17-inch model will be added in the first quarter of 2007, the notebook makers noted,

Dell's 15.4-inch notebook is being manufactured by Taiwan-based Quanta Computer while the company's 17-inch model will by produced by Compal Electronics, the Taiwan notebook makers pointed out.

AMD currently accounts for less than 15% of the global notebook CPU market, but the company expects to grow its share significantly by partnering with Dell, the notebook makers said. According to the notebook makers, Dell will use 20 million AMD CPUs during the first year of their partnership (4Q06-4Q07) with notebook CPUs accounting for at least 20% of the total.

Although sources indicated that supply of AMD CPUs is running tight, AMD is willing to supply Dell with 500,000 units for the first batch. If sales go well, AMD will continue securing Dell with similar shipment volumes, the sources added.

AMD Taiwan declined to comment on the news.
Any guesses on just what AMD cpu will be in those notebooks?

here is a snippet from a dell rep on the notebookreview forums. doesn't tell what processor they will be using but it's interesting none-the-less.

the new AMD based notebook from dell will look like the E1505. they are calling it the E1501 and will have intergrated ATi based graphics, Xpress 1100/1150. i'm sales rep for dell and since it has already been announced/mentioned by other sites, i thought it'd be safe to say it. just to like you guys know.

too bad they aren't making a 14" or smaller amd system. a 15"+ laptop just doesn't cut it in a backpack.

Last edited:
yeah they need to make a sexy ultraportable with AMD in it. Putting AMD only in the clunky, cheap systems isnt really doin AMD much of a favor -- it makes them look like the cheap junk alternative to The Real Thing rather than what they really are -- the company that made drastically better cpus than Intel itself for about 6 years straight up until just now and certainly their next platform will be huge leap just as C2D was for Intel.

2ms said:
yeah they need to make a sexy ultraportable with AMD in it. Putting AMD only in the clunky, cheap systems isnt really doin AMD much of a favor -- it makes them look like the cheap junk alternative to The Real Thing rather than what they really are -- the company that made drastically better cpus than Intel itself for about 6 years straight up until just now and certainly their next platform will be huge leap just as C2D was for Intel.

like the way you past tense the other :)

here is some more information about the new dell notebooks..

processors dell will be using are the sempron, turion 64 and turion 64 X2.

the chassis will not have the media direct and the media keys in the front like the E1505. the chassis itself looks like a smokey gray color instead of silver.

no s-video or firewire and the built-in mediacard reader only reads SD/miniSD/MMC.

there will not be a ultrasharp option for the screen only truelife, so res will be stuck at 1200x800.

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
^^^ what a sucky laptop. lol
yeah, cause most laptop users use firewire and s-video or more than 3 types of media...oh wait, they don't

most people out there buy the cheapest thing that'll get what they need done, period

Molester said:
yeah, cause most laptop users use firewire and s-video or more than 3 types of media...oh wait, they don't

most people out there buy the cheapest thing that'll get what they need done, period

Okay? So that means it doesnt still suck? Every laptop i have seen nowadays comes standard with firewire and most of them with s-video. I agree with the cheapest thing possible, but still...

And isnt sony one of the leading (if not, the leading) producers in digital cameras and what not? What about the sony duo format?

It just seems to me as an unneeded convience at the cost of very few dollars.

And actualy, as "most laptop users", if you count my grandma, one of the least computer technical people you will ever meet, she uses 3 types of media (sony dup, SD, and another format). When theres no memory reader, shell use the firewire. But since this doesnt have firewire, or all the memory ports she uses, shell be foreced to spend more money on an external USB reader which just makes things more complicated for her.

i'll take your word on the media reader then, due to my ignorance on the matter of digicams :beer:

of course they suck though, relatively, guess i shoulda taken more into account this is an enthusiast forum ;)

Most digicams use SD but almost all professional camera's use compactflash. sony duo format really isn't that popular.

i agree that they could at least put s-video and firewire on the notebook. i'm using the dell e1405 and it has both those options.

Great price, and that is what i like. Yet i dont understand why not Firewire at least. They will probably release a upgraded version with Firewire. As for Sony crapy formats, i will never use them and most people dont need em. (People who need them are mostly Sony zealots, and they will buy a Sony laptop anyway.)

Back