• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HATE for sony discussed in vivid detail please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I understand a ton of people here hate sony.

I also know that people either LOVE sony or HATE sony with a passion. there's usually no in between.

I would like to know exactly why.

Now im not a sony fanboy. I am FAN of sony but not a fanboy. i have and will continue to use xbox/nintendo related items and have liked some of them.

Try to keep the hate to a minimum. meaning you can flame them but dont start swearing and stuff.

also try to list REASONS why you hate them or like them. not just 1 sentence like "yea i hate them, GO XBOX W00T"

I like them because they make great products that are usually cutting edge. Look at ps2. over 5 years old but still the BEST selling console and graphics are still decent. There prices are sometimes a bit much but you really do get a great product that will be used for LONG TIME. Usually the best games for the console and the most game support.

Never had a problem with sony and always got my money's worth. my ps2 was my first dvd player i bought 5 years ago and its still going strong to this day.

My psp was a great investment. Battery life is a bit sketchy but other than that a great product. Good line of games but i use it more of a music/mp3/video/internet in bed portable

List your reasons why you hate/love sony

That's my opinion of them

some people that hate sony grew up nintendo fanboys. I was one of them.

I just got to the point that i don't care which console has the best specs... as long as I enjoy the games i'm playing, then i'm fine.

I don't think anybody here... all the way down to Fudge... really "hates" Sony.

At least not based on anything I've heard anybody say on this site.

I mean they have sort of misguided, dillusional ideas about what they perceive to be Sony transgressions... but when you try to pin someone down to an actual fact... to Sony actually having intentionally done something wrong, it usually doesn't pan out.

Sony has SOME good ideas - the PS2 and PSP had potential, but both lack a killer app. Currently, their "gaming consoles" are more "media consoles"...The PS2 is one of the best DVD players around, but it doesnt have a singlular game that really sells it...the KH series and God Of War are GOOD games, but not amazing enough to be reasons to buy a PS2. Compare that to Microsoft or Nintendo with games like Halo or Super Smash Bros. and you can see why Sony's PS2 needs/needed a killer app. I love the variety that the PS2 offers, but it does NOT have a SINGLE game that sticks out. Just a bunch of near-good games that could have been...

The PSP was supposed to be better than the DS. I have both, and I think that the DS kicks the PSP's butt. Sure, the DS doesn't have video/music/picture capabilities from the get-go (Thats where Play-yan comes in ;) ) but the games are 100% better. The DS is more inventive and playful, and it truly is a VIDEO GAME console. The PSP is just a downgraded video iPod: 4GB max hard drive storage can be filled REAL quick. The internet browser is nice, but not worth the $200 the PSP costs.

When you look at it this way, the PSP was the start of Sony charging more than their console is worth-the PSP is a $150 console AT BEST.
The PSP's graphics compared to the DS are BEAUTIFUL...unfortunatly the PSP does not use the graphics very well because most of its games SUCK in comparison.

The way I see things: Get a DS if you like GAMING in nearly ANY category. Get a PSP if you don't have an iPod and you love sports games.

The PS3 will just be a continuation of paying more than the console is worth...the fact that some of the cores in the PS3 proccy pop when turned on, the hard drive overheating, and the Blu-Ray drive doubling its cost...me no likey.

Does the PS3 REALLY need Blu-Ray? I was always under the impression that a PS2 game didnt fill a 4GB DVD. What can BluRay do that a dual-layer DVD can't?

The XBOX 360 will sell because of it's killer app: Halo 3. We already know this.

The Wii will sell because it has so much to offer at an actually AFFORDABLE price.

The PS3 will sell because the Sony fanboys will flock to it with no logical reason whatsoever-it is a overpriced console with no reason for the $$$.

/Rant...flame on!

I don't hate Sony, I just hate their methods of doing things. Like sneaking in rootkits on peoples computer and not telling anyone about it. Heck at one time I owned a PS2 and orginal PS, but I will not be buying a PS3 until like 2 years I suppose, by then prices should be much better.

Sony makes good products, but a lot of them are overpriced, like their TV's, go into any electronics store and compare them side by side with another tv, then look at the price between the two.

Their cameras work great, but Canon gives your more quality for the money, it's proven, look at the many reviews on the web.

Their music division I will never buy from again, because of the rootkit situation. So anything that has Sony or BMG on the label will not get my money.

Also, this is just not a Sony thing for me, I'm the same way about EA games. EA is known for putting out crap a lot, I will no longer support companies like this by giving them money. Same goes for any company that uses Starforce protection, if a game company uses them I will not buy their product.

Companies like this survive because people roll over and take it then keep buying products from them. If you hit them where it hurts, in the pocket, eventually...hopefully they will clean their act up. I still have hope EA will be cleaned up.

My reasons:

• "PS3 is a computer ... we no longer need the PC" statement
  • Out of everyone I know who has had a Sony-Ericsson phone (7 people) the joystick has broken within 6 months
  • Out of the people I know who have had their EX-71 earphones (4 people), all of them have broken in the same way within 6 months
  • XCP rootkit copy protection
  • Followup to the rootkit - "Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" - Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global business division
  • Followup to the rootkit - requiring people to enter their email address to get the removal patch (which didn't remove it, just stopped it hiding itself) then saying that 3rd parties may send adverts to the address
  • PSP graffiti
  • The Sony salesperson I talked to in their store said that a monitor could have 200 dead pixels and they still wouldn't take it back
  • The fact that they created a fictitious movie reviewer to post good reviews of their own films which were getting panned by real critics

That's all I can think of for now.

Sony is generally just a "fake" company in my mind.

They take sub-par products, market them at incredibly high prices under a shiny badge and corporate label, and make millions.

Granted, I do own a Sony HDTV, and it owns, but that's just about the only product I've been satisfied with apart from our amplifier, which is also made by Sony.

Sony doesn't realize that most people aren't willing to shell out $500 for a game console, and that's like buying PS3 Jr. version.

However, I will say I regret buying a gamecube over a PS2, the PS2 was hugely successful and ultimately had some of the same issues that the PS3 does now.

One thing that bugs me about Sony is their haughty attitude towards the rest of the industry, like they make the best stuff out there and nobody can touch them. It's almost guaranteed nothing will come close to the PC for a long time. I don't think the PS3 can even touch what PCs are about to do next year with the release of Vista and DX10. I'd love to see a PS3 try to run Crysis with all the goodies turned on.

I agree with your sentiments Seven, I don't like how they act so arrogant - as though nothing can touch them. Hopefully this laptop battery issue will take its toll.

I don't hate Sony cause I don't have a reason to. They push to many products out to the market and want them all to be successful. In turn most of it comes back to bite them in the *** and people hate them for it.

When it comes to PS3 and people blowing flames on it, I think personally that they are full of it and mainly hate it cause it has Sony label behind it. I always will support PS3 cause they are pushing gaming to the next level and that is always welcome in my book. All this talk that PS3 is aimed at being next PC and other nonsense claims is just comping up with excuses to hate them even more. M$ is doing same thing and I don't see anyone flaming them every 10min.

Take all that in account and like Frank has said it that there are allot of Nintendo fanboys here, you get the picture.

On the subject of Nintendo fanboys I'd like to add that I'm not one. The last Nintendo product I owned was the original GameBoy. I'm against consoles in general now.

I have no reason to hate sony. Every sony product i have owned, overpriced or not, has been very good quality. Hell, the DV Camcorder i bought 7 years ago (which was over 1000$ at the time, top of the line for then) is still working today and puts out some of the best quality DV i have seen compared to DV cams out now (granted, there cheaper)

Sony dvd players, sony cd players, sony dvd/rw drives, sony cell phones, sony blank media, headphones, cameras, you get the picture.

My sony erricson phone has lasted me years and years. You should see it, its bent in half, cracked, scratched, dropped, dropped in some water, and it still works fine. The camera sucks, but it was one of the first camera phones.

Sony produces so many differnt things that if one thing goes wrong, they get torn apart from it. You can argue that most of the hardware comes out of the same factory but with sony's name and a bigger price tag slapped on it, but they still sell it, because there sony. I personlay would spend the extra few hundred on a TV if it was between a Sony and a Westinghouse or some other lesser name. Sony has gotten to be that kind of company...

I also believe they pioneer many technologies and make plenty of improvements. I bet you they have stuff in the lab that you cant imagine would be available for years. they have to money to do research like that.

As fo the Blu-Ray, its very well going to be needed for the PS3 games. PS2 Games already take up a full DVD, and with the extreme amount of detail in the PS3 games, its going to need that 47gb's of data. Maybe not all of it right now, but in future games it will. Like i bet ps2 games didnt take up all 4.7gb's of a DVD when ps2 first came out.

And think about it. Blu-Ray player, 1000$, ps3, 500$, your basicialy getting a 500$ off coupon for a blu-ray player and a free multimedia game center. I gaurentee you sony is not making money off of each console they sell. Where they will make money is in Games, add-ons, controllers, books, accessories, etc. Microsoft was loosing something like 100$ for each 360 they sold, but they made it up with selling extra accessories and games, etc.

Sony is a gigantic company doing what gigantic companies do best, find ways to squeeze every little penny out of soemthing.

I base alot of my support of a company based on what a company does, and the quality of its products.

Sony, in the past few years, has made very many ethical grey choices. They do things that just... aren't right. From the shortages to the rootkits to the poor quality of a large percentage of their products, I just can't support them. If they release a quality product, sure, I'll buy it if it's the most logical choice for what I need. I factor alot of things in when I make a large dollar purchase. Quality is one of the largest, be it "Performance" quality "Build" quality, or "Enjoyment" quality.

Right now, PS3 doesn't seem to hit those(well, except performance ;)). Maybe I'll be proved wrong, maybe I won't...

ok lets see here

Sony USED to make a quality product, any electronics they sold would last quite a few years.

Now they rely solely on the name and not much else, too many of their products dont last as long as the competition.

The rootkit
The response regarding the backlash about the rootkit
The PS3 is a cmputer so we dont need one anymore
Sony being a GIANT proponent of DRM and FORCED DRM

Their Car audio is HORRIBLE. Xplod is aptly named.

Im in between. I hate them becasue of the price mostly, and because they supposdly just want to sell blu-ray'
But you can't judge it unless you tried it eg.
I love/need them because Im going to sell alot of them come christmas time (SEARS)

Yeah this is sort of what I meant.

Things like the one guy who said that the PS2 "lacked a killer app..."

The PS2... I don't know how many gazillion of those systems they sold... but apparently it "lacked a killer app." I guess San Andreas... which also sold a gazillion copies... didn't qualify as a killer app. Not did God of War. Or any of the earlier games like S.O.C.O.M. and Onimusha. Metal Gear Solid 2? Tekken Tag Tournament? SIX YEARS of best selling games and the Playstation 2 somehow lacked "a killer app."

rainless said:
Yeah this is sort of what I meant.

Things like the one guy who said that the PS2 "lacked a killer app..."

The PS2... I don't know how many gazillion of those systems they sold... but apparently it "lacked a killer app." I guess San Andreas... which also sold a gazillion copies... didn't qualify as a killer app. Not did God of War. Or any of the earlier games like S.O.C.O.M. and Onimusha. Metal Gear Solid 2? Tekken Tag Tournament? SIX YEARS of best selling games and the Playstation 2 somehow lacked "a killer app."

lol

Anyway, why I don't like Sony much at the moment:

1) their products are overpriced when comparing similar equiptment from other companies and uneducated people (no not those without a high school diploma) think Sony products are high end, lol. Maybe this has changed, but I don't buy Sony, pioneer, AIWA, etc anymore so I don't know.

PS3

1) IMO the pricing structure is way too high to suceed on the level they are looking for.

2) Cell is window dressing. They wasted tons of money on Cell and ended up with a console thats slightly more powerful than the 360, while MS zipped out a modified Power PC chip for much, much less. All that screwing around with cell means I pay more for basically equal results (not good).

3) Blu-ray is forced. We (gamers) don't need it, but due to the format war we HAVE to pay a premium to help Sony further their format. More money from me (not good).

4) They lie out of their butts about what their consoles can do and deliver well under the promised performance.

5) They NEVER admit mistakes and move on. In fact, they often put out some cocky statement in the press that is pretty much a slap in the face to any intellegent person.

6) PS2 is a great product, the PSP (regardless of what Nintendo fanboys say, just look at the library and you'll see its very extensive regardless of launching 6 months after the DS) is a great product and Sony seems to be doing their best to kill the PS3 with all of the above mentioned things.

Thats it:)

OC Noob said:
lol

Anyway, why I don't like Sony much at the moment:

1) their products are overpriced when comparing similar equiptment from other companies and uneducated people (no not those without a high school diploma) think Sony products are high end, lol. Maybe this has changed, but I don't buy Sony, pioneer, AIWA, etc anymore so I don't know.

PS3

1) IMO the pricing structure is way too high to suceed on the level they are looking for.

2) Cell is window dressing. They wasted tons of money on Cell and ended up with a console thats slightly more powerful than the 360, while MS zipped out a modified Power PC chip for much, much less. All that screwing around with cell means I pay more for basically equal results (not good).

3) Blu-ray is forced. We (gamers) don't need it, but due to the format war we HAVE to pay a premium to help Sony further their format. More money from me (not good).

4) They lie out of their butts about what their consoles can do and deliver well under the promised performance.

5) They NEVER admit mistakes and move on. In fact, they often put out some cocky statement in the press that is pretty much a slap in the face to any intellegent person.

6) PS2 is a great product, the PSP (regardless of what Nintendo fanboys say, just look at the library and you'll see its very extensive regardless of launching 6 months after the DS) is a great product and Sony seems to be doing their best to kill the PS3 with all of the above mentioned things.

Thats it:)

I've been on the fence about getting a PSP for a while now. I finally got a chance to try Tekken: Dark Ressurection in a Store... Forget about it. There's nothing on the DS, or any other Portable system that's ever been released like it. The closest I can think of is SNK vs. Capcom on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, where throwing a simple fireball was such an amazing acomplishment because it felt more like the arcade than any console fighting game ever released. Tekken: Ressurection isn't some sort of "LITE" version. It's an actual Tekken game. All the buttons, the graphics, the characters... All of it. I couldn't really get Jin to do everything I wanted him to do, but I haven't really played as him since Tekken Tag, so that stands to reason.

As for Sony being overpriced... They were always priced higher than their competition. It used to be because the higher quality of their components (VCRs, Television, Trinitron Monitors... etc) The last of those products I have (my VX-2000 DV camera) was patented almost ten years ago ( got my about five years ago) so I can't really comment on their more recent products (besides the PS2 and PSP). But I can say that sony was the first company to release a +/- DVD writer, and that for a number of years they're writers were among the best.

As for the PS3... The cell processor was just a stupid idea. But you're contradicting yourself by saying "equal results" you just said it was "slightly more powerful." It's actually a LOT more powerful. And what we're talking about is basically the difference in power between the X-box and the PS2. If the Xbox wasn't more powerful than the PS2 (and if it wasn't for the Xbox live) the Xbox would have failed. Plain and simple. The Xbox succeeded because, in games that were released for both systems, the graphics were usually better and the online connectivity pretty much ALWAYS better on the Xbox. (The gamecube could have shared a similar success if it wasn't for some particularly STUPID decisions on the part of Nintendo.)

What I don't understand is that, if nobody hates Nintendo for some of the boneheadedly similar decisions that they made (people DID buy those network adapters that never went anywhere...) why are people hating Sony now?

When you talk about stupid things like the rootkit... that's a completely different division. I don't suppose you can come up with anything you hate about some of Microsoft's divisions... (Who the hell do you think is IMPLEMENTING the DRM?) It just so happens Nintendo doesn't HAVE another division to pick on. I mean you have people here complaining about friggin' car radios...

Nintendo has a messed up corporate strategy, which is why they've fallen behind Sony and Microsoft (who JUST started).

What happened to my beloved fatass italian plumber? What happened to my REALISTIC forest-child turned savior of hyrule? What happened to nintendo's Million Seller Club?

Nintendo, you screwed up. Sorry.

HOWEVER: I do give Nintendo credit for managing to produce an interesting system with Wii. But it's a novelty that will soon wear off after a few games, just like Gamecube did. I played 4 games, beat a few, but most of them were not that great for a next-gen system. We're looking at an age where next-gen discs are coming into play, just like they were 6 years ago, yet there still is not a standard between all 3 consoles. I have to say Xbox did dark-horse the competition and pretty much come up to a point where they're leading the race, but I have to wonder, which company is going to go the way of Sega or Atari so many years ago?

Back