• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm about to go SLI with an Antec Phantom 350w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yah can you post a pic of your rails?

bentrailkd3.jpg

Rails are solid, all within 3%.

I installed 1.3 patch for Far Cry, water is fine now. :)

And I just bought a Hiper X Pro 580w SLI certified PSU. Onto eBay the Phantom goes! I'll miss you... :(

Hmm, so this thread proves that I've been right all along in recommending lower power units. What a surprise.

Of course, I would recommend a higher quality fanned unit (like a Seasonic) just to ensure that the capacitors are quality.

voodoomelon said:
Rails are solid, all within 3%.

I installed 1.3 patch for Far Cry, water is fine now. :)

And I just bought a Hiper X Pro 580w SLI certified PSU. Onto eBay the Phantom goes! I'll miss you... :(

Sweet!! http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews.php?id=32

Edit: Mixed Reviews Not sure which you have. And Toms Hardware may have gotten a bad sample which he claims was out of spec on the
-12v rail.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/stress_test/page19.html
or perhaps they're just a little anal about tolerances.Sure is a great looking unit.

Also Pro-Clockers test unit is described as almost silent, while Tom's unit was 61db(!?)

Attachments

• hpu-4k580large.jpg
    hpu-4k580large.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 39
  • powersupply_hyper3.jpg
    powersupply_hyper3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Slake thanks for that article with the 19 PSU test. I'm loving it. By the way, nice water loop there, voodoo.

Tell me about it, all the blocks were very close to dripping large drops of water onto components below, not to mention the condensation that was on the tubing. I'll have to wrap them in neoprene or something simlilar.

Hmm, the plot thickens.

I can't get the card to work in SLI.
Both cards are fully seated, with PCI-E power connectors connected and the Asus SLI bridge cable. The BIOS is set to Dual Cards, and the nVidia drivers are set to SLI. Windows XP even says on first boot that the PC is now SLI enabled.

Yet I only get 7750 in 3dMark 05, which is a one card score. Also, in the SLI load balancing in Far Cry or 3dMark, there is no draw line across the centre of the screen, dividing it in two showing the two GPU loads. Only the vertical bar on the side that goes up and down.

I have tried the latest 91.47 drivers and the drivers that came with the cards, nothing.

I have a feeling that there may not be enough power going to both cards. One GPU is 9*C higher than the other, which on a water cooling setup would indicate that one card is doing far more work than the other.

We shall see if the new PSU makes a difference when it arrives this week. Other than that, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

voodoomelon said:
We shall see if the new PSU makes a difference when it arrives this week. Other than that, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Try updating the motherboard drivers (I dunno, I'm still on AGP). I'm not sure if these cards just won't turn on for SLI with if there's not enough power, or if they will turn on and just artifact/crash all over like single cards.

I'm still betting it's a configuration issue and not a power issue, but I'm anxious to see :)

Adak said:
Efficiency does play a part in the power your PSU can deliver, though. Simply because a less efficient PSU must create more heat - and more heat means more resistance to the flow of electricity.

Adak

Just thought i'd clear up the confusion here. Efficiency has absolutely no effect on power output. If you'd read the previous posts with more care you would have figured that out. Just for reiteration, here's the quick and easy.

Power supply efficiency = power output/power draw

So for 70% efficiency on a 500W PSU (at full load), you are looking at a 650 watt draw from the wall.
Or as an equation --> .7 = 500/650

The extra 150W is largely outputed as heat. Effective cooling will not raise the power output of the system. Rather, it will increase the overall efficiency of the unit, as the resistance to electron flow across the bandgap in metals is relative to the temperature of the material. Weather your ambient temperature is 20C or 70C that PSU will still give you 500 watts (assuming it's well assembled and at load). The only difference is what it draws from the wall.

Back