• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap gameing system for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hUMANbEATbOX said:
agree. this would be easier to hit 4ghz on for sure.

And you would need a motherboard that performs better in the FSB department to pull it off. 805D would be a safe bet as far as mhz overclock is conserned but the performance will take a hit.

greenmaji said:
And you would need a motherboard that performs better in the FSB department to pull it off. 805D would be a safe bet as far as mhz overclock is conserned but the performance will take a hit.

IF that asrock board will do 300fsb like some say it does, then that would put the 915 at 4.2ghz. 285fsb would be 4ghz, i think that board can do it. ;)

I don't know what they can do now, but when they first came out the FSB performance was better with C2D's then PentiumD's

fair enough... :)

i'd say its a toss up then...maybe the edge to the 805, cheaper, guaranteed shot at 4ghz, cooling aside.

To me there's no point in going halfway up the performance and price ladder. Either get the cheapest and replace it later or get a C2D.

I was talking about the 915 :rolleyes: Yea those were stealth-launched not long ago, I first saw it on some pricing roadmap Intel released. But they aren't dual-core and start at about $60 shipped and aren't the absolute cheapest anyway but neither is the 805. Would you take one of those over an 805D?

Kind of like choising a low FSB cedarmill vs a low FSB smithfeild :shrug:
Dual core probibly wins out at the price diff.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
IF that asrock board will do 300fsb like some say it does, then that would put the 915 at 4.2ghz. 285fsb would be 4ghz, i think that board can do it. ;)

I will jump in and give a little input on my board. Like everyone else I haven't seen many at all that have touched this board for OCing.

I know for sure that My board hits 300FSB rock solid with C2D. I will try to remember to drop in my cely D tonight and see if a lower default FSB makes any difference on this board or not. I will say though that for phased upgrades this board is a steal of a deal. $50 to be able to go from a Pentium D with DDR and AGP card to a C2D EXXXX and DDR2 ram and PCIe graphics is something that is very unique. I am a very big fan of this board for what it is, so I thought I would drop in and clarify some things as I am not sure if mine is a wonder board for hitting that high of a bus or if its pretty normal.

~jtjuska

Evilsizer said:
http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2006/11/01/20504.html
or wait for fry's to have a e63/64 mobo combo up.
e63/mobo has been $169
e64/mobo has been $189
even at stock these will beat the oced 805d or 915.
the mobo included in these combos are ECS(via chipset) with ddr/ddr2 slots with agp and are matx boards.

If your lucky enough to live near the ~5 cities they do business around.

i might tell him to wait for a mobo combo from frys.

ok this may be dumb but that e63/mobo thats a e6300 allendale with a mobo for $169? if so i'll tell him to grab that when they got a deal like that.

Back