• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6700 on Phase - by Dominick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Thread reserved. Jins Vapo is awesome but my exhaust fan on the unit is not functioning so I am currently having problems with the Vapo holding any heat. Forget about load.

Right off the bat bios are reporting temps of -45*C at 1.4vcore, where my stock vapo only produced -25.5*C.. So the gains are apparent, I am just having some heat issues (i believe with that rear exhaust fan)

I will keep everyone posted.

I will let you know however that the chip booted up right into Windows and passed a few minutes of Spi32m @ 4ghz 1.65vcore. I will post the screenshot:

I hope everything gets figured out tonight.

basic.JPG

UPDATE!!

4.4 Ghz @ 1.65 Vcore .....

4400mhz.JPG

Here are some frosty pics. Unit still not holding load at all... I am trying to get in touch with Jinu.... I tried testing fan outside of the case. It works. Only when plugged into Vapo controls it doesnt work. My next test will be using the vapo with an external rear fan powered by the external PSU....
As you can see. The Vapo produces a frosty -60*C unloaded (with no heat) and -73*C on the LCD. So our vapo LCD is skewed about 13 degrees but it looks cool... lol

I am still very dissapointed right now because for the first 15 minutes of operation everything was great. but after the unit got warm it stopped taking any load at all. Even at stock vcore 1.35 where I sit right now its a -25*C evap LCD and it occasionally starts dropping. Its kind of scary.....

vapocrazy.JPG

UPDATE!!!
FIXED!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Jin. It turns out my rear exhaust fan could have been damaged in shipment. So I simply replaced the fan with a extra 75cfm that I had lying around and bang. She starts working beautifully again....

UPDATE 10:59PM

4.46 Ghz @ 1.65vcore

4460.JPG

First results are not that promising.
Exactly 1.65 vcore - 4.49 Ghz , 1.7vcore at 4.5 Ghz it fails SPi1m:bang head
I really dont know if I feel safe pumping more voltage into it??
Epox and Maji, bios CPU temps @ 1.35vcore = -50*C @ 1.40 vcore = -45*C
1.65vcore = -30*C 1.70vcore = -24*C

4890.JPG

Also something else interesting: Did you ever see a Vapochill LCD get such a cold temperature reading it failed? LOL

Maximum temperature on the Vapo LCD is -73*C, anycolder and it does this:

failing.JPG

Please note: Do not trust the accuracy of the Vapo LCD, at idle the temperatures are from 10 to 15 degrees off.

UPDATE 4:20AM
Did it! Finally broke 4.5 ghz...

4.51 Ghz @ 1.72 vcore

http://strippoli.com/ocforums/4510.JPG

This chip is a clocker ladies and gentleman:
4.56 Ghz @ 1.72 vcore

http://strippoli.com/ocforums/4560.JPG

UPDATE
1.80 vcore

4.62 Ghz, also started to tweak FSB/MCH voltage for the first time to prevent chipset instability. So far, so good.

4610.JPG

UPDATE
I think, besides a little memory tweaking for a 10 second SuperPi1m. My chip has pretty much had it. Will not validate or run Spi1m over 4.65 Ghz.. :bang head I have tried up to 1.85vcore with no success.

1.85 vcore produce CPU idle temps in bios of -10.5*C so I am getting very close to dangerously hot. In windows, load most definitely puts the processor very close to 0*C if not higher. So, I think heat finally got the best of me.

I will continue to try some things but I think 4.65 ghz is the limit.

** 11/2/06
Just a little update for this morning. Tried for a minimum of 7 hour orthos last night @ 4.3 ghz 1.6vcore. Unfortunately, it was too much load to ask of my SS. I put it on before bedtime and shut off the monitor. 45 minutes into "priority 10 ram/cpu testing" in orthos it failed and has been idling on the xp desktop since last night at 4.3 Ghz.

Oh well, I am almost positive that 4.2 Ghz is doable 24/7 on this setup. Thats what will be happening tonight before bedtime. Thanks for everyone who has been helping and following this thread. I appreciate it tremendously.

Dom

Well it wont be official until I get at least 15 hours of stability but I am ceasing this operation for the time being. I would like to try and get some high GHz validation shots.

Here is a dual prime stable 3 hour 4.2Ghz 1.65 vcore screenshot:

4200primestable.JPG

Last edited:
Got a 4.71 Ghz validation screenshot:

4710.JPG

Maximum Spi1m so far is 4.65Ghz. Almost a 10 second slip:

4650.JPG

At 1.65vcore the maximum benchable is around 4.49Ghz. I think the chip is stumped right there until I give it a tad more vcore. But it seems to be scaling well with voltage. I just got another max clock tonight 4.8Ghz which I didnt validate.

Its looking pretty good. I tried a SuperPi1m @ 4.71 GHz and it crashed because of heat. Oh well. I'm working!

Here is just a little example of well Jins unit is holding under EXTREME heat load. My actual vcore voltage was 1.86volts and Jins unit held CPU idle temp to -14*C. Compared to typical single stages that would cringe at this vcore, producing more like -5*C in the bios.

186vcorebios.JPG

I told you guys that my best clocks come in the morning when the ambient temps are the coldest. I finally got my 10 second timeslip. I would like to thank Ross, Gautam, and GreenMaji for helping me out here and through the PM system on breaking the 10 second barrier.

Things I did differently -
1. Re-Installed the Operating System AGAIN
2. Went into boot.ini and set MAXMEM = 256 (kept both cores active because single core had no effect on stability or score, I think it might of hurt stability)
3. Closed Windows Explorer while benching.
4. Set Realtime to SuperPiXSMod (kept affinity on both cores, because I was having problems with score when singling out a core)
5. Ross convinced me to lower TRAS to 8 using windows memset.

6. The most important thing was waking up early in the morning before 6am to get the coldest ambient temps in my room by opening up all my windows. It actually lowered idle CPU temps in the bios to -20*C AT 1.88VCORE, suicide.:mad: The cold air was a huge factor in this mornings bench.

And here is the score:

10secondpi.JPG

After benching for the first time at 4.7GHz I decided to try for a suicide screenshot and validation. First I got 4.8 GHz for the picture, than I tried 4.88GHz and my fingers werent fast enough, I needed a split second more time to save the file. hehe

cpuz4800.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some frosty pics. Unit still not holding load at all... :confused: I am trying to get in touch with Jinu.... I tried testing fan outside of the case. It works. Only when plugged into Vapo controls it doesnt work. My next test will be using the vapo with an external rear fan powered by the external PSU....
As you can see. The Vapo produces a frosty -60*C unloaded (with no heat) and -73*C on the LCD. So our vapo LCD is skewed about 13 degrees but it looks cool... lol

I am still very dissapointed right now because for the first 15 minutes of operation everything was great. but after the unit got warm it stopped taking any load at all. Even at stock vcore 1.35 where I sit right now its a -25*C evap LCD and it occasionally starts dropping. Its kind of scary.....

Attachments

• vapocrazy.JPG
    vapocrazy.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,285
UPDATE!!!
FIXED!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Jin. It turns out my rear exhaust fan could have been damaged in shipment. So I simply replaced the fan with a extra 75cfm that I had lying around and bang. She starts working beautifully again....

Here is my latest clock speed:

Attachments

• 4400mhz.JPG
    4400mhz.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,256
Think I found a max 1.64vcore (1.65 selected bios) CLOCK
I am going to start working on 1.7 vcore. right now.

Last edited:
First results are not that promising.
Exactly 1.65 vcore - 4.49 Ghz , 1.70vcore at 4.5 Ghz it fails SPi1m:bang head
I really dont know if I feel safe pumping more voltage into it??

4890.JPG

Last edited:
Epox and Maji, thanks guys! :) bios CPU temps @

1.35vcore 3.0ghz = -50*C
1.40 vcore 3.4 Ghz = -45*C
1.65vcore 4.0 ghz = -30*C
1.70vcore 4.0 ghz = -24*C

1.72vcore 4.0 ghz = -22*C

Do you think more than 1.70 volts is doable on this rig Epox? I know you pushed yours to 1.9, but I dunno man. Its a lot of dough to be playing around with you know? lol

Last edited:
Look carefully pre-testing. I had so much dialetric grease in and around the socket it cookied out the side: :santa:

dialetric.JPG

Do you guys recommend dousing the rest of the capacitors around the processor with grease?

Also something else interesting: Did you ever see a Vapochill LCD get such a cold temperature reading it failed?

Maximum temperature on the Vapo LCD is -73*C, anycolder and it does this:

failing.JPG

Please note: Do not trust the accuracy of the Vapo LCD, at idle the temperatures are from 10 to 15 degrees off.

UnrealAlex said:
Thats pretty good. Sorry maybe I'm stupid, but whats the point of clocking it that high? Arent you just significantly cutting it's life span?

Because this is what we do here on "OCForums.com"....

Thanks for the props.

Back