• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a soldering solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godofgorks

Well I like to dabble in soldering from time to time, and so far my $9.99 Radioshack special, a 15w grounded pen, has been up to the task.

However, I recently started modding a PSU, mainly removing legacy connectors, so I picked up another $9.99 Radioshack special, a 40w Desoldering Pen/Bulb. After attempting to remove some of the wires I realized the heat was being disspated into the wires quickly, and the solder never reached it's melting point.

Therefore I feel it it time to step up to a decent soldering solution for my needs. I will pick up a solder sucker, so I only inquire about a soldering pen/station capable of my needs.

Needs:
1. Enough punch to heat large globs of solder with several (many*) wires to melting point before heat can be dissipated.

*Each hole in the PCB has 4 wires through, and one section has 6 holes sonnected in a single massive glob. 24 wires total!

2. PRICE < ~$55 (little flex in there)

Wants:
1. Solder station > Pen.
2. Your Opinions Here

So, soldering gurus, thrust your knowledge and experience unto me, and persuade me into which solution is sufficient to accomplish my dirty deeds.

That is all for now, Thanks!

As a future electronic engineer I would suggest getting a good one, esspecialy If your using it to modify sensitive parts etc.

I personaly use the Weller WES51 variable wattage isolated soldering station.
It goes roughly from 350*F to 850*C give or take a bit. Its great for manny applications. Heat can be turned way up for large application and down low to just above the solder melting point for sensitive components.
I bought it at $150 2 years ago. It is the best iron I have ever used. All you need other than that is a small desoldering vacuum tool that can be putchased for $10 or some de-soldering wick that can be purchased for around $5. Most of the irons lower than $70 are crap if your serious about the stuff your working on. But to each is own. I highly recomend you look into this one though.

Oh and definately do not use cold heat for computer components as the eddy current osscilations etc can dammage components those things are crap.

Yah I can testify that those wellers are decent. USed at least a dozen of them with no problem.. I cant think of the other name we use at work but that was a dual iron solution anyway. (Which was great if you need to switch between tips and spades frequently but prolly too expensive for residential use)

I was in a similar situation a year ago or so, and I finally chose the Weller WES51. It has been a great too for me, and I figure it'll probably (assuming I maintain it) be the last iron I ever buy.

Good luck.
- Jim

ThePCGuy said:
I was in a similar situation a year ago or so, and I finally chose the Weller WES51. It has been a great too for me, and I figure it'll probably (assuming I maintain it) be the last iron I ever buy.

Good luck.
- Jim
Yeah Ive had mine for 3 years and Im still using the original tip, and I use it every day. I could probably use a new tip through its gettin pretty worn out with all the soldering I do.

Thanks for all your input, pointed me towards some other options I didn't see before. Now I'll have to decide what I what will really fullfill my need and what I can afford.

Thanks
-gog

four4875, that's a really nice soldering gun.

How does it handle electronics? I'm interested in getting one of my own for some projects, as long as it does a good job for a decent price, I'm interested.

7, its the only iron i use any more. well when i can get away with it, i ended up takin it to work caus i do more work there than i do at home, and its done things from soldering surface mount caps on to riggin wires together, stuff big to small. well it dont like the real big stuff, like tryin to take the wires offa power supply.

Back