what is north bridge and south bridge?

what is north bridge and south bridge?
    what do they do?
    how they effect the performance of motherboard?

Senior Lawyer-clocker flounder43's Avatar
    The northbridge/southbridge are the chips that control the input and output to and from the processor. They are the most important part when determining a motherboards performance. Also called, the "chipset".

This might explain some other details...
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/guides/c...lon/tbird3.htm

Senior Lawyer-clocker flounder43's Avatar
    Here's a diagram I got somewhere:

the bridges is actually the chipset?
    well i know what is chipset, although doesn't really understand how it works
    ok then what's the different between the north and south bridge?

Inactive Pokémon Moderator JigPu's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    To my knowledge, the only diffrence between the north and south bridge are what they are connected to. If you notice, the northbridge has the AGP and the RAM and the southbridge has pretty much everything else. I believe that they seperated the two from each other because the northbridge makes more heat, and will cause a less stable system.

JigPu
    .... ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    .... Intel Core i5 2500 ........................ 4 thread ...... 3300 MHz ......... -0.125 V
    2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti ............................... 1 GiB ....... 830 MHz ...... 2004 MHz
    .... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
    .... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
    .... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
    .... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
    "GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.