Thread: Memory Test

Memory Test

I am doing a memory test on a Dell. It has two 128 DDR sticks of ram. I am using Ultimate Boot CD 2.4 for my test. On the first test it took over 4 hours with no errors. I decided to try testing one stick of ram at a time. Each test was over three hours with no errors. I cannot believe a RAM test could be over three hours.

I then thought it the Processor could be bad.( Pentium 4 ). So I swaped out the processor and then went back and ran another RAM test only to get the same results.

Funny how a RAM test can be over three hours.. Very slugish and slow and yet produce no errors..

Anyone with any advice ?
    "Onward Through The Fog" !!:p

MSI - K8NGM2-MB,, AMD-64-3000+ (1.81 GHz) ,, 1-gig - (2)-512 MB RAM,, MAXTOR- STA - 7200-RPM- 80 GIG HD. CASE -XKROMA - ATX -Crome - 500 watt - PSU -SAPPHIRE Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card. ( Folding Team 32 ):thup:

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by madwizard
    I am doing a memory test on a Dell. It has two 128 DDR sticks of ram. I am using Ultimate Boot CD 2.4 for my test. On the first test it took over 4 hours with no errors. I decided to try testing one stick of ram at a time. Each test was over three hours with no errors. I cannot believe a RAM test could be over three hours.

I then thought it the Processor could be bad.( Pentium 4 ). So I swaped out the processor and then went back and ran another RAM test only to get the same results.

Funny how a RAM test can be over three hours.. Very slugish and slow and yet produce no errors..

Anyone with any advice ?

What is the problem with the machine?

Memtest86 can take ages to complete because it does lots of different tests. I have seen it take hours before.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Memory Test

The computer runs like it has only 64 Mb. RAM. It has Windows\xp.. Even after three hours of RAM test it has not gone through one pass. I have tested quite a few sticks of RAM and never had to wait over three hours for it to complete one pass.
    "Onward Through The Fog" !!:p

MSI - K8NGM2-MB,, AMD-64-3000+ (1.81 GHz) ,, 1-gig - (2)-512 MB RAM,, MAXTOR- STA - 7200-RPM- 80 GIG HD. CASE -XKROMA - ATX -Crome - 500 watt - PSU -SAPPHIRE Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card. ( Folding Team 32 ):thup:

Heatware Profile
    Some tests are very intensive. that could be the issue here.
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    2 x 4GB g.skill Sniper 1866
    Gigabyte GTX770 Windforce

Ever heard of Google? Try their fantastic "Search" option!
    "A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." --- Herm Albright