• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about flags and WUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaciFIST69

Hey, I'm new to folding and I've got a question about the most efficient way to get points. I've seen a couple of different guides explaining the -advmethods flag. One says that it should be used on processors greater than 2 ghz. Another says that it is less efficient for AMD processors. Should I include this flag for the comp in my sig or not? Also, once I get the hang of this, I'd like to borg some comps at my school which are P4 w/ HT and Pentium D all with 1gb ram. Should I use the flag for those comps or not and should I use bigpackets=yes ?

Thanks in advance!

ATM the best points production is without the -advmethods flag with bigpackets=yes. The -advmethods flag simply tells the Assignment server you are willing to accept public beta WUs. Most regular WUs regardless of core type fold at close to the same ppd/GHz on Intel rigs (the benchmark machine is a p4C 2.8). WU production on AMD machines varies from one core type to another. It is total BS to say -advmethods is less efficient on AMD rigs. It depends on which WUs being served to -advmethods machines. Currently the best producing WUs on AMD machines are p1495 and p1497 which are only going out to -adv rigs. However, there has been a severe shortage of these WUs hence my recommendation to run without it. It is a flag you'll routinely change once you are fully assimil....addicted to folding and seeking maximum production.

Back