• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket Northbridge Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ-5

Does anyone know what aftermarket cooler that I can use to replace the stock NB cooler with on a p5w dh deluxe MB? The board is currently air cooled.

I'd like to know my options from some of you that have had experience with replacing the stock cooler from this board.

The MB only has 2 clips for mounting the stock heat pipe cooler with a diagonal spring clip type of mount not 4 clips or holes as I had expected.

Thanks

Do you really need better cooling? Is there some stability problems? Before buying anything I would do this:

1. Remove the ASUS plates which obstruct the airflow in NB heatsink.
2. Remove the heatsink and verify that it is propery mounted and has proper amount of thermal paste.

But if everything works stable there is no need to replace the heatsink at all.

Paapaa said:
Do you really need better cooling? Is there some stability problems? Before buying anything I would do this:

1. Remove the ASUS plates which obstruct the airflow in NB heatsink.
2. Remove the heatsink and verify that it is propery mounted and has proper amount of thermal paste.

But if everything works stable there is no need to replace the heatsink at all.

I BEG TO DIFFER!

Even if everything works stable, replacing the heatsink can be a fun, educational, learning experience! Besides, no one really wants stock cooling. I mean how awesome is that? Not very.

Now, I have never had experience with the P5W DH Deluxe, though I have heard of people using this one
and having good results.

CJ-5 said:
Does anyone know what aftermarket cooler that I can use to replace the stock NB cooler with on a p5w dh deluxe MB? The board is currently air cooled.

I'd like to know my options from some of you that have had experience with replacing the stock cooler from this board.

The MB only has 2 clips for mounting the stock heat pipe cooler with a diagonal spring clip type of mount not 4 clips or holes as I had expected.

Thanks

A Microcool Northpole XE is just as as a Swiftech 159CU, and its lighter at 6.3 ounces (with fan) compared the the Swiftech at 7.9 ounces (with fan). If I was going to upgrade and only have two rings to affix the Northbridge, the Northpole is a better option as the mounting mechanism is better and more secure when using two rings like on your 975X chipset.

Here's the installation guide for Intel Chipsets, you can see why it may be more secure when using two rings and one clip.

Here's the Swiftech 159CU, you could use just two of the four clips, but it may not be as secure since this is a fairly heavy chipset cooler, when you use all four rings and both clips, it's secure.
This Heatsink with fan is 7.9 ounces, this might be a little to heavy for using just two rings and one clip.

My advise is to get the Northpole XE in your situation if you decide you want to upgrade coolers.

PS, The Thermalright is also a good option as others have mentioned.

People buy new stuff constantly because they imagine they need fancy and expensive stuff that is in most cases totally useless. They do it because someone says: "H3y, $t0cK c00l!ng suxx, buy [insert your favourite brand] c0z it pwnz".;-)

But, everyone is free to spend their money as they like. I want to repeat that the stock cooling in P5W DH Deluxe is very good and should be enough with quite a high overclock. Just follow these instructions to clean and reinstall the stock cooling without the name plates:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

For example, the author of the article seems to run P5B Deluxe with stock NB cooling at 8x450. I'm sure a higher FSB can be achieved with stock cooling.

If you still decide to go for another heatsink, please do me a favour and reinstall the stock cooler first (for practice) and then install the new HS. I'd like to see the difference between properly reinstalled stock cooler and porperly installed 3rd party cooler.

Paapaa said:
I want to repeat that the stock cooling in P5W DH Deluxe is very good and should be enough with quite a high overclock. .

When I looked at a picture of his motherboards northbridge heatsink, it did appear to be a better than average heatpipe heatsink. I have to agree with your assessment, but if he decides to change it, it's always good to give him information to make an informed decision.

Pic of the stock heatsink thats on a P5W DH Deluxe

1198_l.jpg

I would go with the HR-05 is you decide to upgrade the NB cooler.

However the stock one ussually does fairly well. I would reccomend what Paapaa said just take the plate off and replace the stock thermal junk with something good and see what happens.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.:)

I agree, I should reseat the stock heatsink, again, to see if it makes a difference.

Come to think of it, the only time the temperatures seemed to be realistic was when I first got the board. When OCd to 3 GHz with an ambient temp of 70F the cpu was about 55 or 56 C and the MB was 44 or 45 C. The cpu was running at 100% capacity folding proteins for Team 32.

Right now the rig is not overclocked and the ambient temp is 50 F or 10 C. The cpu is showing 18 C and the MB is 35 C. Obviously, something is not right and I should reseat the NB heatsink. I just hate to shut down and do it since it's folding two 600 pt proteins and I need the points to keep ahead of my rival AlabamaCajun.

The main reason that I asked about a different heatsink is because I was thinking of putting the MB into my Lian Li case (watercooled) which would turn the stock NB heat pipe upside down and render is useless. I tried using the Swiftech water cooled NB heatsink but it was just too heavy especially with the water hoses hanging on it. Should I put it back into the Lian Li case I would replace and therefore reseat the NB heatsink all at the same time. This would keep my down time to a minimum.

Last edited:
Jod said:

I'm doing a review slash install on my a8n sli dlx not the same board but using the jing ting

here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=485389

But if you would like to cool both chipsets just order a extra heat sink and accessary from from asus from there on line store.

here:
heatsink - http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2534&catid=131
Accessary fan - http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=232&catid=131

Remove both heatsinks. Then install the new heatsink were the old one used to be next to the CPU socket. Mount the accessary fan over that heat sink. Then purchase two active cooler that you prefer to run or the ones that will fit around your components and mount them over the remaining chipsets. You will most likely loose your warrenty but thats one way to cool the chipsets.

Now i haven't done this yet, but i did pick up a asus a8n32 sli dlx board and it is similar to yours. It looks like my idea would work. measured the two heatsinks and they both are the same.

What do you guys think? yes or no?

I'm using the Swiftech MCX159-Cu on my P5W DH Dlx with no problems, using just 2 hooks on the 2 mobo loops. I've never seen nb temps go over 41-42 C even when I had it cranked up to 400 fsb with my E6600 and folding with 2 clients. The weight of it doesn't seem to be any problem. The reason I went with it over the stock heatpipe is that I have a Silverstone TJ06B case, which mounts the mobo upside down and it just didn't look kosher to run a heatpipe upside down to me. I never even booted up with the stock heatpipe nb cooler in the case, so I can't tell you if having the heatpipe upside down would work properly or not in that configuration. I do remember reading that some of Asus's earlier boards that used a heatpipe on the nb had heat problems when mounted upside down though.

Not to threadjack, but is it alright just to unplug the stock fan?

I've been running my dfi ultra-d like that for awhile.

Be sure to take something good, because the stock heatsink looks beefy...

Not to threadjack, but is it alright just to unplug the stock fan?

I've been running my dfi ultra-d like that for awhile.

I'd say no to that, because the heatsink was not designed for fanless operation. Your choice, but I'd change it if you want silence

redrumy3 said:
i use this on my dfi lanparty

http://www.svc.com/hr-05-sli.html

alot of ppl use this one as well

http://www.svc.com/hr-05.html

i run it passive and its great

I use the SLi version and love it. Dead silent (no fan) and cools great. But looking at the stock cooling of the P5W DH, it looks like it may be almost as good. Half the time the only reason to upgrade the NB cooler is for silence, but I guess these new Intel NB's run a little warmer.

Well this P5B deluxe NB gets hot, while the fins up top are only warm. If I can't get the Jing to fit, I'll put a Thermie on there. They're prettier IMO too. :p

silent bob said:
I would go with the 159 or even the NB1c if you can find it http://www.case-mod.com/store/thermalright-nb1c-copper-chipset-cooler-with-fan-p-1137.html
I have only found it over the pond UK area . I own one and all I can say is hands down the best NB heatsink ever. second is the 159Cu .
I dont do anything but copper .
The plain NB1 works fine for me. It was quick, and simple to install. Granted, it needed a good lapping (I used it to file down a finger nail :santa: ) It was also extreemly simple to modify when I moved my 6800U to watercooling.

Back