• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Too Late To Go Sk939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AngelfireUk83 said:
Well the DFI Ultra D board on overclockers.co.uk says it comes with the SLI bridge connector so the board must be able to be modded. When it does get modded does it mean that SLi with use both slots as 16x or 8x.
With the SLI bridge, both slots would be 8x, but this will provide plenty of bandwidth for both cards.

Cheers for that

I've looked at them guides that Reefa_Madness put up and it seems to be easy but I don't want to buy a board and try to mod something that I've never done before. In fact I have never tried to mod any peice of hardware basically.

1) You have to take off the heatsink to the nforce chip.
2) find the 2 spots with black stuff on it
3) Scrape them off not too much to damage the chip
4) rubb some pencil marks over them (what for I don't know).
5) re-attach heatsink/fan (if there is a fan also would it best to rubb off old paste and put some artic silver 5 there?)
6) Check BIOS to see if that 6600GT option is there
&) If it is enable the SLi jumpers and run windows and install SLi driver or switch to SLi mode.

Is that right or wrong like I said I don't want to pay £65 and stuff it up cause it isn't a spare £65 I can just say oh well too.

I know nothing about this mob specficaly but rubbing the pencil makes a connection between the 2 pins in this case it seams like it lets you run sli .

Last edited:
One fact about modding DFI Lanparty NF4 motherboards...

A MONKEY COULD DO IT!!!!

a) Absolutely EVERY SINGLE DFI LANPARTY NF4 Motherboard is SLI capable (some need to be modded).

b) Currently only those with "SLI" in their names include the SLI Bridge. So check again, I doubt they have anything in storage for a couple of years. DFI stopped including bridges on Ultras about 18 months ago.

c) I do NOT have a Lanparty "ultra-D" I only have a Lanparty "D". The diference is that mine can be modded to SATA 2 as well as to SLI (Ultra D includes SATA 2). Both mods are done with a PENCIL and they work.

d) Mine doesn't have a 2nd Gigabit Port. Didn't know that when i bought it.

e) The newer version of ultra has a some black dot of "crap" on top of the "SLI activators" in the chipset. Just remove it with a razor or a very sharp knife. Just take your time and slowly rub it until you reach the actual chip. No need to rush, if you are really scared of damaging something take an hour or two removing the epoxi (it can be done in less than 5 mins but you can take 2 hours doing it if you like).

f) DFI lanparties rock... first time EVER overclocking and in a week i got my 3000+ venice to 2.574 GHz on air (43% increase), fully stable I still don't know much about timings and my room temperature is like 40ºC (105ºF). That board is just amazing. I left all the memory timing on auto and went straight ahead for the multiplier/divider/HTT. I'm sure i can get like 2.8 Ghz if i go and take more time but I'm 15 hours a day away from home between work, gym and other shores, so I spend most my time playing instead of overclocking.

Last but not least:
I'm planning to upgrade to an used 4400+ X2, used 8800 GTS or similar and a 2nd gig of ram next year. An upgrade that will probably cost me less than 500$ and will break into pieces anything I could buy now and leave the rest of my money on a premium laptop like the Dell M2010 (¿laptop with wireless keyboard? awesome)

harlam357 said:
One word... NO. 939 is still very much alive (unlike 754). :

I agree. The AM2 chips are basicly 939 A64's with DDR2 support. And from what I have read, the DDR2 advantage does not kick in until you get into the higher speeds. I have a 939 venice core 3500+ (OC'd to 2.6Ghz) and it's been a great cpu. The AM2 chips are dropping in price now and it will get harder to find the 939 chips. DDR2 is also somewhat expensive right now compared to DDR. The 939's from a performance viewpoint are far from dead. If I already had a 939 system I would simply upgrade to a faster 939 cpu, but if you have a 754 or P3/4 system, I would go for a AM2, just because that is where the market has headed.

Back