• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Too Late To Go Sk939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I was wondering to save money would be too late just to go SK939 from Sk-A just that I have seen the DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D motherboard for £65. And it's got some pretty impressive features and supports SLI X16 I was also looking at the AMD X2 4600+ which is £140.

I could use my DDR1 memory and sell the rest then upgrade to 2GB later on my brother is in need of a better PC. He currently has a Athlon XP 2400+ but his ASROCK board is really old and dosn't support AGP8X, 3GB DDR memory, SATA150 or Dual Channel where as mine does.

Really it depends on your sitution.. if you plan to keep the system for 3+ years then go 939 and save a few bucks.. but if you plan to upgrade over time then go AM2.. I just recently upgraded from socket 478 to a 754 AMD 64 just to get the use of a PCI E slot so I can game for a couple more years since dual core isnt required as of yet for anything.

As long as you know what you are getting, I don't see anything wrong with it. 939 allows you to use DDR RAM you already have and prices for CPUs and mobos are very attractive.

BTW, the Ultra-D does not support SLI out of the box. You need to do a mod on the board to get SLI.

I think if buying used you can save HUGE on 939 parts and have a nice performance rig. As far as new the 939 and am2 stuff pretty much costs the same, the mobos are a little more when you start getting into higher end ones.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Really it depends on your sitution.. if you plan to keep the system for 3+ years then go 939 and save a few bucks.. but if you plan to upgrade over time then go AM2.. I just recently upgraded from socket 478 to a 754 AMD 64 just to get the use of a PCI E slot so I can game for a couple more years since dual core isnt required as of yet for anything.
That statement is not true, many games take advantage of Dual Core now. As well as numerous apps. Dont creat false information in your own head to make yourself feel better becuase you cant afford something or just dont have it yet... Im not trying to be mean, Im just saying dont give false information that you creat yourself. I can say for a fact that in a couple years you wont be able to play anything with a single core, you will need at least a Dual Core if not a Quad Core if they are the norm by then, wich by gauging how fast Dual Core came to be the norm, Quad Core will probably be pretty normal in a year or so.

AC3421 said:
I can say for a fact that in a couple years you wont be able to play anything with a single core, you will need at least a Dual Core if not a Quad Core if they are the norm by then, wich by gauging how fast Dual Core came to be the norm, Quad Core will probably be pretty normal in a year or so.
It's a fact, eh? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Most people don't upgrade their PCs as often as the enthusiasts on these forums. There will still be *plenty* of people using single-core CPUs 2 years from now, and game developers aren't going to ignore people using older hardware. SeasonalEclipse's statement is perfectly correct: "dual core isn't required as of yet for anything". Tell me what games I can't play or applications that won't work with my single core CPU.

KillrBuckeye said:
It's a fact, eh? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Most people don't upgrade their PCs as often as the enthusiasts on these forums. There will still be *plenty* of people using single-core CPUs 2 years from now, and game developers aren't going to ignore people using older hardware. SeasonalEclipse's statement is perfectly correct: "dual core isn't required as of yet for anything". Tell me what games I can't play or applications that won't work with my single core CPU.

Sure. Of course someone else who doesnt have a Dual Core responds with the same attitude. You just want to believe this to make yourself feel better. maybe for the next 6 months Dual Cores wont be urgently needed to play games, etc. (except for Crysis) but to say in 2 years a single core will still cut it is just denial. Sorry man.:)

The fact of it is that most computers are becoming dual core as it is. Right now there's only a handful of sempron and celeron desktops, with one or two Athlon 64s and one P4 at the Worst Buy I work at.

AC3421 said:
That statement is not true, many games take advantage of Dual Core now. As well as numerous apps. Dont creat false information in your own head to make yourself feel better becuase you cant afford something or just dont have it yet... Im not trying to be mean, Im just saying dont give false information that you creat yourself. I can say for a fact that in a couple years you wont be able to play anything with a single core, you will need at least a Dual Core if not a Quad Core if they are the norm by then, wich by gauging how fast Dual Core came to be the norm, Quad Core will probably be pretty normal in a year or so.

Hey bro, before you go slamming your opinion around, try looking carefully at the wording. He said "REQUIRED". He's right, nothing requires dual core processors right now. do some programs benefit from it? Sure! But none require it.

And how the hell can you go around saying you know for a fact that games in a couple years won't be playable on single core??? Do you work for EA? Are you a MS dev?

I tend to actually agree with a lot of the assertions you make, but do realize you just flamed a guy for giving "false information" when you JUST did the same thing yourself.

There is absolutely no doubt that multi core processors will be the only upgrade paths in the future. There is no doubt that games and many everyday apps will strongly benefit from the use of the extra cores. But it is pretty far fetched to say that a single core cpu will be useless in the near future.

AC3421 said:
Sure. Of course someone else who doesnt have a Dual Core responds with the same attitude. You just want to believe this to make yourself feel better. maybe for the next 6 months Dual Cores wont be urgently needed to play games, etc. (except for Crysis) but to say in 2 years a single core will still cut it is just denial. Sorry man.:)
Thanks for the psychological assessment :rolleyes: . FYI: I plan to upgrade to a DC CPU before the end of the year, but not because I feel that I'll NEED it soon. I just hope you're here two years from now to eat some crow when people are playing the latest games with their single-core Opterons. Sure, they probably won't have the graphics cranked and the physics turned up, but I fully expect a single-core CPU to allow one to play a game with reasonable settings.

Game developers simply don't create software that can only run with the latest hardware. They program in some flexibility, i.e. a range of resolution and quality settings that work well with a wide range of hardware configurations. How else can you explain the fact that there are people running some of the latest releases with video cards that were introduced almost 3 years ago?

KillrBuckeye said:
Thanks for the psychological assessment :rolleyes: . FYI: I plan to upgrade to a DC CPU before the end of the year, but not because I feel that I'll NEED it soon. I just hope you're here two years from now to eat some crow when people are playing the latest games with their single-core Opterons. Sure, they probably won't have the graphics cranked and the physics turned up, but I fully expect a single-core CPU to allow one to play a game with reasonable settings.

Game developers simply don't create software that can only run with the latest hardware. They program in some flexibility, i.e. a range of resolution and quality settings that work well with a wide range of hardware configurations. How else can you explain the fact that there are people running some of the latest releases with video cards that were introduced almost 3 years ago?

This is true, but I believe in running things at there full potential, i.e. what the game/App was meant for.

AC3421 said:

I could just as easily write the inverse of this quote and your previous posts and apply it to dual-core ;)

AC3421 said:
This is true, but I believe in running things at there full potential, i.e. what the game/App was meant for.

No doubt man, same here. that being said, the market is in a state of extreme flux right now. Within a year the industry production standard will be dual/quad core, ddr3, dx10, and all of it will be based around new cpu marchitecture. Considering that, it would be at best expensive and at worst naively dim witted to upgrade every time a new technology surfaced.

in the same spectrum, it would be unwise for game developers to require completely new hardware for their new software because only a select few could buy it. But you already know that i'm sure, i'm just reiterating a point.

MadMan007 said:
I could just as easily write the inverse of this quote and your previous posts and apply it to dual-core ;)

Awesome point man. in six months or whenever dual core becomes normalized in software, the people who upgrade then will have great hardware and will have it when they need it.

I'm just getting tired of seeing borderline flame posts with harsh tones where people dump on other's choices. It's one thing to disagree in a reasonable tone or make differing points in a civilized manner but another to rant and insult people.

It's funny to watch someone write a strongly-toned post about a hardware choice, then look at their signature and lo and behold guess what hardware they have? I honestly do think it's partly to make themself feel good about what they have, justify their own purchase decision and so on. But those things don't always apply to someone else seeking advice or input.

I'm still using s939 even though I had planned to have a Conroe by now. The value is just undeniable. It's a great platform and will do just fine for anything you throw at it.

Not to mention that you're in the UK, where you poor guys get raped by hardware prices. Get yourself a cheap 3700+, OC it to 3ghz+, and enjoy it for the next year or 2, when you can buy a dual core (used by then, if you stick with s939) for less than you pay for the 3700+ today.

A single core will still play 99% of the games you can buy within the next 3 years. You might have to reduce some settings but it will work.

AC3421 said:
Take advantage yes, but require it? No.. Put on some reading glasses please next time you read my posts. THANKS!

Back