• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTX cards recalled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4253

"We have received news that all the 8800GTX cards out in the channel are being recalled due to manufacturing defect. We heard it is probably due to a resistor controlling 2D/3D switching and that leads to 3D corruption. However, the defect doesn't affect the 8800GTS cards. This issue probably could delay the launch, if not, there could be no availability of 8800GTX cards at launch but just GTS."

Update #1 : No affect on launch date as yet
Update #2 : NVIDIA will handle the necessary hardware changes (changing of resistors)
Update #3 : Only some 8800GTX cards are affected due to wrong resistor value by a contract manufacturer but to be safe, all the card makers are recalling their cards

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wait a min there is hope!

Update #1 : No affect on launch date as yet
Update #2 : NVIDIA will handle the necessary hardware changes (changing of resistors)
Update #3 : Only some 8800GTX cards are affected due to wrong resistor value by a contract manufacturer but to be safe, all the card makers are recalling their cards

I wondered this but didn't think it deserved its own thread:

Can anyone tell me what the planned release date is? All I had heard was 'November'. Or does no one know exactly?

The planned release date is november 8th which hopefully this had gotten fixed and there will be some GTXs out otherwise you will be able to get GTSs but not GTX until about the end of novemember probably

A FW member posted Ewiz having the 8800GTX already on the website .. (confirmed) . BUT , as of an hour ago its been pulled off the site ... wierd . BTW , the price changed like three times too ; all of which kept going higher . End price was $650 :(

This is why we wait for the cards to actually be in the channel to get them. Unless your a reviewer and they lend you a card, I'll let someone else make a $700 mistake. At least NV recognized and took measures quickly instead of just letting them go and saying whoops later down the line.. like hey a contractor messed up, we didn't know blame them.

That and by then the regular makers may stray a bit from the reference design giving you a bit of a selection. The 1st ones out are all identical really asside from a sticker.

Anjow said:
Fortunately any delay wouldn't affect me since Santa will be bringing me mine :D

Boy Santa's Elves are sure talented. When I was a kid all they could ever make me was socks.

Back