• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newegg does refund upon price change before package arrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I ordered Neverwinter Nights 2 from newegg.com on Friday, and it was $46.9 + $5.6 shipping fee.

When I checked it on Sunday which was 2 days later, my package was still at newegg, and the price of the same item had dropped to $44.9 + FREE shipping as weekend sale

So I was thinking that "err I paid extra $7.6 than everyone who ordered 2 days after me, and they'd get the package just as early as me".

I emailed newegg and wasn't really expecting anything but telling them how "unlucky" I was,

my email was
hey,

I just ordered this item on Friday for $46.9 + $5.6 something shipping fee

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832198011

and you guys changed it to $44.9 with Free shipping, now whoever ordered this item 2 days after me would get the item the same day as me while paid $7.6 less than me?

What a rip off lol...

I did not expect them would email me back with this
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Considering of your situation, we will refund the $7.6 price difference to your credit card when the package has been delivered because the price changed when you have not received the package. Please reply to this email once you have received the package and we can further assist you.

Last edited:
Well dam.. if i knew it was gonna be $44 at newegg i wouldnt have gotten it for $49 from d2d...

CGR said:
Well dam.. if i knew it was gonna be $44 at newegg i wouldnt have gotten it for $49 from d2d...

That $44.9 + free shipping was only a weekend sale. I see the price had changed back to $46.9 + $5.64 shipping on Monday. That's a $7.6 saving if you buy during weekend. Go buy yourself some candy. :p

I did not expect they changed price back on Monday either, now to think about it, I ripped them off.

Last edited:
Nah you got a fair deal. I would consider any sale made Friday-Sunday the weekend because they would all ship on Monday. Newegg did good.

I did this a while back when I bought some gskill 2gb ddr500 ram for $245 it went down to $225 and I called them, I was refunded $20.'

This memory went all the way down to $170 at one point !! then went up to $300...

Rattle said:
I did this a while back when I bought some gskill 2gb ddr500 ram for $245 it went down to $225 and I called them, I was refunded $20.'

This memory went all the way down to $170 at one point !! then went up to $300...

lol yep i got it when it was cheap 170

omg I was building alot of amd 64 rigs and I was getting that kit left and right for people, I actually ordered them ahead of time when they went down so much... still makes me mad I paid $245 err $225 for them though.

Now thats customer service. I'll bet #18 remembers this kind of thing for awhile, and while it probably wouldn't stop someone for getting a fantastic deal at ZZM or tankguys vs. newegg, if the price is about the same I'd imagine #18 will be pulling the trigger at the egg.

Way to go egg.

PS- Once (and if) Monarch gets its stuff back together, doing this when a client asks could build some new customer bridges.

New egg does not cover everything under the price drop. I imagine this due to an item that was shipped direct from the manufacturer. Below is the response I got when I requested a $100 refund on the $1300 3d printer.

Thank you for holding. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. Upon checking into this, I show that this item is not covered under the Iron Egg Price Guarantee so we are not able to honor the price match for it. Our prices are constantly changing mainly due to the nature of the industry. In fact, computer parts and electronics tend to change quite often in price so we are unable to honor expired or past prices. I highly recommend that you take advantage of the “Price Alert” button on the item page. Newegg has the option called “Price Alert”, which you enter in your information (i.e. email address) and the maximum price you would pay for this item. If the price of this item reaches the one that you have entered. You will be emailed an alert of the reduced price on the requested item.

PS.. I know this thread is really old... but it comes up #2 on my Google search, So I figured I would post this here for any new searches and save them some time.

had kinda same thing, i got a gtx780 when the price dropped when the 970/980s came out for 480$, two days later it dropped to 380$, messaged newegg and got the difference.

New egg does not cover everything under the price drop. I imagine this due to an item that was shipped direct from the manufacturer. Below is the response I got when I requested a $100 refund on the $1300 3d printer.

Thank you for holding. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. Upon checking into this, I show that this item is not covered under the Iron Egg Price Guarantee so we are not able to honor the price match for it. Our prices are constantly changing mainly due to the nature of the industry. In fact, computer parts and electronics tend to change quite often in price so we are unable to honor expired or past prices. I highly recommend that you take advantage of the “Price Alert” button on the item page. Newegg has the option called “Price Alert”, which you enter in your information (i.e. email address) and the maximum price you would pay for this item. If the price of this item reaches the one that you have entered. You will be emailed an alert of the reduced price on the requested item.

PS.. I know this thread is really old... but it comes up #2 on my Google search, So I figured I would post this here for any new searches and save them some time.
dat Necro!

From the sound of your rep's response, it seems like you tried to get a refund for a price that you missed out on before you made your purchase. (Ie, it was $1200 two weeks ago, you paid $1300 last week, and wanted the difference refunded).

Back