• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't seem to get Kubuntu to boot or install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight_of_knee

I downloaded the latest version of Kubuntu and burned it to a cd. I am wanting to install it on my Acer TravelMate 4400 and I set 20 gigs of free space so that I can dual boot Kubuntu and Windows XP. Whenever I tried to load up Kubuntu it started up very slow and then my monitor just went screen just went black and so I turned my computer off and tried to do it again and I got the same result.

Did you burn the cd at a slow speed, and check the md5sum? Have you tried in nonframebuffer mode, if available?

My TM4400 does the same. I think it is a driver issue, especialyl since our lappy is like 100% ati based. Try plugging it into a monitor and try again. I will try it as well when i find the time

Alright thanks I'll try it on a seperate monitor later today. I tried the bootparameters and it didn't work. I thought it was because the ati drivers too but I wasn't sure.

what release of kubuntu? 6.06 or 6.10 ?

i had problems with 6.10 Edgy so installed 6.06 instead no problem.

6.06 seems to run better than 6.10 on the TM4400. This was Ubuntu but its the same thing really. Surprisingly, I booted up 6.06 DVD with no issues ore need for special command (which is odd, as the production CDs don't do that). I installed 6.06, and everything but the built in Wireless seemed to work. I could not for the life of me though get it to work. I tried many guides surrounding this laptop but none worked at all.

I figured I would try 6.10 and it was even worse, IMO. It would freeze every now and again on boot, where as 6.06 wasn't bad at all.

I suspect that, unless ATI releases some better drivers for this chipset and card for linux, we won't be installing linux anytime soon on this thing. Iwill try Debian over the holidays though.

Back