• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5LD2 Rev 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chizzer

Hey Guys,

New to the board and had a few questions about oc'in and what not... I am using the Pentium D 945 Processor and was using the Asus P5P800-Se I think it was brain fart lol, anyway I could OC to 3.9ghz from 3.4ghz using crappy ddr 266 ram... and would run fine... I opted to take that board back and went with the P5LD2 and went with OCZ GoLD EL XTC 1 gig ram timmings are 4-4-4-12... I can't oc this thing worth crap... I get 3.74 tops at PC2 5700 and that's it.. anything else just doesn't post boot...What exactly is needed other then the typical cooling... Btw when running at 3.0ghz with case open temps was around 25c.... under load 32C...What power supply would be best watts wise? I figure with the OCZ ram this board and 945 everything should OC nicely but in my case not so much lol

Help me out guys!! lol

Thanks

I have basically the same setup and I have no problem getting 4000+ Mhz. It is bench stable at 4400Mhz. What bios revision are you using? I know the older revision is good for 300Mhz so I couldn't see yours being any worse being it is C2D ready. You do need a very strong PSU to OC Pentium D's to those levels but you can't go by wattage on PSU's. You should go by amps on the 12V rail to judge how good a PSU is. I would recommend any decent PSU with at least 38-40amps combined on the 12V rail. Some decent brands to choose from are PC power & cooling, Forton, OCZ, Sparkle. I have a Aero-Cool Zero DBA 620W and it does the job with out sweating. Although the Zero-DBA series is the only PSU's I would consider by Aero-Cool. They are very well built and silent running even under heavy loads.

Hey thanks for the response, I am using the latest bios 1207 I believe it is....I understand that I need a solid PSU with higher amps and such, but why was I able to get 3.9ghz on old ****ty ddr 266 ram no prob... but the new mobo no such luck using decent ram? I def will be looking for more solid power supply that's foresure I know I need one... I just looked on mine and the 12V+ says for DC output 15a so I would say that's pretty week and most likely the main issue... Now your ram your using are u using DDR 2 667 as well and oc'd to the speeds in ur sig? If I just leave the OC on the cpu alone, and want to bump my ram up whats the best way to do that? what timmings would I want to use and do I need to adjust the volts for the ram manually or will the auto feature work just fine for that?

Thanks

Well as far as ram goes I've owned the same exact ram and it has a pretty low ceiling so I would use a divider to achieve the best OC. As you choose higher FSB you will have the option to run the ram at slower speeds. I know that ram will run @700MHz 3-4-4-8 (2.1V). Yes you will have to manually adjust the timings and voltage. You will not be able to OC the ram separately on this board. I'm not really sure why your last board would allow a higher overclock but I'm guessing you had less load on the PSU. Did you also upgrade your GPU? I currently have some Team group D9's rated at 667Mhz @ 867Mhz (my sig is outdated). I wouldn't try and OC to high with that PSU because it might just go up in smoke and take a few things with it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
There's no interuption UC that's what the forums are all about. Your post was helpful and gave Chizzer some more options. I know the Enermax liberty line are great PSU's but I personally couldn't recommend it because I have never built/used one first hand. Your Pentium D system seems very strong. What's your highest stable bench speed?

I went as high as 275fbs @1.56v on my last mobo P5WD2-E, using watter cooling. But now i can do 260FSB @1.40v using Zalman9500 cooler, rock stable, temps get a little high for my liking, around 60c at max load, so i keep it at 240FSB. @1.36v.

Its fast enough for me where it is now and im happy with it.

And i suggested Enermax, because its my 2nd Enermax PSU in the last 7 years. First one lasted me 5 years, since P3 800 system that i had on Abit BX-II mobo. Which i later used for my P4 system for a while, after that it slowly died on me.

So its been about 2 years and im on my 2nd Enermax PSU running strong.

So my ram is DDR 667 Memory timmings are 4-4-4-12...I have another PSU nothing much better then my other one but it's 17a instead of 15a for the +12v... say to to juts bump it up to ddr2 750 just to start what would be needed? I looked for this "ratio" you where talking about but found nothing of the sorts in the bios....older stuff I never had an issue with oc'in but been outta for so long that it's all new to me again...

Thanks guys!!

OH yeah as well "I would recommend any decent PSU with at least 38-40amps combined on the 12V rail" What exactly would I be combining to see 38-40amps? When I look on the side of my PSU I see +3.3v=14a, +5v=35a, +12v=17a.... 360 watt max... so what does that tell me or you guys?

I dont know how the total AMP's are calculated of combined rails on a PSU. As you can see on the Enermax Liberty PSU, link above, you can see that its; +12v1 22AMP, +12v2 22AMP, =32Amps. Thus you have 32A for your system to use, constant current suplied, much better then 17A for your system.

And set your DDR voltage to 2.1v in bios.

Ill get the manual for you mobo and see what settings you have in there.

Is your mobo just "P5LD2" ? Or is it SE, Deluxe, V, VM-SE, VM-DH??

Edit;

Ok, your mobo is pretty straight forward.

AI Overclocking - Manual
Set your Dram Frequency to 800 or lower, and keep it under 800.
Set your ram to 5-5-5-15 ( use that for now to find max CPU FSB)
PCI Express Freq - 100
PCI Clock Syncro Mode - 33.33
Memory Voltage - 2.1
CPU Core Voltage - 1.36v,

Hyper Path 3 - disable
Peg Root Control - Disable.

The rest set it to auto.

If you have stability issues as your raise FSB, raise your voltage as needed, if its still unstable, then check your temps, stay under 40c Idle, or under 60 at max load.
And if things are still unstable then time to get a new PSU.

Last edited:
Back to the PSU question I was refuring to the total voltage of the 12V rail. You currently have a single rail PSU because the specs say +12V=15a but if it were to have mutiple rails it would say something to the effect +12V1=20a, +12V2=19a. That is the specs on my PSU. Your Ram frequency will have options depending on what FSB you are using as Uglychild has said. Your choices @ 250Mhz are:

800Mhz
667Mhz
533Mhz
400Mhz

Dividers allow you to under clock or overclock your ram. This also allows you to fine tune your ram for max speed.

Hey Thanks, yeah I have just the P5LD2... So I just want to make sure I follow you.... say I leave my CPU as default 200 FSB but on Manual... I should be able to adjust the ram to the specs u state then just up the fsb as i go until it's not stable?

In regards to the PSU I got what you mean now by the 12 volt rails thanks for clarifying :) I learn something new everyday :)

I will check out the suggested options and go from there... and if no go then get a new PSU right? which I should get anyway regardless!

Thanks Guys!!!

UglyChild said:
I dont know how the total AMP's are calculated of combined rails on a PSU. As you can see on the Enermax Liberty PSU, link above, you can see that its; +12v1 22AMP, +12v2 22AMP, =32Amps. Thus you have 32A for your system to use, constant current suplied, much better then 17A for your system.

And set your DDR voltage to 2.1v in bios.

Ill get the manual for you mobo and see what settings you have in there.

Is your mobo just "P5LD2" ? Or is it SE, Deluxe, V, VM-SE, VM-DH??

Edit;

Ok, your mobo is pretty straight forward.

AI Overclocking - Manual
Set your Dram Frequency to 800 or lower, and keep it under 800.
Set your ram to 5-5-5-15 ( use that for now to find max CPU FSB)
PCI Express Freq - 100
PCI Clock Syncro Mode - 33.33
Memory Voltage - 2.1
CPU Core Voltage - 1.36v,

Hyper Path 3 - disable
Peg Root Control - Disable.

The rest set it to auto.

If you have stability issues as your raise FSB, raise your voltage as needed, if its still unstable, then check your temps, stay under 40c Idle, or under 60 at max load.
And if things are still unstable then time to get a new PSU.

Be very careful because if your PSU goes up in smaoke it could take out other hardware. At 15amps there is no maybe that you won't be able to OC you power hungry 945 to decent levels. IMO you should wait until you buy a better PSU. You still did not answer my question of how much could you spend on a PSU?:confused:

My apologies man, welp I am in Canada so I would say my max would be 90+taxish.....or if I see one that's quite abit better for 10-15$ more then I would do that...

bignick said:
Be very careful because if your PSU goes up in smaoke it could take out other hardware. At 15amps there is no maybe that you won't be able to OC you power hungry 945 to decent levels. IMO you should wait until you buy a better PSU. You still did not answer my question of how much could you spend on a PSU?:confused:

In regard to the CPU I would leave it at stock levels for now, how about ram though would I be safe to oc just the ram?

bignick said:

Was just checkin prices locally here... found this PSU

Enermax Liberty 500W ATX 12V Ver2.2 129$ Cad
Rail: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Max. Load 28A 30A 22A 22A 0.6A 3A
DC Output 160W 384W ( 30A ) 7.2W 15W
Total Power 500W

Or this one less power and 2amps less
Enermax Liberty 400W ATX 12V Ver2.2
Rail: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Max. Load 26A 26A 20A 20A 0.6A 3A
DC Output 150W 360W ( 30A ) 7.2W 15W
Total Power 400W

Seems like at the local shop who's normally the cheapest Enermax seems to be the best ones they carry in regards to amps... they have other models however there only single rail and 30amps... and there a matter of 5-12$ cheaper..... Soo appears I would be spending about 130$ at least for a good solid PSU....

Hmmm just found this one as well which has triple 12 volt rails.
Antec TruePower TRIO 550W ATX12V 120mm Fan
OUTPUT
+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +5V SB -12V
Max. Load 24A* 24A* 18A* 18A 18A 3.0A 0.8A
Min. Load 0.5A 0.5A 1A 1A 1A 0A 0A
Load Reg. ±3% ±3% ±3% ±3% ±3% ±3% ±6%
Ripple V(p-p) 50mV 50mV 120mV 120mV 120mV 50mV 120mV
* +12V1, 12V2,12V3 maximum output 504 Watts max.

That one is 119$....

So whats your takes on the ANTEC PSU's??

Thanks Guys :)

You will not be able to OC just the ram because the P5LD2 is not native 800Mhz. Meaning at 200Mhz FSB your highest option is 667Mhz. You have to OC the processor to achieve higher ram speeds. You could tighen the timings and run then at stock oe slightly OC'ed to gain speed. They should run at 3-4-4-8 2.1V @ 700Mhz. You could OC the processor slightly to get the extra 30 or so Mhz and you should be fine. I would stay away from that triple rail PSU because I'm sure 18amps will not be enough for the hungry 945. I would go for the Liberty 500W if you can swing it. The specs on the 400W are good enough but I have my doughts on that one.

Yeah I called the store and the guy said the double rail would be better so I might go for the Enermax 500... So by adjusting the timmings that tweaks the speed jus abit eh.. theh timmings u stated should that work at the 667 speeds? and would I adjust the timmings only or bump the V up as well to 2.1? anything that u would see or more so on benchmarks?

bignick said:
You will not be able to OC just the ram because the P5LD2 is not native 800Mhz. Meaning at 200Mhz FSB your highest option is 667Mhz. You have to OC the processor to achieve higher ram speeds. You could tighen the timings and run then at stock oe slightly OC'ed to gain speed. They should run at 3-4-4-8 2.1V @ 700Mhz. You could OC the processor slightly to get the extra 30 or so Mhz and you should be fine. I would stay away from that triple rail PSU because I'm sure 18amps will not be enough for the hungry 945. I would go for the Liberty 500W if you can swing it. The specs on the 400W are good enough but I have my doughts on that one.

Yes tighting the timing will increase your speed. In my testing your ram will be faster at 700Mhz@ 3-4-4-8 than 800Mhz 5-5-5-15. And yes you will need to bump the voltage to 2.1V for stability with those timing @667-700Mhz. You will be able to see it in benchmarks such as super pi and 3Dmark. Nothing earth shattering but you will see increases.

Back