• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with a server ibm xseries 342

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knightwolf6543

so i got this thing off ebay a few months ago and finnaly bought the hdd for it (2x scsi 18gb) nothing to big, it has duel p3 @1.3Ghz and 512 ram, i bought it to fold but i cant get it to instal a oc on it! i will start it up and after it goes through the whole bios thing it will ask for a disk and press f1. ok what disk i dident get a disk :( is there a way to bypass this? i have even unpluged the floppy drive and nothing. still does it. i was able to get it to load linux once but i had no drives to instal it on. so mabey its some drivers or something? please help

thanks.

You probably need to download an .iso for a bootable cd used to create a raid array... Have you tried to enter bios and look at the boot options?

Pull er' apart and find the model and manufacuer of the motherboard or scsi card. I too just got a dual P3 board and chips to replace the PII in my server (much slower than yours 450Mhz) It has an onboard scsi conroller. (dont have any scsi disks for it yet though still using IDE.

Search the board up on the manufacuers website and look for raid utilities or the like. Check Faqs etc. The info will more than likely be there.

Can you get into the OS install at all?
If not then you might need to change the boot order in bios so that it reads the CD-ROM.

Most OSes require a 3rd party raid driver to be installed right at the beginning of installation (windows does it asks you to push F1 or something i think [EDIT: Its F6]) in order to allow the OS to allocate the raid disk space.

Last edited:
That sequence means that it hasn't found a bootable device and is looking for boot media, defaults to FDD. Have you gone into BIOS and checked for errors? Also, have you gone into the SCSI Adapter BIOS and verified that you have disks that are detected?

Here's the driver link for the system:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4WYKLK

If it has a ServeRAID adapter, the disks/arrays need to be set up prior to installation. CD ISO here:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=SERV-RAID

Finally, the Hardware Maintenance Manual is always helpful:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-43740

First off, yes... it seems like the rig is asking for some sort of bootable media to beign the instal. Most of the time this will mean FDD or CD-ROM media.

Second. A few questions to the OP
What OS are you trying to load??
Have you set up the raid array in BIOS yet??
And can you find out what raid controler / motherboard is in the server so you can find the right drivers for it so that you will be able to let the OS use said raid array??

1. i have tried loading ubuntu, windows 95, and windows server 2003

2. no

3. i will look later right now my room is a mess and am tired from a day of work and school :bang head

Back