• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing backplane from a case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I'm trying to resurrect my stepfather's computer (Dimension 4600) and we had previously agreed on a new PSU and case, but there's no way the original mobo will fit in the new (standard) case, and no way the new PSU will fit in the Dell case, so he said I could replace the motherboard. Ended up with an ECS 661GX-M...I prefer Asus, but this was the only 478 board I could find locally on emergency notice (he wants his rig back as soon as possible).

Case is an Ultra Wizard ATX. The backplate that came in the case doesn't match the motherboard. Is there an easy(easier) way to remove a case backplate?

Dreamstalker said:
I'm trying to resurrect my stepfather's computer (Dimension 4600) and we had previously agreed on a new PSU and case, but there's no way the original mobo will fit in the new (standard) case, and no way the new PSU will fit in the Dell case, so he said I could replace the motherboard. Ended up with an ECS 661GX-M...I prefer Asus, but this was the only 478 board I could find locally on emergency notice (he wants his rig back as soon as possible).

Case is an Ultra Wizard ATX. The backplate that came in the case doesn't match the motherboard. Is there an easy(easier) way to remove a case backplate?
Should just pop out....assuming you're talking about the I/O plate (for the motherboard connectors like usb, serial, ps2, audio, network, etc)

All you should have to do is push the I/O plate from the back of the case into the case, some are harder to remove than others. lmk if you have any other questions.

-Gary

the garynator said:
Should just pop out....assuming you're talking about the I/O plate (for the motherboard connectors like usb, serial, ps2, audio, network, etc)

All you should have to do is push the I/O plate from the back of the case into the case
Unfortunately, many PC's don't have a removable I/O plate, the openings are just stamped to accomodate the ports for that model and will not readily accept any mobo other than stock.
This could be one such....

the garynator said:

All you should have to do is push the I/O plate from the back of the case into the case, some are harder to remove than others.
Yeah, it's the I/O panel which is removeable (or so it appears). It doesn't seem to want to come out at all. It looks like this one has tiny tabs on the edges that may be holding it in... I would think that case manufacturers would make the panel easily removeable to accomodate any motherboard (case and mobo were pirchased seperately; I could have tried to reuse the original Dell board but that would be more trouble than it was worth and may not work).

EDIT: OK, this thing is not coming out. I know it was designed to...I may be able to bend one corner in and then wiggle it out that way, but I'm flexing the aluminum of the case by doing this and don't want to ruin anything. It seems like I'll have to just hack it up with tinsnips and get it out that way...or at least cut the inside lip off. Advisable? I'm not modding this case at all.

Last edited:
Back