• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata Hard Drive Please Help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

I read the Sata 101 Guide. Just making sure I got this right. My friends Hard drive failed, so he went out and bought New hard drive. It was a sata hard drive and I did not know how to install XP on to it, so I used an old 20 gig hard drive until I could figure out how to use the Sata as a extra hard drive. So this is what I'm looking at Windows Xp running on 20 gig hard drive and I wanna use the sata as a back up. But I can't get windows to see it. So what I have to do is
Download the latest drivers from your manufacturer’s website for their SATA controller and put them on the floppy.
Run setup from the XP CD
At the bottome of the screen you should see a prompt to press F6
Press F6 and have that floppy ready
Wait a few moments and Setup will help you load the set of drivers

Be gentel! It almost the Holidays.

Using f6 is for the XP setup only. If sp2 is installed it should have the driver available for a storage disk. You may have to enable the chipset in the bios that controls the sata port. You may also need to press an appropriate key during boot to enter the sata bios and set up the drive.

Can you list the mobo see we can see the manual?

Mb is Asus K8V SE Deluxe...When it come to the bios I'm clue less. So I never touch anything in the bios b/c I don't know what does what lol. But can learn. And follow Directions.

It depends, if you want to use the sata as storage then you can enable the promise controler in bios as ata in advanced options, these are the lower connectors and primary is on the right. You may need to enter the raid bios by pressin the proper f key during boot.
If you use the via ports that are the top two primary is below secondary. you enter the raid bios by pressing the tab key during boot if needed.This is probably the better option.There were no directions specific to using the ports as ata but mentions there are instructions on the driver disk that came with the mobo.

let us know how it goes.

Well I figured out his problem. Drivers for the Raid controllers were not installed. But I figured this out after he bought another Ultra ata 120 gig hard drive. So I took out his old 20 gig and installed Xp on the new 120 gig hard drive. Since I found out how to do the SATA on my computer I'm keeping the hard drive for myself since I could use the extra storage. Waiting for the formatting to finsh so I can start using it. Ty for the help.

Back