• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Monitor, Execute Bit Disable and Virtualization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

My mobo's BIOS(P5LD2) Deluxe has all these 3 settings. I read somewhere that it is recommended to disable all this 3 settings to improve overclocking stability. Is it true? I know Thermal Monitor helps to monitor overheating. If I disable this will it harm my CPU? I'm not sure about the other two features. Do I really need them? I'm using Pent D 930 overclocked to 4.0Ghz btw. Running 3 Orthos at the same time(Small,Large and Gromacs) for stability. Thanks.

yea, just disable them.

the "thermal monitoring" i believe just drops the multi to 14x when the PC is idling.

INFO

wyemarn said:
My mobo's BIOS(P5LD2) Deluxe has all these 3 settings. I read somewhere that it is recommended to disable all this 3 settings to improve overclocking stability. Is it true? I know Thermal Monitor helps to monitor overheating. If I disable this will it harm my CPU? I'm not sure about the other two features. Do I really need them? I'm using Pent D 930 overclocked to 4.0Ghz btw. Running 3 Orthos at the same time(Small,Large and Gromacs) for stability. Thanks.
Don't be surprised when you disable virtualization it will shut off your computer and restart it when you save the bios. It shocked the hell out of me the first time. Just so you dont worry you f----- something up.

Running 3 Orthos at the same time(Small,Large and Gromacs) for stability

seems a bit excessive. As far as I know, Orthos is simply 1 program that runs 2 instances of prime 95 to push both cores to the max. You don't need to run "dual orthos" like you needed to run "dual prime" before. When you open one instance of orthos and set it to "small" you should see the utilization on both cores go to 100% without any problem. Not that running 3 instances at once is bad, but it's not doing anything more than 1 instance.

My 930(B1 stepping) only supports TM1. Does the CPU's multiplier drops to 14X when idle? Anyone can confirm this?

I have tried running 3 Orthos with Execute Bit Disable enabled and got Blue Screen like Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error. What does this mean? If I disable it, I don't get any Blue Screen. So should I enable or disable Execute Bit Disable? Any benefits for this for daily computer usage(games, internet and occasionaly encoding/decoding)?

I'm not sure 1 instance of Orthos is enough. I want to make sure my system is completely stable so I tried 3 at the same time. Is 1 instance really enough to ensure stability? Which one is the best to stress the system?

wyemarn said:
I'm not sure 1 instance of Orthos is enough. I want to make sure my system is completely stable so I tried 3 at the same time. Is 1 instance really enough to ensure stability? Which one is the best to stress the system?
yes, one instance is enough to max out both cores 100%.

if you really wanna stress it, use priority 10, and don't use blend, use the one that focuses on cpu.

bear in mind, with priority 10, your computer will be basically useless for anything else you may want to do with it. it will be sluggish and slow until you stop the test.

test it out and see for yourself. open up task manager and click on the performance tab so you can see the cpu utilization. then open one instance of orthos, set it to small fft's or whatever it is, hit "go" and watch the chart. That's all you need. Let that run for 24 hours and then you can be pretty sure you are stable.

Back