• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel laptop questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itachi2k4

Im about to buy a laptop, probably a dell. The inspirions only can be upgraded to a 7900gs and the xps have better stuff. Is it possible to buy the buy a diff video card from ebay like a go7900gtx or any other laptop video card and put it in the inspirion?

Thanks in advance.

You can fit a Go7900GTX in the E1705

However, I'm not sure about the new 7950GTX

There's some minor "modding" to make the GTX fit in the E1705, but nothing serious, just removing a few bits of plastic to make it fit.

The 7900GS's actually overclock quite well. I have mine running at faster than GTX speeds. (I think it lacks a few pipes compared to the GTX, also some RAM...but the performance is still pretty good.) I score right at 5000 on 3DMark06.

I'd recommend getting as fast of a CPU as you can afford, I bought mine before the C2D's were out, so I have a Core Duo 1.83Ghz. It's not bad, but I'd sure love to have a C2D 2.33Ghz.

But I really recommend the Dell Inspirons. They are a great deal, you get pretty good performance for a low price. (Mine was $1530 shipped, , and you can now get one with a C2D (Merom) for around the same price.

But like Nik said, notebookforums.com or Notebookreview.com (Forums) are great places to get all the answers.

Usually to get the XPS graphics card in you have to do some modding... notebookforums are the best place to go for that stuff...

Yeah, I've seen it done. Just make sure that the cooling and power supply can handle it

Also, bigger GFX cuts battery life

well, the cooling comes with the new card, so that should be ok....but as for power, I think that you have to get a 130W power supply instead of the 90W power supply that comes with the E1705

Dell gives you the option to buy one with the laptop when you order. (It also gives you adapters for car and planes, etc)

Back