• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System upgrade - will I have to reformat/reinstall Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I'll be upgrading my system in the next few days and I just wanted to know if, along with everything else I'll have to do, if I'll need to reformat/reinstall Windows. This is what's changing:

Athlon 64 3000+ 939 -> Opteron 165
MSI K8N Neo2 Plat (nForce 3 Ultra) -> DFI NF4 SLI-D (nForce 4 SLI)
PNY 6800 GT -> eVga 7900GT 512MB

I will uninstall the drivers (mainboard, video, SATA/ide, etc.) before installing the new hardware.

Will I, or should I have to reinstall Windows? I'd do it anyways except I have XP set/tweaked just the way I want it and don't feel like doing it all again (I've actually done it a few times the last few months b/c of HD changes), as well as all of the installed programs (I'm assuming I'd have to reinstall them all even though I have Windows on C:\ and all programs and everything else on my D:\ partition).

If I don't have to, any tips or things I may forget to do in order to make sure it works right?

Thanks!

You should be able to swap everything and have it run fine, it might not be as fast as a clean install would be but should be more than usable. I have done motherboard+cpu+video swaps without even uninstalling the old drivers and everything worked alright, but I reformatted 2 days later anyways.

So what kind of a BIOS setting would you set for that? Disable quick boot?

As much as I hate looking at the install of Windows. I always mention. Fresh install for fresh hardware.

You can try a lot of tricks to keep your install. Sure it seems easier. Overall you save time and effort just writing the data to a backup. Then reinstalling fresh.

Since your more then likely will not get everything. If you are asking how to keep the current for a new build. One would assume you do not know how to rip out drivers and make sure it s ready for the next build.

Lest we not forget the registry. It houses all our data in Windows. Who cares what the rest of the machine says.

Just do a healthy backup and start redoing your machine the right way. Unless you have the skillz to rip stuff out. It saves many many many many headaches later on.

Back